Club consolidation? Opinions?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Club consolidation? Opinions?

Post by dbummee »

I, also, am no longer a dues paying member of the club. The lack of decent stuff to find,
and the expense of it if found has led me to go in a different direction. That being said, I
would not want to be any part of any other club, especially, the Nflcc. The few times I tried to get involved
with them I was not impressed. So, I would vote no, if I had a vote.

Tom DuRose
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Mike

I checked with Sandy Schottenham and the NFLCC is a 501 (c) (7). They are tax exempt but they are considered a social and recreational club and their funding is largely from dues paying members. Similar to a tennis club according to one definition on the internet. They can not except donations like a 501 (c) (3) can. Donations to ORCA are tax deductible and officers may deduct meetings and travel if it relates to furthering the mission of the organization.

Roger
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I am presently a member of both O.R.C.A and the N.F.L.C.C.
I do not want to see O.R.C.A, or any other organization, swallowed up by the N.F.L.C.C.
I vote NO to consolidation!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

They are tax exempt but...
POP QUIZ:
Name 25 types of tax-exempt organizations. :loco: (Extra credit for additional ones.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

As an ORCA board member, I am on record as opposing club consolidation with the NFLCC or any other organization. I did however strongly advocate the reciprocal and cooperative arrangements such as honoring reciprocal memberships for attendance at shows. For example, at this year's ORCA National, NFLCC members may attend and the ORCA show will appear on the NFLCC calendar. Similarly, ORCA members may attend NFLCC shows without required NFLCC membership. Show registration fees must be paid of course. The main reason that I have not attended an FATC event is that they require membership in their organization.

This type of cooperative agreement encourages show attendance, and may help build membership in each organization, as members discover common interests. We might also extend these agreements to things like tackle insurance, technical assistance on digital and web projects, and auctions.

The challenge for every collecting organization is to sustain and grow the membership to support the purposes of the organization in a climate where ecommerce is impacting club membership, and all membership for all collecting is declining. It may be that interest in collecting is declining, but there is strong evidence that is not the case, the collectors are just finding more digital and online outlets. Certainly there is no large decline in auction proceeds or prices.

I would just conclude by saying that if you are enjoying the services of club volunteers that work hard to provide you with services, you should join that club and give back a little. As a member of both the NFLCC and ORCA, I believe both organizations provide tremendous value to our hobby.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steve wrote:
They are tax exempt but...
POP QUIZ:
Name 25 types of tax-exempt organizations. :loco: (Extra credit for additional ones.)
Types of Tax Exempt Organizations

Type of Organization I. R. C. Section

Corporations Organized Under Act of Congress
501(c)(1)

Title Holding Corporations for Exempt Organization
501(c)(2)

Charitable, Religious, Educational, Scientific, etc. Organizations
501(c)(3)

Civic Leagues and Social Welfare Organizations
501(c)(4)

Labor, Agricultural, and Horticultural Organizations
501(c)(5)

Business Leagues, Etc
501(c)(6)

Social and Recreation Clubs
501(c)(7)

Fraternal Beneficiary & Domestic Fraternal Soc. & Assoc
501(c)(8) & (10)

Voluntary Employees Beneficiary Associations
501(c)(9)

Teachers’ Retirement Fund Associations
501(c)(11)

Benevolent Life Insurance Assoc. Mutual Ditch or Irrigation Companies, Mutual or Cooperative Telephone Companies, Etc
501(c)(12)

Cemetery Companies
501(c)(13)

State Chartered Credit Unions, Mutual Reserve Funds
501(c)(14)

Mutual Insurance Companies or Associations
501(c)(15)

Cooperative Organizations To Finance Crop Organizations
501(c)(16)

Supplemental Unemployment Benefits Trusts
501(c)(17)

Employee Funded Pension Trusts (Create Before 6/25/59)
501(c)(18)

Organizations of Past or Present Members of the Armed Forces
501(c)(19)

Black Lung Benefits Trusts
501(c)(21)

Withdrawal Liability Payment Funds
501(c)(22)

Title Holding Corporations or Trust
501(c)(25)

State-Sponsored High-Rish Health Coverage Organizations
501(c)(26)

State-Sponsored Worker’s Compensation Reinsurance Organization
501(c)(27)

Religious and Apostolic Associations
501(d)

Cooperative Hospital Service Organizations
501(e)

Cooperative Service Organizations of Operating Educational Org.
501(f)

Child Care Organizations
501(k)

Farmers' Cooperative Associations
521(a)

Political Organizations
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Kyreels wrote:

“ I did however strongly advocate the reciprocal and cooperative arrangements such as honoring reciprocal memberships for attendance at shows.”

