Anyone have any documentation/history on this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Anyone have any documentation/history on this reel?

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I was fortunate to have added this little sidemount to my collection. After looking around all the books and catalogs I have, I can't find anything other than a few old Lang's catalog descriptions. It's thought that these were made around 1870 in the Cherry Valley region of upstate NY. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with any info on this little guy! He's a whopping 2 1/8 inches!

Thanks,
Jim
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

I saw one similar to this one at a show two years ago. I think it was being referred to as a "Foster" reel, if I remember correctly. I believe the variety I saw was permanently engineered into the rod handle. I wish I would have paid closer attention. Jim, you may want to talk to Tom Penniston, . He was the one that sold this reel.

What a dandy! :D

Good luck,
- Paul
reelsmith.

Nope.

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice find Jim!

I have seen several of those over the years and had two just last year. I asked Jim Brown what he knew about them and he offered up the same info you already have. I'd ask Steve Vernon... if he doesn't know either, then it is up to you to find out!

Good luck!

Dean.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Thanks guys!

Guess I'll have to start the hunt! If I find anything, I'll let you know. Dean, I am curious, were the 2 reels you had the same as this, or were they a different size/configuration? I'd hate to find that these are also a focus of some counterfeiter in India! :roll:
I know there was a larger size reel, and a few that had fixed handles (nothing rotated on the handle shaft).
Thanks!
Jim
reelsmith.

Post by reelsmith. »

Both of mine had fixed handles and were the same size as yours. One was all brass, the other plated. One had perforations on the side, the other did not.

I've also seen these with diamond shaped, rather than round holes.

If you found yours locally I'd imagine it is as right as rain.

Dean.

Post by Guest »

Jim, I have one of these also and have seen about three or four others. I was told they were manufactured in upstate New York but have never heard of a makers name. If you learn anything outside the reeltalk post I would appreciate your sharing it. I will do likewise. Thanks, Tyler Thompson
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

Here are some similar reels that were written about in "Fishing Collectibles Magazine", 1991, Vol 2, Number 3. The article was written by Steve Vernon. It does not go into detail on these reels, other than what is in the captions.

You can see that there are definite similarities between the style of the Fowler reel pictured and your reel. Same goes for the Clinton. In my opinion, I like yours better than any of these, appearance-wise. :D

Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Thanks Paul,
But, I must admit, I'd trade my little friend for any one of the three you listed there! I would, however, like to find the larger version of this reel if anyone is willing to part with one. I'm afraid to ask for another Clinton, 'cause last time, all I got was a picture of Hillary! :shock: