latest reel repair show-and-tell

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

latest reel repair show-and-tell

Post by john elder »

Got this Xmas project in the mail from our colleague from the West...very West :o Tried a technique I use in woodworking where you mix the material to be repaired with epoxy to help match the color and texture...had just used walnut stain previously, as I didn't have any old hard rubber to use...finally brought myself to give up on an old side plate. the method was also outlined in the earlier article in the ORCA newsletter, I gather. The repair is certainly detectable, but it made a pretty nice show piece out of a reel that was teetering above the parts box! So, don't give up on those basket cases!

Stephen Barnes
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stephen Barnes »

NICE LOOKING JOB JOHN.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Repair

Post by Brian F. »

Have to thank John for a great Christmas present! :D Been planning to do it for several years but theory is one thing and it takes someone with skill and determination to execute! John used a repair technique that Bob Miller wrote about in one of his Reel News columns about 5-6 years ago.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks, Brian...have no mind left...couldn't remember who had written that article and it was before I was a member, so didn't have that issue!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Bakelite/hardrubber repair

Post by Jim Madden »

Well, I for one would love to see this repair done in person at Fife or New York. I'm not sure about the status of seminars at the two shows, but I'd like to see the process right from the mixing of the apoxy and stain to the patching of the hurt. I especially like it that the scar shows like an old war wound. It'll never be misrepresented, and best of all, a great old reel is going to get a face-lift. There's nothing uglier than chipped or cracked Bakelite. Any volunteers? Great job, John!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Jim...well, I won't be close to New York soon, but I'm living proof that even a Ph.D. can do this :D Maybe Phil could re-run bob Miller's piece from a few years back? I'm sure Milt has also done this sort of thing and might want to consider a revisit for one of his repair columns? About the only tricks here are to 1) use tape as a "dam" to hold the epoxy until dry enough to hold position; 2) can use toothpicks or wooden sticks to keep screw holes open (can either drill out later or pull out when epoxy is nearly hard); 3) I filled the channel where the spool rides with rubber tubing...makes a tight fit and comes right out when the epoxy has set; 4) use sideplate material that is as close as possible to the vintage and type of the reel you're fixing...generate it using a fine rat tail file...don't use an abrasive, as the grit will get in your "dust". I then use fine files, steel wool, abrasive pad, and sometimes sandpaper to get the material blended. A soak with Fluid Film, followed by buffing with simichrome pretty well does it. Good therapy while watching mindless TV shows!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Number on Plate

Post by Brian F. »

Hey George G.,
Did you notice there's a number scratched on the inside of the reel head plate? I believe it looks like a "28" from John's photo. Just thought you'd like to add that to your database of info on these early reels.
Brian
GeigerNY
Frequent Board Poster

"28"

Post by GeigerNY »

Brian
The mystery 28 that number keeps popping up , have run across it in three other reels. From stamped face Supremes to high end saltwater reels . No logic that I can see so far,other then high end reels for their day. Was looking good for very early reels until the Supreme showed up with that number.
Could be a code for hidden pirates treasure,so if you see me walking those beaches of yours with a shovel ,you could bet I figured it out.
George