This 100%
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Post by butch carey key west »

Thank you. NO!

Orca life member
Former orca board member
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Life member of both ORCA and NFLCC

I vote NO
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

kyreels wrote:As an ORCA board member, I am on record as opposing club consolidation with the NFLCC or any other organization. I did however strongly advocate the reciprocal and cooperative arrangements such as honoring reciprocal memberships for attendance at shows. For example, at this year's ORCA National, NFLCC members may attend and the ORCA show will appear on the NFLCC calendar. Similarly, ORCA members may attend NFLCC shows without required NFLCC membership. Show registration fees must be paid of course. The main reason that I have not attended an FATC event is that they require membership in their organization.
I didn't realize the reciprocal policy was in effect with the NFLCC. Great to hear. I think that while the FATC has not yet come around to doing the same, I understand they have a long record of supporting ORCA through their shows and, in particular, the Daytona event that seems to always have a strong reel collector attendance. Maybe others can cite specifics about that subject.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Matt speaks the truth:

"The challenge for every collecting organization is to sustain and grow the membership to support the purposes of the organization in a climate where ecommerce is impacting club membership, and all membership for all collecting is declining. It may be that interest in collecting is declining, but there is strong evidence that is not the case, the collectors are just finding more digital and online outlets. Certainly there is no large decline in auction proceeds or prices."

This pretty well sums up what is going on in the tackle collecting world today.

Highest prices ever paid for many items is happening right now yet memberships continue to decline. This is true for ALL organizations. Doesn't matter if it is the local lodge, the local church or a tackle collecting club, the younger generations simply do not want to join clubs. They join things like facebook, instagram and other on-line things that I don't pretend to understand. Tackle collecting has gone this way too with many tackle items being sold on facebook I'm told.

One thing I do see at today's tackle meets are new members that I have never seen before. But unless they are willing to go beyond "Hi, how are you doing" you never know if they are new to the club or not. I know this has been discussed many times and I'm not sure there is a solution. Maybe asking for a show of hands of first time attendees and saying what they collect during the show might help. Don't know.

This is the challenge the collector clubs face today.

Colby
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Well said, and I totally agree with what seems to be the majority that favors non-consolidation. I see no advantages for ORCA, just a disintegration of its integrity. ORCA has a solid foundation, extremely well managed, with a functioning website for exchange, with the right priorities, and with some of the most intelligent, friendliest tackle collectors I have met. ORCA's planning and endeavors are well thought out and yes, "education" is a priority, not just a word in the by-laws!

In rebuttal to those who have blamed the internet for the loss of membership across all fronts, surrendering and calling it inevitable is not the way to go. Sure it’s caused a dent, but dents can be repaired by the right people. An organization simply has to offer advantages that can’t be had at facebook, etc. A functioning website that enables long term discussions and information and idea sharing is one thing (and I emphasize “long term”). My hats off to ORCA for maintaining this site as you do! There are many collectors, young and old, that do not participate in Facebook who welcome a chance for dialogue. There are dozens of things that can be done to make potential members become long-term, dues-paying members without lying to them or making promises that aren’t kept. Just make them feel wanted and not excluded! Be honest, and be sincere. Again- my thanks to ORCA!

I'm a member of ORCA, and I plan on staying a member! My thanks to all of you! Humbly submitted- Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Just wanted to add a few more words on this topic. ORCA appreciates all the users of this board and the long-time members that support the organization. There is a long history of officers and directors that have made this club a world-class organizations for education and collecting of vintage fishing reels. Thanks to all members for your continued support. There is a lot of hard work that goes into our digital and print work, and I personally thank everyone that contributes to that.

The full NFLCC/ORCA reciprocation is currently a work-in-progress, and not a complete written policy, but look for your officers to update the club as that matures.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Just fine the way it is. No to consolidation.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I belong to both. Can't afford lures, except to fish with. Recently had this conversation with John G. of Langs when he stopped for a pick-up. (Beginning to downsize) Two different groups of people. ORCAN's
are a giving, caring bunch of folks. ( Not saying NFLCC folks aren't) Many Reel collectors are like family including many I have never met and many never will. When I attend NFLCC events (If they are close at hand) it is ueually to see old friends from O.R.C.A.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19