books

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kkbait
Big ORCA Fan

books

Post by kkbait »

Which books on collecting do you all think are the best?
I am mainly interested in Bronson and Shakespeare bait casting reels
Last edited by kkbait on Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Books on Collecting

Post by piscesman »

Books for collecting are in direct relationship to the reels you are collecting. I for one collect Mitchell Reels. The "Mitchell" book I have has been long sold out. Anyone who has one isn't going to give it up any time soon. Once in a Blue Moon someone has one for auction on Ebay. Prices have gone in excess of $200 for it. There are other books that don't "specialize" in any one reel. Ben Price has a book out for spinning reels. Someone else on this site should have his e-mail address. Stu Lawson also has a fishing reel book out. It covers spinning, baitcasting and fly reels. Also an excellent price "guide & reference". Many others too numerous to mention.If you go to ebay click on search. Next click on advance search. Type in what you are looking for and see what pops up. Good luck. Helpful people on this site could give you tips too. If you're not an ORCA member you could join. Many benifits with 6 issues of Reel News per year. you would have access to anything in the ORCA library. Good luck in your search and welcome to the world of REEL collecting. Happy Holidays.
Kim :wink: :wink:
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Books

Post by Reel Geezer »

We have very few reel books. Certainly the best sources of information on Bronson and Shakespeare reels are this message board and The Reel News. We have had many articles about those two companies published in the past 14 years that provide information not found anywhere but in The Reel News.
michael anderson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by michael anderson »

What is the name of the Mitchell book, and who is the author? When was it printed? Just curious.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Mitchell book

Post by Jim Madden »

Mike, Dennis Roberts' book is entitled Mitchell Collector's Reference Guide published in 2002. I was fortunate enough to pick up #53 by ordering right away. I had no idea they would be so limited, but I do know how out-of-control publishing costs can be. Dan Skupien, (Vintage Fishing Reels of Sweden) will attest to that. The 250+ page book is high quality with beautiful pictures. It has already paid for itself with some finds I've been able to make as is the case with Dan's outstanding guide. I'm not surprised that the demand has become so great. If there's something you need to know, both Dennis and Dan have always been gracious enough to answer all my questions.
Ben
Advanced Board Poster

Books

Post by Ben »

Hi KKbaits,
I think Kim meant me Ben Wright.
you can view my book at http://orcaonline.org/reference_books.htm
I also live in upstate NY
michael anderson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by michael anderson »

Thanks for the info, Jim. It sounds like a nice book. Any idea how many were printed?
JMadden

Mitchell book

Post by JMadden »

Mike, I don't know how many were printed, and Dennis' email address has scrolled off my filing cabinet. Ben, do you have his email so someone can check to see if there will be another printing?
Ben
Advanced Board Poster

Books

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike and Jim,
Dennis had 500 books printed. I don't think that he is going to have a second printing, but you can check with him. his e-mail address is
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :!: :?: :idea: :type: The first stop to learn IS ORCA, and then check out the Liabray, they have a tremendous amount of items for sale, they also have a neat CD on pfluger facts, and as a member you can order all or almost all back issues of The Reel News , some well thought out items on these reels! As for Bronsons most all the parts interchange with shakespere, and south bend and a few Pfluger Models. Most all members in ORCA and for that mater some In NFLCC will and can help you, If you are not yet a member of ORCA then give yourself a belated Christmas gift, a membership to ORCA! Bob Miller is a regular on pflugers, I write a column on all reels Called the (REEL FIX) see the jan. 2004 issue for a hands on repair of a pfluger bait caster! You will find the most helpful group of Folks From age 17 (my grandson to the top end of (OLD GEASERS) that includes myself, As you handle some of these older reels its almost like shaking hands with hard working people that assembled these reel as most were assembled by human hands! When you buy a reel, someone made a wage that helped feed and roof their faimly, pay taxes and made a quality item so we might catch a fish or now display that reel, and whats best anyone can start a colection, as they are not alll that expensive! We at ORCA welcome you to a very addictive hobby, REEL COLECTING you are now (HOOKED) Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG your Ohio Conection