DOES THIS AD HAVE A SMELL TO IT ??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelsptsmn
Big ORCA Fan

DOES THIS AD HAVE A SMELL TO IT ??

Post by Reelsptsmn »

While checking out a big auction site, today, I came across an ad offering a "First Model Supreme" for bid. In the description, it mentions a date of Xmas 1915 for a date of the reel case. However, the reel's serial number is: 10,314 ( which to my way of dating Supremes should have been made in 1923 ( or 1922, at the earliest). Also, his description of the handle doesnt seem to ring true. I guess thats why he isnt posting pictures, with his listing (#3647617337) Thanks for letting me Rant, Bruce
Harvey
Super Board Poster

A $600.00 Buy It Now!!

Post by Harvey »

I know nothing about Pflueger reels but that is about what Shakespeare bought the whole company for in 1966.
:lol: :bow:
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

First model

Post by Jim Madden »

Bruce, sometimes a little knowledge (like I have about Pflueger) can be dangerous. The seller is a club member and a person whom I know would never mislead anyone knowingly. I know he'd appreciate being alerted about any contradictions in his posting. I was thinking about having him send me a picture too. Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Dating Supremes

Post by Brian F. »

How do you use the serial numbers to get the date of Supreme reels?
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

I am not sure on what serial numbers correspond to which changes in the Supreme reel over the years. However, I would guess that the higher serial number definitely "could" match up with the smooth amber handles instead of the ribbed one's. So the reel itself is probably correct, IMHO. That reel would have been made about 1919 through 1922 according to it's description, with the douglas Patent on it.

If that case was given with a Pflueger Supreme in 1915, it should have been the earliest one with ivory counter-balanced handle. The earliest one (1915/1916 model) would have a "Patent Applied For" stamped on it.

It is a very easy mistake to make with the early Supremes. Most people don't even know there were several versions of the earliest round Supreme, let alone, matching it up with a date on a leather case.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:o :!: :?: :idea: :type: Well one thig is for certaqin, he lives just a very few miles from me and always has some nice reels, he did tell me its not the falling line guide model, and it would make me belive the case is (not for the reel, however put together at a later date when that type of case was used . most liky a gift to someone. The 2 dates on the reel are correct! as for a serial # this has always been a up in the air item some claim its a total of all reels for a given period ie 1or2 years other paper notes say it was a assembly # for a specific model series, anyway its a hard one to find as it falls in the tranistion period of Supprems, Heck I may just call him and drive over to view it! and if allowed take a few pics! Col. m. Lorens aka SWIM JIG
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Applications for the patents for the Supreme's level wind were filed in Aug., 1916, and 1917, and it's highly unlikely any of the reels would have appeared on the market before the first filing.

I have an example with fluted, amber handles and serial no. 10,033. For all we know, whatever the supplier happened to supply might have determined whether the handles were fluted or smooth. Pyralin was a fairly new plastic at the time, and the Arlington Co. may have experimented with handle shapes.

Unless you're sure of your facts, it's not a great idea to make nasty implications about sellers or their listings, whether they're ORCA members or not.
reelspts

does this ad have a smell to it ?

Post by reelspts »

Steve, No "nasty" implications were intended. I was mearly questioning a listing that seemed to be wrong and perhaps worse. If this forum is not the proper place to air such concerns; where would you prefer that it be done ? Happy Holidays, Bruce
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:? :!: :?: :idea: :type: Enough! dogone, I have known Jim for several years, he knows his reels I have worked on some of his reels and he can own or does own anything he so desires! Lets understand somthing, NONE Of US Know everthing about these reels, and ORCA is or should be the first step in a learning stageon reels not a badgering stage! There is a lot that has never been published about pfluger reels And never will be be because that imfo has been lost or forgoten because of deaths etc. Supreme 1st modles bc (1907 -08 patent applied for dates include first and second versions of this reel, also parts were avalible from the mfg. for repair work and I too am guilty of putting parts on other reels to get them going again , in my 40 + years of reel work between my regular wprk I have done some strange things to get reels up and running again just like the Garcias I made for the fisherman that thought they had it all! I made up several red and Green garcias and called them the Christmas reels, Now what rarity do you supose tht will be 75 years from now? after we are all dead I did that 30 years ago and not to decive anyone!I have repaired a lot of Pflugers that have different end plates on reels just to keep them going a little longer! that was long before I ever heard of NFLcc or ORCA ! It would astound colectors to see brand new end plates with old dates or parts with no ID as the level wind assembly for Pfluger akrons etc. afterall thes parts interchanged with Bronson, shakespere, Pfluger and others. just like Van Hofs and Ocean City and true temper interchange, The only thing I can say about the reel in question is I dont think the case is as old as the reel, and NO I didnot work on the reel steve has for sale! Call him he has his phone # listed its (1-440-3560580)Col. Milton lorens aka SWIM JIG 1-440-988-2251