value of penn senator 118 16/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
fishingal
Big ORCA Fan

value of penn senator 118 16/0

Post by fishingal »

Can anybody give me a value on this reel. It is approx.
25 years old.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Penn

Post by Jim Madden »

BINGO! Lawson's price guide has it for $300 in good condition. Check Ebay completed items to get current collector worth. Congrats!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

16/0

Post by Brian F. »

Lawson's is a little low on this one as they have consistently sold for at least $600. There was a nice one that went for $800 last week.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Now that is a good question. Old Senators have been and will be around forever. They were mass-produced for ages, and thusly should garner limited collector interest.

Yet, as Brian noted, these reels have come up on ebay with huge bids. Why? I saw one bid up to $1000! What on earth? This frightens me into thinking that it's pretty easy to falsify a 118, since it was the same as a widened 117. Some new frame posts, a longer spool axle, a not-so-accidental scratch on the sideplate through the 7, and it's done. Scary.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Need box for older model 16/0 Senator

Post by joe klaus »

I have very good friend that will pay some SERIOUS bucks (over $1,000.00) for a correct box for an older model 16/0 Senator. There are two different types of boxes that will "work". One type is what I call the "man fishing" box because it has a bright label on front with picture of man fishing. The other type is called the "light house box". It is typically blue in color with picture of light house beacon on front label.

If anyone has one of these boxes, or knows where to get one, please email me.
joe klaus
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Fisherman and not collectors

Post by Brian F. »

From what it looks like to me, these are fisherman and not collectors bidding on the 16/0 for the most part. Many here in Hawaii still like to use the 16/0 because of the line capacity and I guess they'd rather pay for the reel than have a machinist modify one for them. Is there a reel with similar capacity that is still being made today by another manufacturer?

The exception is of course the one or two fellows that want the reel with the older box styles. I did forget about the auction that ended earlier this month at $1,600+ but they were after the box and not so much the reel. See #3640970758.

As they say many times, the box is rarer than the reel! I know of one fellow that upped his offer to $2,000 for just the box in his last request. I would imagine the blue light house box would be really nice. That style is much tougher than the surfcaster-style box for the old senators in general. If you have any of these boxes, please drop me a note!
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Thanks Brian

Post by joe klaus »

Brian:

I'm really glad you "pointed out" the Ebay transaction involving the 16/0 box. I've been extremely busy with my work during the last 4 or 5 months and haven't been paying much attention to ebay during the last month.

I can now say that "my friend" no longer needs the box for the 16/0, and I no longer have a buyer ready to pay "serious" money for one.

I haven't communicated with Gabby lately. I need to email him a congratulations. He's been searching for that box (diligently) for about a year (that I know of).
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

More out there

Post by Brian F. »

Joe, even with Gabby filling his need, there still seems to be at least several others that are willing to pay $1k+ for a nice reel and box. That still seems surprising.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Addendum on the reel size / line capacity thing, Brian: Yes. Everol has an 18/0 which is substantially larger, has lever drag with multidisc clutch and graduated drag scale, for a similar price. Which explains why several are sold to Hawaii. (Others go to the commercial hook & line tuna fishermen on the East coast). I wonder if the long-lived Everol 14/0 hasn't always been bigger as well.

Even so though, these reels pale in comparison to the giants of the '20's, '30's and '40's.