garcia (abu, everol) admiral 4/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
firefish
Big ORCA Fan

garcia (abu, everol) admiral 4/0

Post by firefish »

i recently acquired a garcia admiral 4/0 made in the fifties by everol. everol produced these reels for abu in sweden and garcia in the us. ive found a couple of websites with some info on them. [unknown link - ed.] has an entire section devoted to these reels. i was wondering if anybody had a bit more info. any idea of its value or how rare this reel is? any info would be great. thanks.
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Bad link
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Yeah, I know... I wrote that.

Not much to add really. Where did you get yours?

Got any pics?

Doc.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Okay, replying to PM just gives an error message...

Don't know how many were actually made... The same family still runs Everol, but it was a long time ago. They just don't remember. But no, not many. How many 4/0 do I know of? Three, because those are the ones I've stumbled across, and I live by the north pole. They don't pop up very often other than by coincidence. They still come into the service department at Everol HQ sometimes. Where did you get yours, in the USA?

Value, don't know really. Depends on the buyer. Might be interested myself, just because I dig both Abu and Everol.

Pics ? YES PLEASE... Industrial _ CreativityatHotmail . com or to one of the moderators of this board, who know how to resize them. Try to get a good one of the right and left sideplates, close up and dead-on..And for your info, there is a thread just down the page a bit called, "Help with ID and value..." Check that one for more info.

this one: http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=3308

Doc.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Sort of a bump to the top... No pics yet, but in the meantime I'd like to ask if anyone else has one of these.

I've been into it for quite some time, but really only hear of the odd reel being sold on ebay or something. I'd like to know how many Admirals there are out there. Lennart Borgström doesn't remember, neither does Everol. Tom Lenks is dead. Seems like if I don't dig into this, nobody will.

So, anybody have one?
firefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by firefish »

i dont know anyone else who owns one besides you. id really like to know how many are out there too. seems like not to many collectors are into these reels like yourself. any reason why? still trying to get some kind of value on it. terry.
Last edited by firefish on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
firefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by firefish »

dr rob, do you know of anyone else who collects these reels?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Anyone got a pic of this reel? Isn't it one of the "White Penns", as this one mall shark once showed me? basically looks like a direct take-off on penn 4/0. If so, that series seems to work well, but has never taken on collector value over here. Haven't opened one up, but the usual complaint would be underpowered drags.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Er, John? I really don't think we're on the same page at all. (is this a misposted reply to another thread?) There is no similarity cosmetically or mechanically to any Penn of any color, the drags are well known for their dimensions, and the reels are in fact quite highly appreciated. For pic see link posted by firefish above, or here

[removed dead links]
Last edited by Dr. Rob on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, sorry...yes, that's a beauty! The one I referred to was like this one
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed dead link
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Firefish, sorry for delay.

Listen, the reel you sent pics of is in absolutely pristine condition. Some scuff marks from handling / storage, but looks to have never been used.

It is a very pretty example, featuring the earliest version of the Sunshine logo. Absolutely beautiful.

I am still doing research and gathering info as well as I can on these reels, but I deductions indicate that these reels were quite few in number and that your reel was made in early 1963 up to 1964.

Judging by your email adress, Everol was relatively strong in your part of the world at the time, and perhaps Garcia found reason to try to establish themselves there.

They don't come up very often, as said. Some ABU enthusiasts (those not dedicated to Ambassadeur or Record) find them very attractive. The purists may take distance, as the reels are in fact not true ABUs.
I think you should be very selective in your thoughts of resale.

I myself have been on the lookout for some time, having taken a fancy to them, and also having promised the curator of the ABU museum as well as the General Manager of Abu-Garcia that I'd like to find one for them.

A nice find indeed. Congratulations.

Doc.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Waiting / hoping for a little Hawaiian sizing magic to put a pic right here...

[bad link removed]
(Firefish's reel, diameter ca 4")
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bad link
firefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by firefish »

Dr. Rob, thanks for getting my pic posted. i hope more people will take a look and be able to appreciate the admirals beauty. can you tell a little bit on how this reel disengages into free spool. thanks.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Just slide the lever back to sunrise. That's it; there is no spool clutch or instant release.

I intend to do one more round of fact-gathering in the next few days, collecting serial numbers and such; shake those trees just once more.

In the meantime I noticed that a Garcia Admiral 4/0 with a serial number exactly forty units after yours changed owners a few months ago.

Later.

Doc.
Last edited by Dr. Rob on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
firefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by firefish »

thanks dr. rob, keep me posted on any new information.
Last edited by firefish on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Admiral 4/0

Post by ABUBO »

Hi Doc,
Tried to PM to you but got an error msg so trying this instead...

