Need info on Meeks No. 11

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ksanglin
Big ORCA Fan

Need info on Meeks No. 11

Post by ksanglin »

Hi. I'm new here and am looking for information. I have a Meeks No. 11 reel in great shape, but can not find any listings for it in any of my reference books. Where can I look for past sales figures or auction sales? I don't know all the rules for this board so let me know if I'm at the wrong posting and I'll move on. Thanks. Ken.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Stu Lawson's book shows a B.F. Meek and Sons #11 went for $3000, so unless yours was made by Harley Meeks of Staunton, Indiana, you have a winner! Welcome to our board!
ksanglin
Big ORCA Fan

Meeks No. 11 Reel

Post by ksanglin »

Thanks for both the welcome and the information. I have had a great deal of response regarding this reel, and to be fair to all parties, have decided to put it up for bid on eBay starting this coming week. It should be very interesting to see what happens as I've be told that it will sell anywhere between $500 to $6000! Now that is quite a spread. So pass the word about this sale. If nothing else, it will be very entertaining. As a side note, I am also going to put up a couple of other items of collectible tackle. Regards, Ken Anglin.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Shock and Awe

Post by Brian F. »

:shock: :D Well done Ken, looks like you stumbled on two winners! (and they weren't the Harley versions John E. referred to above) Did the person who told you the Meek #11 would sell for $500 offer to "take it off your hands"? See the fireworks at 3644203799 & 3645156602

Happy Holidays everyone and Aloha!
Brian
ksanglin
Big ORCA Fan

Meek Reel & Trory Lure on eBay

Post by ksanglin »

Thanks for the "At-a-boy" Brian. I knew that both of these where winners, but did not know to this degree! And I still have 2 days left on the lure. What is interesting is the number of collectors and dealers who have emailed me about THEIR Trory lure and Meek No. 11 reel. I'm going to feel bad going back to selling my regular $50 items after this. Regards to all from the stormy northwest coast of California, Ken.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Call the insurance man?

Post by Brian F. »

I was going to say that I could hear the rustling from everyone scrambling to pull out their Meek 11s to adjust their insurance policies. I held off because I wasn't sure how many there reelly were in the world. Maybe there are a few more out there (or some of your emailers would like to believe they have one!) That was a nice reel.