Most sought after reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Most sought after reel?

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ABUBO »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for elaborating on this. It's always nice to learn more. Very cool pictures of a great fisherman with truly great reels and lot's of accessories. Could it be a promotion picture for Bullen reels perhaps?

Right - proto's or not doesn't really matter. What matters is the evidence of the ongoing improvements from one reel to the next. And, looking at them from this POV, they are in fact all some kind of prototype - which then makes them all the more collectible, and often even harder to 'pin-point' in terms of year of construction, unless documented by pictures. And, even so, you're in for a tough one there, if logo's aren't visible.

FYI, I am not much into Big Game reels at all, but I do however, fancy the red, Everol made ABU Admirals, which are the closest ABU ever got into 'making' reels of this size and shape. As the Tuna unfortunately disappeared from the Scandinavian area a few years after these Admirals were ordered from Everol (most likely along with the Garcia marked Admirals, but no one seems to know/remember if so or not), this probably is the sole reason as to why they are so scarce today ... and back then too I imagine. They were never really properly announced anywhere (for us to find - so far), so not that many were sold. Some say around 50 pcs. made in total for the 3 sizes combined - 4/0, 6/0 and 7½/0. Compared to Zane's 16/0 reels, mere "Roach-reels", but anyways ... :)

Deal! If I ever stumble accross a 16/0 Atalanta, I'll definately let you know.

@ Steve: Nice home made (it seems) reel. No more info available ... maker?
Collecting pre 1979 (b4 the Garcia era) Swedish ABU & RECORD Spinning & Fly reels, ZEBCO Cardinals, RED Ambassadeurs, PR related items, posters, photos, jewelry, lures, assessories and what have you! Well, do you? :-)
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

more info available ... maker?
It's the 1860 Palmer LW in the Smithsonian, allegedly the 1st mechanical LW on a fishing reel. Is there another out there? Who knows?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Palmer reel for historical significance and Heddon 4-18 for cool factor.
Last edited by RonG on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

We seem to be drifting from the decade-old LW bent on this thread, but the examples posted are all drool-bait.
btw, I have that B now.

and a nice Supreme, as well
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Nice B reel, certainly meets the LW criteria. I may look for a Palmer Level Wind to put onto a Snyder, then I would have something to report.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

ShotgunRiderRob wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 am As a new collector,i've been curious to what is the most sought after "level wind reel" ?
The most sought-after LW by me would be the iconic “windshield wiper” Heddon 4-18.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

My vote would be the Shakespeare Style A Level Wind Reel. The catalog stated that they were handmade by Mr. Shakespeare himself. Solid nickel silver, engraved, and beautiful. I’ve only seen about five in my lifetime.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

What about reels that have never been seen, like this 1891 Canadian patent drawing? This is a level-wind what I would like to find if it exists.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

What about reels that have never been seen...? This is a level-wind what I would like to find if it exists.
Well, if we're going that route:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

A Marhoff Reel Company reel with its original level-wind intact would be another scarce one to find. I only know of two in existence.