Anyone remember Gadabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Anyone remember Gadabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman?

Post by gadabout »

If you do, please visit my discussion board at
http://www.gadaboutgaddis.com/
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

The Flying Fisherman

Post by Richard Lodge »

Heck yes, I remember Gadabout Gaddis on TV. Got some of my first fishing tips by watching his show as a kid. I checked out your EZBoard site, Gadabout. Interesting info there. What got you so interested in The Flying Fisherman, anyway?
By the way, I just picked up a first edition hard back copy of Gaddis' book, The Flying Fisherman, signed by the man himself, I think. I say "I think" because I've never seen his signature, so I'm assuming it is his inside the fly leaf of the book. I had seen loads of his books around in paperback, but hardback is hard to come by, eh? If I sent you a jpg of the signature could you ID it as his? Just curious. Thanks!
Richard
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Compare it to this.

Post by Harvey »

gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

Richard,

Thanks for your interest. I became interested in Gadabout when I was a kid. His TV series debuted in the New York metro area right around the time that I first became fascinated with fishing when I was about seven years old. No one in my family really ever took me fishing back then so Gadabout was sort of like an uncle or grandfather who took me fishing every week courtesy of the TV screen. I have been a diehard fan ever since and have collected a wealth of information about him.

I also have a signed copy of his book. Yes, the hardcover ones are much harder to come by and the signed ones harder still. The signature looks like what is in Harvey's post. My copy says "Good Fishing. Gadabout Gaddis". If you're still unsure, feel free to send me a jpeg and I will be glad to take a look at it.

Rob
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Rob: I can't get the hang of posting jpgs on the board but I'd be happy to send you an image of the signature if you can send me an e-mail I can attach it to. Comparing it to the one Harvey posted, I'm sure it's the real deal, but he did sign it "R.V. Gaddis" which seems a bit formal.
Regards,
Richard

()
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

here is how Richard's book is signed.Image
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

Richard,

I'm confident that's a valid signature. I've compared it to his signature on a letter I have and it matches up pretty well.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

A note from Dan Basore

Post by Harvey »

I recieved this e-mail from Dan and he wanted me to post it for him.

We were doing a promotion at the Indianapolis Eastside Rotary Club. The Sports Show was on. I was in my new Ranger bass boat quite a revolution for that area in the early 1970s and was sponsored by Mann's and others.

Also got to spend time with Gadabout in his Florida home. His best advice, "When you make a mistake forget it and go on. If you spill a pitcher of milk just mop it up and pour out some more. I buried two wives who worried themselves to death."

Dan Basore

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... outnme.jpg

To Paul: Dan forgot his password, could you help him?
Harvey
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

Great post and photo Dan, and great advice from Gadabout himself. I didn't know he had two wives. Do you happen to know the name of his second wife?
Reelsptsmn
Big ORCA Fan

Gaddabout display at nfwfhf

Post by Reelsptsmn »

A while ago, on a visit to the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, in Hayward, Wisc, I saw a really nice display of Gaddabout's stuff. For those of you who have never been there, it's well worth a visit, even tho it is a bit off of the beaten path. Tight Lines, Bruce
Penobscot Bill
Frequent Board Poster

Gadabout Gaddis

Post by Penobscot Bill »

His show was one of the first fishing shows on tv that got my attention-always thought a person who got paid to go fishing was a lucky man. I do have some Rapala type lures from the 1950s with his name ( and other noted fisherman ) on the bellies-don't know what company made those lures, but someone wanted to give him recognition
waukazoo
Big ORCA Fan

Gadabout a SP salesman as well

Post by waukazoo »

I remember ole Gadabout quite well...used to watch his show every week. I now collect his 'stuff', as he had a Shakespeare connection--he sold for them. Plus, in some of the tapes I have (VHS) of his show, he's always using SP tackle.
I also have (sorry--not for sale) a rather large (2' x 4') wool banner that he used at his tackle show displays. Plus, a few of his lures--both metal and wood.
His book is well worth the time to read, as he truly led a 'gadabout' life, back when times 'seemed' to be much simpler. Randy
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Another Gadabout item.

Post by Harvey »

I, like Randy, have a few things in my collection too. Books, a couple lures, advertisements and this. It is either a Tie tack or a lapel stick pin.
Harvey
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

That's cool Harvey. I still don't have that one yet but I have an "Outdoors with Liberty Mutual" keychain. Around 1970, the Flying Fisherman series alternated weekly with a hunting show called "The Outdoorsman" with Joe Foss.

Rob