Question? What's your flavor

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Question? What's your flavor

Post by Willis Logan »

The board seems dry and dull---so the question is if you were thrown into a casting contest requiring braided nylon line. Where distance and accuracy were required. Would you use a Pflueger Nobby, a Shapespeare Sports Cast---round or tear dropped, a Langley LureCast, or a Coxe 94 or 95 C---or maybe an Ocean City Reel or some other reel?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I might have a bias opinion but I casted Bill Sonnet's Nobby once and it casted better than any old reel I've casted. In a close second place though spiral wind reels cast like a dream. They have a level wind but they cast like a non-levelwind. They are awsome to cast.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

I would be disqualified as incompetent so wouldn't care about braided line or what reel to use. Anyone listening to my advice on tournament casting would be a fool. Bad Bob

PS: Young Guy, on the other hand, knows how to cast, so listen to him.Good luck!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I would use a Pflueger Summit 1995 free spool reel with large arbor and tournament handle installed. I would make a single beautiful distance cast, line glistening in the early morning sun as it tore from the reel at great speed... then I would spend the next hour removing the backlash...this has been a consistent, tried and true method for me for over 50 years.

Deke
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

John I love your beautiful discription of the art of bait casting----But you did use one word incorrectly. The word backlash should not be associated with casting. The correct term is professional overlay.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Curiosity

Post by fishbugman »

Hey John...this is the neighborhood bully. I was just curious how you were able to put a Tournament handle on the 1995 Pflueger Summit Freespool reel. Those reels came with a stock adjustable drag handle that had the freespool built in. My guess is you did a lot more work on that one to customize a Tournament handle onto the reel that still retains the free spool function than you did on that Talbot click spring. I would love to see pictures...Jerkinyourchain...but people call me Jerk for short.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, yes...jerbugman wins the contest!...I just wanted to see how many casting mavens would catch that little nuance...well, maybe not so subtle :D
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Willis,
You ask a question that's very interesting. First you make us consider both accuracy and distance casting using only one reel, then you make us choose from a list of reels. I love to fish with the Nobby, and as a reel to use in accuracy casting it would be fine. In distance casting I'm not sure it would be my first choice, that is if you would let me use a free spool Coxe. I've never used the two Coxe reels that you listed, but the # 25 C would work fine for me. Now if you'd had a Talbot freespool in your list, the game would have been over right there!
Most tournament casters had a teardrop Shakespeare with the nylon gears that they used for accuracy casting, but never for the distance events.
PS What was your choice?
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Warren If you read my question----you will note that the last words in it were--OR SOME OTHER REEL. Now if you are to put your beloved Talbot--up against a Langley Lurecast or a 94 or 95 c Coxe? We will just have to set up a contest somewhere when we are both in attendance. I'll be at Colorado Springs.
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Yes, Mr. Logan I saw the last words after I'd made my post, sorry about that. As to a contest, I'm sure your casting skills are much superior to mine, but I believe I have a Talbot reel that just might make it pretty even. Of course a bottle of spirits would have to be on the line to help sharpen my aim. Sorry that I'll not be at Colorado Springs as that would be a great meet to settle the matter. Also we could have had Jack Bright hold the wager as I'm sure he'd be trustworthy to guard a couple bottles of wonderful liquid. Any meet that we'll both attend will be fine with me, I'll let you make the choice. I'll use a Talbot reel and a bamboo rod. What's your choice of equipment?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Now this is a nice Nobby
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Warren The line has been drawn in the sand. I will be using a 95 C Coxe, and a True Temper steel rod made from a piece of rebar called the Dynamic. I request that the lure weight be 5/16 of an once because I am using a reel that is not a free spool. My line test will be between 12 and 20 Pound nyon. Get ready --you know our paths cross two or three time a year.
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Willis,
I've been practicing for hours in the front yard today! Don't know what you're talking about with your idea of using a 5/16 oz. weight. The casting weights most used are the 3/8 and 5/8th oz. Let me know which you want to use as it makes no difference to the old Talbot when it's mounted on a sweet bamboo rod. I think you're selecting a nice combo with the Coxe on a True Temper Dynamic rod. I believe the Dynamic was the top of the line in True Temper's hollow steel rods. You've said nothing about the wager, I sure hope you're for it, as I'd enjoy having you watch me drink it after the contest.
PS You might want to use 40 lb. test line to make sure you don't have a break off in distance casting.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Warren Just keep practicing . 5/8 oz. weight is fine. Wager--A single malt , 12 years old or older would be great I apprecicate the advise on the 40 lb test for the distance cast--but I think the grave yards are in earthquake mode where our hero's from the past lie. Al Foss , Eddie Braddon. Frank Steel , Earnest Liotta Jr. and Earl Osten and others.--related to your 40 lb advise.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Willis, I will be happy to referee the contest. My advice is let Warren sample the prize first and you will have no problem Talbot or no Talbot. By the way you boys could compromise on the weight of the casting weight and use a 11/32 oz.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Warren Just in case you should show up at the ORCA Convention. I have fine tuned a 95 c coxe--that is ready to %$#[at]&*$ your #?%$
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Uh...I'm glad you both know each other...and apparently well enough...right?
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Ya gotta like that Willis. Using a fine J. A. Coxe reel made in BRONSON and a great command of the vernacular. Much the same as the towns folk here when the new water and sewer rates go into effect. :lol:

Have fun you two, but remember fishing is not a blood sport, unless you are going for the piranha...

Dave "O"
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Mr. Logan,
I was thinking about showing up at the ORCA meet, but now I'm afraid to! After all I'm just a 69 year old fisherman, not a champion caster like you must be. Maybe the first round should be a cage fight? By the way, have you obtained a spool of 40 lb. test line for the distance casting, as I've suggested? Also, does anyone know who this Mr. Logan is? He sure seems to know what he's talking about. Or is he just blowing hot air?
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Willis Logan wrote:I have fine tuned a 95 c coxe--that is ready to %$#[at]&*$ your #?%$
Sounds like it could be my ex-wife. I'll be darned if she couldn't fine tune a coxe.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

that is ready to %$#[at]&*$ your #?%$
Get your minds out of the gutter. "%$#[at]#&*$" means "macerate." He just misspelled it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

HEY! YOU KIDS KNOCK IT OFF!...DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE! :x
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

Now I remember who Willis Logan is! An old friend of mine from Okahoma. A mutual friend (I think he's from Bartlesville) reminded me that many years ago Willis and his friend Joey Nelson were well know as two of the best Carp fishermen in all of Oklahoma. Seems that Joey's Father sold cane poles and Willis's Dad had a bait shop that specialized in 5/16 oz. dough balls. Now it's becoming clear why Mr. Logan wanted to use a 5/16 oz. casting weight for our upcoming contest! I'm now wondering just how far he can cast a 5/16 oz. dough ball. My ol' Talbot reel is just shakin' from fear! Maybe we should up our wager to a magnum size bottle?
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Steve wrote:
that is ready to %$#[at]&*$ your #?%$
"%$#[at]#&*$" means "macerate." He just misspelled it.
Kind of funny that the mispelling translates into "macerbate", but I am having trouble with #?%$. Might it be foreign?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

HEY! YOU KIDS KNOCK IT OFF!...DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE!
I refuse to answer on the grounds that our elder statesman may be referring to us. :oops: