Avalon Drag Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GeigerNY
Frequent Board Poster

Avalon Drag Question

Post by GeigerNY »

Just arrived today ,while the family garthers for turkey I am sitting at workbench pondering how to start taking this drag apart. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to disassemble this Williams drag. Think it must be from 1916 but do not have catalogue from that year.
Stamped "Williams Pflueger" very faint. Any thoughts or idea would be a great help.
Thanks
George Geiger
New E-mail address for me http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?pfluegerreel

For pictures of drag http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?pfluegerreel
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think you just keep backing off of the drag and the cap unscrews off. That should reveal a screw underneath. At least, thats how the other similar looking versions come apart. Unfortunately this was one of the drawbacks of the earlier designs (falling off while fishing) and so you see the more common version that looks like a star. That version doesn't come apart simply by turning the star backwards. I didn't realize they came in so many versions but there are at least 4. I've also seen one without the "fin" that just has knurling around the rim.
GeigerNY
Frequent Board Poster

Thanks

Post by GeigerNY »

Reel is apart and well on it way to being cleaned. Thanks again.
George :P
RonLewis
Frequent Board Poster

avalon

Post by RonLewis »

Nice to see there are still some Avalons out there. Anyone got a spare? I'd like to give myself one for Xmas.
GeigerNY
Frequent Board Poster

Thanks

Post by GeigerNY »

Here is the Avalon after completion of conservation. Thanks Guys for your help. http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?pfluegerreel
Geogre Geiger
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Williams drag

Post by Jim Madden »

Speaking of Williams drag... I saw an Ebay reel listed as a "Williams" reel with a bulldog logo. Pflueger was misspelled as well, and a $49.00 "Buy It Now" was staring me in the face. Obviously, the actual name of the reel was overlooked. Do you take a chance without taking time to email? Heck, yes! That's part of the thrill of the search. I didn't even email after I hit the button. Well, ten days later I opened the box with much anticipation, and this Par emerges. This is definitely a "before" pic. The Williams info I read here will be helpful when I tackle it this weekend. Anything I should remember about the disassembley of this particular drag? Does anyone know what they call that pop-out shaft with the strike plate at the end that forms a click one way and an anti-reverse the other way? There is a later SB reel with the same concept, (800 Smoothcast from 1954-55). Hope the pic comes through. Jim
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... mepage/par
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Par & Williams Drag

Post by Brian F. »

Jim,

Another member just won a 400 yard size Par the same way. I guess it's easy to overlook the name. These are definitely harder than the Oceanics, Everlasters and even Templars. Your reel being the smaller size (250 or 300 yd?) makes it even nicer.

The drag does have a lot of pieces. You need to work out the center "screw" simultaneously with backing off on the star - alternating in turning each one. Looks like the screw is already part way off on your reel. Once the two are off, there's a flat head slot on a brass piece that also unscrews. Once that comes off, washers and other parts should pull off.

The spring loaded pin is referred to by pflueger as a drag handle stop. It came on the Par and Templar from the factory but they also sold them separately to add on other reels.

Yeeha, nice catch Jim!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Par

Post by Jim Madden »

Thanks, Brian. It's the 300 yard Par. I've printed the info on the drag parts and look forward to getting it apart. If I get stuck, I know where to find you. Paul, thanks for putting together a site where we can learn so much. Cheers, Jim