Shakespeare Tackle is really good for Rabbits

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Shakespeare Tackle is really good for Rabbits

Post by Reel Geezer »

Now this shouldn’t surprise me, since Harvey is our foremost Shakespeare collector and the invisible rabbit was named Harvey, but….

Yesterday I was trying out my 2007 fishing contest rod and reel. It consists of a Shakespeare bamboo casting rod purchased from Henry Caldwell at our Convention, and a Shakespeare #1973 Sportcast, both of which are pre-1940.or 1950, or whatever it was the Board voted was suitable tackle.

I put a 3/8 oz. practice plug on the setup and stepped out on the back lawn to make a few casts. We have an abundance of cottontail rabbits this year and I noted two of them on the lawn munching grass. I even pointed one out to Bert, but he just yawned and lay down on the deck to watch.

I took a few casts and the outfit was really casting nicely. I then decided to take a cast at the closest cottontail. My first cast fell a few feet short and the rabbit only looked up and then continued mowing my lawn. My next cast went beyond the rabbit and it looked to me like the line might be lying right on the bunny. I started to reel and whoops! Has anyone else ever had a cottontail on a light baitcasting rod? That rabbit jumped three times and turned summersaults in midair. It was like hooking into a furry smallmouth bass, only he pulled harder than a four pounder.

I took a glance over at Bert and he was on full alert by the second jump and vaulted off the deck the third time that cottontail broke water, or grass. The rabbit headed for the safety of a lilac bush with my casting plug still somehow tangled around a leg. As the bunny hopped around the corner I tried to let him go and gave slack line. Since the line was dry my thumb was burning as the rabbit turned on the jets. As he reached the end of the line I heard a pop and my line went slack. Bert the rabbit retriever was in hot pursuit as they rounded the corner of the garage and vanished.

I retrieved all my line to learn that the leader had broken, and as Bert came panting back to the deck he was rabbitless. I’ve yet to find the practice plug. Thank goodness that was one that got away.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Phil:

After reading your adventure of catching a rabbit on light tackle, I am convinced more than ever that after giving up the REEL NEWS editor's job, that you have too much time on your hands. I am going to start thinking about projects for you to do to keep you out of the back yard and let Bert do the rabbit chasing.

Roger
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Rabbit hatch/ROGER note

Post by Jack Bright »

Roger--Between the lines(?) didn`t you notice he did NOT catch it !
it takes a while to learn how to turn a good `un when they head for the brush pile, Phil just needs a little more time, I think.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Rabbit BS

Post by RAM »

OK Geezer-Here it comes: Practice weight-Hare today, gone tomorrow! Bad Bob
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Snagging hares, Eh? We want to see the movie!
Here are a couple of my exploits to add to you adventure. I have a young cat that gets all in a thither when ever a bird comes around. To keep her busy, I feed Blue Jays peanuts out on the patio. Some time ago, I was re-spooling a spinning reel and she wanted to attach the spool while I was trying to wind line off it. I go get a hand full of peanuts and throw them up on the roof. Before long, a dozen Jays appear and her attention turns to them thus leaving me alone. When all the peanuts were gone, I find them hanging around squawking for more. Humm, Should I try out my new line? I tie a peanut to the line and cast it down the side walk. In swoops a Jay and off he goes with peanut in beak. I let him get half way crossed the street then close the bail. Ever see a Blue Jay do summersaults in mid air? When it would fall to the ground, another Jay would swoop down and off he would go. It took a dozen times till they found out what the trick was. I have tried to get them to take it again but they are too smart for that. Now they will fly down to it and see the line then just stand there and squawk at me.
Another time, a friend, Mark, and I were camped on a point where Lostman’s river enters the gulf over in Everglades National Park. In the evenings we would bait up a heavy rod with a catfish or a mullet and try to catch sharks from the beach. One evening after a couple hours of fishing and setting by the camp fire, we decided to call it a day. My friend walked down to the beach to reel his line in but ol’ lazy me decided just to set in the chair, some 25 yards from the beach, and retrieve mine. Down by the water’s edge was a clump of mangroves and my line was gonna pass within six feet of them upon retrieval. As I was winding my line in with a catfish still firmly hooked, when it came out of the water, a raccoon darts out of the mangroves and grabs it. Off he goes up the beach, fish in his mouth and me about ready to roll from laughing. What do you do? I was afraid to stop the reel in fear I would hook him and I didn’t want him to run into the mangroves. Finally after he had ran some fifty yards I had no choice other than try to either stop him or hope it could jerk it out of him mouth. I set the hook! The hook snagged him in the right front leg. Now I got a fifteen pound coon, with an attitude, on the end of a Penn 4/0 with 30lb line trying to get away. My friend had ran up the beach to head him off and to see if he could keep him out of the trees. What does the coon do? He starts running back at me to get away from Mark. Now I am winding line as fast as I can and there is no way I can keep up. About half way back to me, the line raps around o tree stub and becomes taunt. The coon does a flip and hits the ground. The sudden stop causes the hook to jerk out and off into the mangroves he goes. Mark and I must have set around the fire for an hour laughing and declaring that was the funniest thing we had ever seen. We were more careful the next night when we went shark fishing.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Coon story

