Meisselbach question for the OG (Old Geezer)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jack S
Frequent Board Poster

Meisselbach question for the OG (Old Geezer)

Post by Jack S »

I have what I think is an Expert #33. Are there any identifying markings on a #33? Did Hermos make a #33 after the buy-out? Are there any other tube-framed trolling reels that are similar to the #33? I'm in the process of cleaning it and don't see any markings yet. Thanks for any help!

Jack S
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Meisselbach #33

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jack: My Meisselbach 33 is stamped "A.F. Meisselbach & Bro / Newark N.J." It is NIB and shows the Good Luck trademark on the box, but this doesn't show on the reel. There is no number marking on the frame. The Ocean City Hermos version I have is stamped "Hermos Reel". I would guess that a pre-1906 Meisselbach Expert 33 might not have any stamping on it. There are no patents of which I am aware, that apply specifically to the #33, so those early reels might have no markings at all. The Expert #33 is one of the scarcer Meisselbach reels.
Jack S
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Jack S »

Hey, Phil;

I finally finished cleaning up my reel. I think you can see it is marked "HERMOS REEL", so it's not the true Meisselbach (rats!). But it's as close as I've come in many years of looking!

I didn't realize the #33 was produced that early (pre-'06). Thanks for the great info (as always)!

Jack
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Not so great information

Post by Reel Geezer »

to all who read my answer above and Jack's response: The 33 was not produced as early as I implied. That's what happens when old geezer's use their memory instead of their books. The Expert #33 is not shown in the 1913 catalog, but is shown in the 1918 catalog. I have a gap between those years. I don't know when it first came out.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Bad Info!!

Post by Harvey »

Geez,
That is what happens when we aquire that old "Foot- in Mouth" syndrome. (I know quite well!) It can also lead to the dreaded "Hands-in Pocket" and "Head up ones A**" affiction. It can be easily cured by a steady medication of "Books-in-Hands" or "Refer-to-Notes" treatment.
Please don't worry about your mistakes. We wouldn't know half of what we do know if it wasn't for you and your research.
Wishing you and the "Rubber Reel Lady a Happy Holidays,
"Ol' Tounge-in-Cheek" Harvey