Is this a Chapman and Son reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelland
Frequent Board Poster

Is this a Chapman and Son reel?

Post by reelland »

Hey guys, Just picked this little single action fly reel and am tring to figure out what it is. I intially thought it might be a Chubb due to the thick single cast foot. However, I spotted a picture on page 82 of Steve Vernon's book "Antique Fishing Reel" that shows a Chapman and Son of Theresa NY reel. The reel in Steve's book incorporates a Terry foot, but looks very similar otherwise. Particularly interesting to me is the cylinder nuts on the three pillars threads that pass through the back plate. Any ideas, conformations and/or suggestions for sources for information on Chapmans. I can find no other reference in my books. Thanks, Bill.
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... apman1.jpg[/img]
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bill,
It seems pretty doubtful that Chapman & Son ever built their own reels, so there's probably no compelling reason to attribute any unmarked reel to them. As far as I can remember, every reel I've ever seen with the Chapman mark has been a Terry. But that's only one person's experience.

At least some Terry reels used those cylinder nuts to hold the back plates on, but when you're making a fly reel this small, you don't have much choice. You either rivet the plate on, or you use the nuts on the back to avoid having the pillars extend out the front and get in the way of the crank.

None of this blather helps you ID your reel, and sorry, but I can't help in that regard. Maybe you could have it stamped "G. Snyder Prototype" and let it go at that. :lol:
reelland
Frequent Board Poster

Terry maybe

Post by reelland »

Steve,

Thanks for reply and information. I will assume it is possibly a Terry and keep looking for confirmation or evidence to the contrary. Thanks, Bill. :)