In case you didn't see this earlier, look here for info on a Admiral 4/0 from Wisconsin (the last post on the page that emerges):

[removed bad link]

Best regards,
Bo
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bad link
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

I have owned 2 Abu Admiral reels and sold them both the last one about 6 years ago. The 4/0 mint, boxed unused example went to a collector for $1,200 if my memory is correct. The box was brown and unmarked.
All Abu Admiral reels are rare and I understand that an 8/0 or 8 1/2/0 the only known example was stolen from a museum in Sweden.
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ABUBO »

Hi Stefan,
Yes, the box(es) are brown.. and/or blurrish dark red.. I saw one for a 7½/0 ealier this year (and the reel itself of course :-) )
Yeah... those stolen ones in Sweden.. what a shame. I once saw them myself. Btw, in case you don't know they were actualy found ... BURRIED! All of them except for the Admiral. What a vandalismic act. The guilty should be hung from their private parts for collectors to enjoy! :shock: :evil:
You must be thinking of the 9/0 .. don't recall any 8/0. And what would be the purpose of making one when a 7½ was made... right?
Regards,
Bo
Stefan Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stefan Duma »

ABUBO wrote:Hi Stefan,
Yes, the box(es) are brown.. and/or blurrish dark red.. I saw one for a 7½/0 ealier this year (and the reel itself of course :-) )
Yeah... those stolen ones in Sweden.. what a shame. I once saw them myself. Btw, in case you don't know they were actualy found ... BURRIED! All of them except for the Admiral. What a vandalismic act. The guilty should be hung from their private parts for collectors to enjoy! :shock: :evil:
You must be thinking of the 9/0 .. don't recall any 8/0. And what would be the purpose of making one when a 7½ was made... right?
Regards,
Bo
I think it was a special size made for Borgstrom and was a one off. I remember that when I was sent a list of the stolen reels it was pointed out it was the only one of its size made.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Hey, nice timing you guys. I've had that reel on my mind recently, thinking I should rekindle interest in aquiring it.

I was down at Everol Headquarters a few weeks ago and looked around a bit for evidence on the Admirals. Nobody remembers for sure, but evidence I gathered earlier this year indicated a production run of fifty units in various sizes. And this seemed to jibe well with Old Man Sganzerla's memory (he was the one who made them).

Regarding the 7½ / 0 , yeah... that one is still missing. Have the serial number from it, but that doesn't help much; it's like having the keys to a stolen car. Don't know if it was actually Borgström's or not; he didn't remember. Regarding 7½ / 0 vs 9/0, they are the same reel, differing only in width. Once upon a time, the standard width was changed to make room for the 9/0 Wide model. So now nobody remembers if that 7½ / 0 was actually 9 /0 in width. Regardless, it was labeled 7½. There is no such thing as an 8 or 8½ / 0 though.

Boxes, yeah... should've looked for some at the factory. Have a pic of one here somewhere. Plain cardboard with a sticker and sunshine logo on it.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: garcia (abu, everol) admiral 4/0

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John Taylor here and I just stumbled onto this old Everol / Garcia Admiral post while looking for info on the old red reels. I have really started to have interest in the old Everol's an one by one have gathered up some neat reels that seem to be scarce. I will include pics of the four red reels I have first a red Everol 4/0 then a red Everol 7.5/0 then a 4/0 and 7.5/0 Garcia Admiral. I also have an extra 7.5/0 Everol that needs attention the screws that hold side plates on are badly buggered up and it's been rode hard and hung up wet. Please anyone that sees this post that knows about these reels step in !! Also if any one might have a 6/0 like these reels for sale I would love to try for the whole set !! Thanks for looking and I hope others will add there knowlage about these to this post.
John Taylor

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is a little Everol reel trivia that I discovered when I was researching the article "EVEROL: Last bastion of Italian fishing reel production", The Reel News, Nov 2017, Volume XXVII, No. 6. Look at the U.S. patent number printed on the reel faceplate:

The correct US Patent number is 3,166,269, not 3,166,299 as marked on the faceplates of Everol reels (maybe all of them??). I assume second from last digit was on a die inadvertently mounted upside down and never caught.

I have many, many great pics of reels in production inside the Everol reel factory courtesy of Renzo Di Paolo of ANTIPES.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi Paul
That is interesting about mistake in patent number and good eyes for picking it out ! I have another early Everol according to an email with Paolo it is 1 of 100 of the first run of Everol reels in 1958 or 59. It's a 7 1/2 /0 and a two speed. The handle has a little release button so you can remove handle from low speed hole then place it in high speed hole similar to the two speed Fin-Nor's only they have the nice little pinned flat bar that rotates back and forth to keep handle in place. It is a very well built heavy duty reel. I bought it off eBay for $100 from a guy in Venezuela and had it in my house in less than a week.

Paul I would like to see some of the pictures of Everol factory you have. John Taylor

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

I love those red Garcia reels!
-Chris R.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

John,

You can view & learn a lot by checking out the 3 links at the left on this ANTIPES page.

Use your translator to view it in English.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Tom how do you use a translator ? I have never done it . John Taylor