Shakespeare Silver Swan Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dave Randall
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare Silver Swan Reel

Post by Dave Randall »

Hopefully, there is a picture of a Shakespeare Silver Swan Model HH. Question is whether this was a plated reel that has lost its plating or was it ever plated? Thanks for your assistance. Dave Randall

ps This reel and a very large Shakespeare reel collection will be for sale at the ORCA National in Fife, Washington in June. See you there! DaveImage
reels4me

Silver Swan

Post by reels4me »

I considered one about 10 yrs. ago it also had the 'pewter look'.Believe
they came that way. Check Harvey the Club's Shakespeare Xpert.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

It is correct that way. Here is a box for one.Image
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Silver Swan

Post by Jim Madden »

That's the same reel as the 1933 South Bend #350 first and second models. The 33 catalog calls it an "aluminum alloy in an attractive gray finish." The shape of the reel and the gray color was certainly an attempt to mimic the popular Supreme but under-sell it by a bunch.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Jim,
he 1934 Shakespeare catalogue says it is made from a non-ferrous material called "Russellory". I assume that it was named after Guy Russell, the chief design engineer at the time.
Harvey
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Alloy

Post by Jim Madden »

Cool factoid, Harv. South Bend had to go to the more common description to avoid the Shakespeare association a la the 4-way pawl, and it was probably contractual. There must be agreements out there on all these features. I still think the alloy experiment, which didn't last long at all, was a response to the (then) ten year old Pflueger "Nicckalum."
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

#350 South Bend

Post by Jim Madden »

Here's the 1933 #350 South Bend first model "Swan."
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... age/sbswan