Who said they could help me find brass screws?? Was it Carl

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
michaela

Who said they could help me find brass screws?? Was it Carl

Post by michaela »

I have a pic now.

Post by Guest »

I don't recall either, michaela. But, I happen to be technically inclined, so if you could arrange the technical definition of the screws, maybe I could help.

Same goes for whoever needed the main gear for a Shakespeare reel.
Dr Rob

Post by Dr Rob »

Sorry; that would be me that wrote the above. (what, no edit button?)
michaelanderson

brass screw pic

Post by michaelanderson »

I need a mate for this screw ... dr rob can you or anyone else help? I'm not sure what technical specs you need (i guess length would be good huh?)
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

what does the srew fit?

Post by SWIM JIG »

You will need to know if its metric, uss , which is course american sae which is fine american , if its a v thread or a flat thread, (USS united states standard SAE socity of autamotive enginerrs, v threads were used until after world war 11 it changed about 1945 or 46 you will need lenth, and diamiiter, you may want to try a hardware like true hardware, or a modle shop that sells modle airplanes or slot racing cars. I hope that is of some help. also you can get the thread specs with a tread gauge and a pitch gauge. your Ohio Conection Milt and Ryan aka swim jig
Dr Rob

Post by Dr Rob »

Yeah, like Swimjig was onto...technical definition means things like he suggested, diameter x length x thread type.

You can tell a lot from a photo...To begin with, (thanks to the quarter) it looks to be about 1/8" in diameter x 3/8" length. Vee thread...strangely coarse and steep helix angle suggests UNC form...slot head.

Indeed, a really good idea is to just drop by a hardware store. Even if they don't have one, they can define it.

Heeeeeeeyyy...That isn't a quarter! Scratch all the above dimensions. What is that? You trying to play a joke on us Michael, by slipping a drachmer into the pic?
woodstock

screw

Post by woodstock »

The screw looks to be a penn side plate type, if you can let us know what it fits,sure would help.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

michaela - brass screws

Post by Don Champion »

Perhaps I can help you if there is some way I can mail you some samples (various thread sizes). Then if you told me the length you need and which sample fit your reel best, I could send you a source for the screws. Of course you would have to buy a box of 50 or 100 which would be about $5.00. I plan to send Col. Milton Lorens information for an article on screws for the Reel News in the near future.
ORCA member Donald Champion
michael anderson
Frequent Board Poster

Here are pics of the brass reel!

Post by michael anderson »

I need a screw for this reel, and several of you posted that if you could see the reel it would help. Can anybody identify it by any chance?