Anyone recognize the maker of this reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Anyone recognize the maker of this reel?

Post by Teal »

I picked up a reel marked "Evans 600" which I think is a Glen L. Evans trade reel. I am having trouble attributing a manufacturer; it has the same screw alignment and interchangeable screws with Shakespeare trade reels from the 1950s, but the handle, end caps, and foot are wrong. It has elements of Bronson (similar end caps to the Wolverine) but I am not knowledgable enough to attribute it to that firm either. Great Lakes? Any one seen a slotted screw foot like this before?

http://www.pixelarchitecture.com/todd/evans.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Dr. Todd
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Bronson

Post by Jim Madden »

Todd, I believe it's Bronson. The rim detail, handle, and handle knobs match some of their reels. White's 2nd Edition, page 206, has it listed as circa 1952, but I don't know how he came up with the date. It's not listed with a maker. I know it's not Shakespeare. Jim
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Todd,
I have a parts reel like yours, but it is inscribed Walter H Schatz inside the same swirled imprint. My reel has the exact same screwed pillar foot screws. I guess that desighn was factory built. These reels have 4 grooves in the headplate rim which is rare. The width of the Headplate is .485" which is significantly wider than other baitcaster of this type in my pile.

Even the Bronson 2900 Retreiver which is a large 2-3/4 dia reel is only 0.44" wide. Most Bronson reels range from 0.370-0.40" wide. The diameter of the foot pillar posts are 0.220". The same as most Bronsons and Ocean City reels of this type.

Do not have a Bronson with a wide 4 groove head plate, but a lot of 3 groove reels.

Now, do we need to do is find out who made Walter H Schatz reels too? I don't know if it was Bronson either.

Hope this helps.

Dale.

Note: My reel has Model G-118 inscribed on the tailplate.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

I don't think this reel has a Bronson feel at all. Don't know who made it but I don't think it was Bronson.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The mystery deepens! There is a Schatz reel on the bay right now I'll bid on to compare to this. Jim is right in that it does resemble Bronson more, but Dave our resident Bronson man notes the foot is all wrong. The Wolverine I have has the standard Bronson foot that differs significantly from this one...

Another mystery. Any other opinions out there?

Thanks Dale, Jim, and Dave for opinions!

--Dr. Todd
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Schatz

Post by Jim Madden »

Todd, I forgot I had a Schatz in the box. It has a weird ABL bail that contacts the spool externally. You can see that it is the image of your reel as Dale mentioned. The box and paperwork say it was made ("sole manufactureres") by Oakwood Precision Grinding Company, 5139 Military Avenue, Detroit 10, Michigan. Walter H. Schatz Industries Inc. was the distributor located at 28 E Jackson Blvd., Chicago 4, Illinois. Sorry about the picture quality. Jim
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Jim, Does your reel have Model G-118? My 2 parts reels are both marked on tailplate. However, neither has an ABL bail, and I don't see anyplace for a bail to connect. Between the 2 reels, I can make one complete except I don't have a handle with 2 nobs.

Dale.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Schatz

Post by Jim Madden »

Dale, I've added a close-up of how the bail is attached. The holes are actually above the rear pillar and the long, one-piece bail is placed down around the level wind. My reel is marked G-118, but I have seen many Schatz reels that were not ABL reels. The box may be the only markings for the ABL version. If your reel does not have the two holes, it's not the ABL version. Jim
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Over the years, I've seen dozens of Schatz reels at shows, collections, eBay. They're easy reels to overlook, except that the heavy chrome plating often is gleaming even in dimly lit rooms. But I doubt I've seen more than 3 or 4 with the wire bail, including Jim's.
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Jim, Thanks for close up. What a complicated ABL spring. Have you spooled any line, and cast to see if it really prevents backlash? Neither of the 2 parts reels that I have were prepped for the ABL as there are no holes anywhere for such.

How do you disassemble the reel with that ABL system? Looks very difficult to me. After having such great SB ABL experiece, it is probably just your piece of cake.

Great reel! Thanks again.

Dale.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

ABL

Post by Jim Madden »

Dale the bail ABL system is easy. I have pictured here a beater headplate to show that it's made up of only a spring-loaded arm inside the plate. When you put the plate back on, it contacts the bail finger which protudes through the inner plate. The finger is bent slightly in such a way that the bail is forced downward against the level wind screw cover. The line is threaded through the bail, and when the cast is made, the bail is lifted by the line which also lifts a break appendage from the spool. When the line goes slack, the bail falls immediately, and it's true that you don't even need to thumb it. It works!
Jim
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Jim thanks for sharing info. I disassembled my Schatz. There is no spring or lever to operate an ABL so guess my reel was mfg w/o such.

Thanks again.

Dale
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The ABL version seems to be much rarer than the regular reels, at least from my watching them on eBay the past couple of years.

Wasn't there a German distributor by the name of Walter Schutz?

From conversations with several people, these appear for all intents and purposes to be ABU Record reels.

--Dr. Todd
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Just a follow up to an old thread...

I think we can conclusively rule out that these reels were manufactured by Oakwood Precision...however, they may have been responsible for the anti-backlash mechanism, which explains Jim's box info.

There is also another of these Swedish ABU trade reels--this time marked Line Master and Dearborn Tackle Company, Mich.

broken ... 0271713345

Anyone seen any other reels liked this?

-- Dr. Todd
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Anyone recognize the maker of this reel?

Post by JoeW »

Hey- I now have one of those Schatz reels- G-118- the one with the double ABL bar! Caught my eye at an antique store yesterday and the price was right. Seller must have seen the missing knob and figured bottom dollar for it.

I really like that ABL bar! Looks like it was contrived by an Orthodontist! And there’s two square “brake shoes” complete with felt “Brake pads” on the ends that contact to edge of the spool to slow/stop its turning. Like they took South Bend’s idea to the ultimate!

And I noticed, what I assume is a drag adjustment knob partially obscures the signature on the face. The “Walter” is covered. It’s a very weak stamp but the “Walter” is totally obscured. Like the reel parts were made and the drag knob installed as an afterthought?

Anyhow-- some opinions, please. How much is that reel worth- as is and with a complete handle? Is it worth buying a beater to get a replacement handle? Does anyone have a beater? Can any of you reelsmiths take a knob off of a handle with just one, and instal it on another handle with just one? It’s in very good condition, mechanically and physically- it just looks sad with the missing knob. Thanks for the help all! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Contact John Elder about the handle, I'm sure he can fix it.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Re:

Post by leland99 »

Teal wrote:Just a follow up to an old thread...

I think we can conclusively rule out that these reels were manufactured by Oakwood Precision...however, they may have been responsible for the anti-backlash mechanism, which explains Jim's box info.

There is also another of these Swedish ABU trade reels--this time marked Line Master and Dearborn Tackle Company, Mich.

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif ... 0271713345

Anyone seen any other reels liked this?

-- Dr. Todd
I just was reviewing this thread when doing a search on Schatz reels with the ABL device. My search also found that our own ORCA website alphabetical listing of reel makers includes Oakwood Precision Grinding as the maker of the Walter H Schatz reels. Does anyone/Todd recall the conclusive evidence in case we need to update info on Oakwood? thanks, Bryce Tawney
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I believe we came to the conclusion that these were manufactured in Sweden.

-- Dr. Todd