heddon bamboo fly rod and reel # 10..??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ENGLISH202

heddon bamboo fly rod and reel # 10..??

Post by ENGLISH202 »

in my local paper this ad reads;;;;;;'antique fly rod and reel, bamboo, 4 piece set,complete with original canvas case, made by heddon # 10...I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THIS IS WORTH LOOKING INTO? AND DOES ANYONE KNOW ITS VALUE? THANKS FOR A GREAT SITE...PATRICK
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Heddon Bamboo Fly Rod

Post by Don Champion »

Don't know it's value, but I had one once, and I wish I still had it. It was a nice rod! The 4th piece is an extra tip. This rod is put together with animal glue and will come apart if it gets wet, so take care if you buy it.
Don Champion
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The #10 is a nice rod and if EX, would probably bring $350-500. However, you have to really know what you're doing when you buy old fly rods...these collectors are PICKY! If the tip has been trimmed (typically, all four sections should be the same length) or is a guide has been repaired/replaced or the bamboo has "flaming" or problems with the original varnish..or it has been over-varnished with modern varnish, the collector value drops like a rock! So, if you can get it for cheap or you just like it and want to keep it, go for it! If for investment, watch out!

Post by Guest »

:o :?: :idea: :type: I just looked at the 2003 Antique fishing rods by D.B. Hormel , be very careful!(#10 trout fly rod featherweight 7 1/2 (2/2) from 135 350 and 595) #10 trout fly rod 8 ft 3/2 100, 265, 435 ) 310 salmon fly rod 9 ft (3/20 cira 1935 60 ,145, 275 ) #10 heavy salmon fly rod 9ft (3/2) 60 , 145, 275. and the advise youalready have if that rod gas any flaws, ie varnish, or guide wraps thin or faded. tip split or if any of the furels are bad or any rod sections are warped, the the price drops like the Stock market crash of 1929! just be careful bamboo rods need to be perfect for us colectors or we walk! I biught a headon 10 trout rod a dawajiac in may of 2003 , had a section the spare tip was split and a lot of varnis ware cost ? $25.00 and it had the cloth sleave. nuf said Col. milton lorens aka SWIM JIG