The Times They Are A-Changin'

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Post by Tom R »

Ever notice the older you get the more things change? Progress I presume. I recently renewed my Maryland Chesapeake Bay fishing license at Herb's Tackle Shop and Hair Depot. Yup that's right, Herb's a barber AND a tackle retailer. He's an honest to goodness barber, not a hair stylist mind you. A man's man. A throwback to an earlier time when a shopkeeper offered unrelated business' under the same roof. When was the last time you saw a jeweler who made fishing reels???...huh, huh.....Herb's is an establishment without judgement or criticism, a place to dodge the reality of every day life if only for a brief moment of time. There's not many old school barber shops or tackle dealers opening up these days. Too much competition from the internet sellers and strip mall mega chain hair salons. That's what makes places like this special......so Herb just clean it up for me and tell me about those new lures over there...........sitting in the chair, Herb's got your undivided attention, a retailers dream, there's a white bib around your neck to keep the hair off your clothes but more importantly it keeps the drool off your shirt as he explains the latest and greatest additions to his inventory....he's got you hook, line and sinker not to mention he's got you for the price of a haircut too! Smart man.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: The Times They Are A-Changin'

Post by Mike N »

Great post! The Chesapeake Bay is an interesting & underrated national treasure. And spots like Herb’s only add to the charm.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Re: The Times They Are A-Changin'

Post by Stef Duma »

In 19th Nottingham there were a number of Hairdressers who sold fishing tackle.