"Invalid Session" ....

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

"Invalid Session" ....

Post by reelsmith. »

Does anyone else here sometimes get an "Invalid Session" screen when they hit "preview" or "submit." I get it about 90% of the time... it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

Dean.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Not us

Post by Reel Geezer »

RRL and I have never had an "invalid Session" message yet
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Maybe if you've forgotten to log on? When I forget and then try to post, nothing happens, but I don't get that message.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Thanks ...

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks for the input.

It only happens at home, at the office I am okay. So, maybe it is YET ANOTHER AOL thing.

I'm logged in when it happens, so I don't know what the issue is. I guess I'll just have to do all my posting from work., which is okay by me... better than working. Right!?

Dean.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

invalid sessions

Post by Jim Madden »

:oops: If this goes through, it will be the first time I've been able to post!
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

Ok, let's start with two questions for those of you that are experiencing these problems...

1. Which operating system are you using on your PC? (Windows XP, Windows 2000, etc...)

2. Which browser are you using and what version? (MS Internet Explorer 6.0, Netscape 7.1, etc...)

Thanks,
- Paul
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Thanks Paul ...

Post by reelsmith. »

I Have Windows XP and posted this with Internet Explorer 6.0, although, I normally use AOL 8.0 as my home page and suspect that may be my problem... assuming this works!

Dean.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

I haven't had any trouble.

Post by Harvey »

I run Windows "ME", IE 6.0 and use ATT as my ISP. I have never seen that screen. It always loads for me.
Harvey
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

I should have posted this a long time ago. AOL users have issues with posting sometimes. There are other service providers that have problems with this board too. I can remove security from the board and this would allow everyone to post without problems. However, this would leave us open to outside attacks. So, I would rather have a few folks be unable to post than lose the board due to some hacker. (not trying to seem unsensitive to those of you that are stuck)

The other way around this problem is for the message board software to be upgraded. This has to be done by the web hosting service we use. I already have a request to upgrade from PHPBB 2.0.4 to PHPBB 2.0.6. This version supposedly contains a fix for a lot of these "invalid sessions". So, basically, I have my hands tied until we get upgraded. I do not have an ETA on when this might be done...or if they even plan to upgrade at all. I have not heard back yet, but will post it when I hear something.

If you are interested in the technical info about this problem, you can get down to the nitty-gritty with it here: http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?54

I guess the best thing I can say to those of you that have this problem is just keep checking back. I know, I know...
:bash:
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

If you are using Windows 2000, XP, NT, ME, 95, etc...you might want to try this:

If you are using AOL and are experiencing these "invalid session" problems, please minimize the AOL browser and use the Internet Explorer browser (usually under Start>Programs>Internet Explorer in Windows).

This is a possible temporary work around that I have heard works. Hope this helps some...

You can find this info referenced here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=828597
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

note that if you change browsers, the board no longer recognizes you...i.e., I originally signed on and said "remember me" while using Explorer...I've been switching over to Safari and found that it didn't know me from Adam when I came on the board. So, I re-logged in and told it to remember me...now, I'm good to go with either server.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

And a quick PS...never waste your time using aol as a browser! If you're dial-up, just use aol to get on, then click on a real server like Safari or Explorer or ? You're good to go! You can down-load them for free off the net.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

I guess I shouldn't be too hasty!

Post by Reel Geezer »

I stated above that I had never gotten an invalid session message. I have received one every time I tried to start a new subject today. I don't have AOL, I am using IE6+, I am logged on, etc...
Please advise. I have heard from several members that they don't use this board because they get invalid session messages every time they try to post. I can now understand. It is quite frustrating.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I keep getting emails from reel collectors that, like me, use AOL... and they are wondering how I post here, because they can't. Well, here's how:

1. Sign on to AOL.

2. Go to "orcaonline".

3. Copy the ORCA address from the browser window.

4. Minimize AOL and open Internet Explorer. You may have never done this before, but trust me, you can... it is in your computer somewhere, you just have to find it. Since you are already signed on with AOL you are already on the net (cool dude, surfin' safari)... all you have to do now is open IE (Internet Explorer, dude).

5. Once IE opens, paste the ORCA address into the browser and hit "Go."

6. Cross your fingers and hold your breath. Afterall, you are relying on AOL to take you there! Good luck!

7. Bingo! You are in... and now you can post.

8. Ditch AOL, it sucks and so does their stock.

9. Send a nice fly reel to me for having made your life just a bit less miserable and for having entertained you for these last thirty seconds.

Dean.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

sessions

Post by Jim Madden »

:x Dean, if this goes through, I owe you a beer! I was getting I.S. 90% of the time. Here goes...
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Jim.

Make mine a Bass, the kind that comes in a bottle... not the one with a Jitterbug hanging out of its mouth.

Dean.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Invalid Session

Post by Reel Geezer »

OK, I figured out how I got an invalid session message. I had run a spy ware program that eliminates spyware on your computer. This program removed the cookie that identified me to the Board. Why this Board said that I was logged in I'm not sure, but that apparently was my problem.
Reelsptsmn
Big ORCA Fan

invalid session

Post by Reelsptsmn »

Hi, This is my final try at posting here, for a while. I too have never been able to post, due to the "invalid session" notice. This time I am using the Internet Explorer Browser. So, if this works, Happy Thanksgiving to ALL, and if it doesnt work, to HELL with it. Tight lines, Bruce
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Trying Dean's method!!

Post by John Savu »

8) We shall see!

Re: Not us

Post by Guest »

*No ads please - edited by moderator*
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks, brian...
Last edited by john elder on Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Re: "Invalid Session" - what abt a "Invalid A

Post by ABUBO »

Hi all,
I use XP-Home and IE 6.0 SP2 and I have none of the discussed probs abv. But I can see that reelsmith have another problem - he has NO AVATAR below his login name when posting - just as I don't. We both got this "red X in a tiny square" thingy instead! I've done my avatar within the limits - it's less than 10KB and less than 100 x 100 pixels ... how come it doesn't show then? Is it because I'm not a member of ORCA (yet)?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Bo,

The ability to add an Avatar image to your profile does not matter if you are an ORCA member or not, only registered on the board (if you are not an ORCA member yet, we're always ready to welcome another one!).

You did not mention if your Avatar resides at an outside URL or if you uploaded it to the message board. I know a couple of others that had to get help to get it loaded up properly but not sure what the specific problem was. If you have not already done so, you might try the different options available for adding an Avatar.
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ABUBO »

Hi Brian,
Thank you for answering.
I'm using the option to upload from my own computer. Tried it 3 times now, but it doesn't work ... unless it's there now?
If it's still not there, I'll try saving it to a site of mine and do one of the other two options.

Thanks,
Bo

Post by Guest »

honestly, I think it's something with the server, maybe one of the php board viruses.

I got it 3 times last night from a Mac/Safari/Roadrunner