Post by RAM »

OK-Here goes: There was a racoon name Marv
Who was hooked by an angler named Harv.
The coon said (with chagrin)
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Coon story

Post by RAM »

OK-Here goes: There was a racoon name Marv
Who was hooked by an angler named Harv.
The coon said (with chagrin)
"I may have a sore shin,
But my maneuvers displayed awsome verve!"
Bad Bob

Now it's your turn Steve!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

hey, the rabbit got away, its all moot
Reelman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman »

Those stories bring back memories. Back before the accident. I had just bought a new rod and reel. I loaded it with line and went outside in the yard to cast it and see how it felt. I tried a couple cast. And then the chickens we were raising. Saw the bank sinker I was using. Come down the yard and passed them in the grass. That was all it took. They all took off after it. One caught up to it and grabbed it and took off. And I had my hands full. If you never tried a six pound chicken go running up the yard and flapping it wings and all the flock after on light tackle you are missing some of the best fishing that fishing has to offer. Just as one would stop and dropped it on the ground to look at it better before eating it. Another picked it up and off it went with the rest of the flock close behind trying to grab it out of it mouth. It must of been ten minutes or more before I bought the sinker in. Those chickens can really make the drag sing. After that I would take a al's gold fish or some other piece of shiny metal and take the hooks off. And spend a hour or two. Fighting chickens on top grass bait. The whole flock would chase it down the yard trying to grab it and run. I had more fun fishing for chickens then I did after fish.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Great stories...

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I'm not sure how just yet, but I see a new casting event at the ORCA 2007 National... :shock:
Stu Lawson
Frequent Board Poster

BUYING MOVIE RIGHTS

Post by Stu Lawson »

What do you guys want for the movie rights to the stories? Maybe trade for a picture of somebody who once knew Zane Grey? 8)

Stu Lawson
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Geez, I can't leeve you all alone! Just step out to do some fishing and you guys are all over the place. No catch to speak of but I did see a mongoose or two. There are some very famous stories about them running off with a rod and reel left to the side that still had some bait on it.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Sorry I'm late, Bob

Post by Steve »

You folks sure got my temperature risin'!
'Cause yer sport don't sound too appetizin'.
What's the deal with you guys?
Pick on prey your own size!
Fish for mules, grizzly bears, even bison.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Catch of the Day at your favorite cafe

Post by RAM »

That was cool Steve-Just occured to me what the coon was thinking that night-

An irrate and sore legged coon
Plotted revenge by the light of the moon.
"I won't need my mask
to perform this little task!
It'll be a frontal assault at high noon!"
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

You can't find this hot tip in a book:
A racoon I once fished for forsook
Everything that I cast,
From the first cast to last,
Till I baited a Limerick hook.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Limerick Inanity

Post by RAM »

Dang Steve! That was good! I quit (for now) Bad Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

you need a disc drag for bison.

for grizzly bears you only need good shoes.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

My Turn

Post by Teal »

You need a disc drag to fish bison
Said a piscatorial Freeman Dyson
They put on quite a show
Those water buffalo
Especially when the water is rising

--Dr. Todd
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Some Catches of mine that are not noteworthy.

Post by drexelantiques »

I've hooked two gators, one was a little fellow, and was brought in, unhooked, and released.

One was a 9 footer which I brought as close to the boat as I dared, and I cut the line.

I was casting a Little George for White Bass, had a seagull swoop down and take it in mid flight, buried the hook. They put up a good fight on 9 lb line. I ended up having to cut the hook to remove it when I had him landed.

A friend planted a devil's horse in my neck. I think it was the most challenging fight of his life as he almost did not make it back from the fishing trip.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

A pity that you had to lose
A gator so close to your clews.
The skin would suffice,
If you take Ron's advice,
For multiple bear-fishing shoes.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Last shot

Post by Teal »

A comeley lass named Myrtle
Gator fished in a girdle
She casted all week
With her Milam & Meek
But all she caught was a turtle

--Dr. Todd
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

You guys will never get rich as a poet.
By reading your prose, I just know it.
With your energy you should lurch
Back onto real reel research.
Your reputation's at stake, so don't blow it.

The beginning of this thread had the feathers
of casting and fishing for creatures.
It is a matter of timing
and by reading their rhyming
Dr. Todd and Prof. Steve aren’t good teachers!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I haven't caught any coons, gators or possums but once up in Wisconsin while fishing at night with an untra light and 1/16 oz. jig I caught a BAT! It hit the jig in midair and hooked itself. I had a nasty little fight on my hands and after I boated it (yep, I reeled it right up to the rodtip) I held it down with a rag while and used pliers to get the hook out. Sure don't want rabies.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Harvey

Post by Teal »

A Devil's Horse in the neck
Would certainly hurt like heck
But you cannot compare
To the pain of a pair
Of trebles below the poop deck

And Harvey says are poetry ain't edumacational!

--Dr. Todd
Last edited by Teal on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks to you, Harvey, now we all knows
To use thirty-pound test when we goes
After coons. But we'd be nuts
To bait up with peanuts.
Your research, I fear, merely blows.

On the other hand, Don tells us that
The lures recommended ain't fat,
When you're out on the stream
And stop fishing for bream