article on reel drag systems

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Penobscot Bill
Frequent Board Poster

article on reel drag systems

Post by Penobscot Bill »

just found an interesting two page article on unlocking the mysteries of reel drag systems-December/January 2003 issue of Outdoor Life-interesting comparison between the traditional spinning reel drag versus the ideal spinning reel and good suggestions for improving drag performance-a system engineer built a unique machine for testing drags and I wish I had that in my basement! haven't looked, but you probably could find this article on Outdoor Life's website-only 68 more days to open water fishing season!

Post by Guest »

Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

No kidding, that is a pretty sweet apparatus. Was just discussing building one of those with one of the offshore reel tuners in California. The amount of work that goes into testing and documenting the operational parameters of various drag materials is quite extensive, and generates reams of info to be documented for comparison.

Fin-Nor used to have a computerized hi-tech drag testing unit that tabulated all of the variables such as RPM, temp, torque and cf, and then gave a printout of the results on an X & Y graph. Nice! I think they sold it Penn, or vice versa.

The guy quoted with the stiction comment... I wonder if that was J dl R,atS?