My Grandpa's Briefcase

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

My Grandpa's Briefcase

Post by xjchad »

I had to make a trip down the border near San Diego last week to pick up some parts for work.  Took my wife and 3 youngest kids on an overnight road trip and spent the night in Carlsbad with my Grandma.  She's 93 and loves to see her great grand kids.  While I was there I found my late Grandpa's briefcase in a closet.  Grandma said she'd love for me to have it and I thought it might be neat to use for work instead of my backpack I've been using.  

It's still in pretty good shape, but it was a bit dusty and such.  I went over it with a toothbrush, washcloth, magic eraser, and armorall.  

It turned out pretty good and my laptop fits perfectly!

It rode to work with me today just like it did with him for many years.  :)
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: My Grandpa's Briefcase

Post by RAM »

Showing my age. I used one like it for years (quite a few years ago). May still be in the attic. Better check! Used to take overnight trips with one and no other luggage. It was a bit thicker than that one. Cool!

Bad Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I used one, too, and I'm eons younger than Bad Bob. If a latch hadn't broken, I'd still be using it to carry my meds.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Well, at least I know what age group I am in. I used one like it for many years, even after they went out of “style”. Finally converted to a soft-side one. That’s as far as I went. Never did like he “back-pack idea. Had the computer in the soft side and my tools in a soft side tool bag. Worked for me! Enjoy “grandpa’s attaché! Retro is in!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I used a black one for years. Never could stomach the thought of being see as a backpack person unless I was on a bivouac. I always carried my books under my arm on my hip and important documents in a brief case. I finally had to go to a thick expandable leather case when I had 20 or 30 house files I needed to tote around. The hard shell wasn't quite thick enough. I now use mine as a carrying case for my 13" portable flatscreen TV. That hard shell makes for great protection on trips. :wink: Nothing better than finding a good use for retro heirlooms. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I use mine to store my reels in that I fish with.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steve wrote:I used one, too, and I'm eons younger than Bad Bob. If a latch hadn't broken, I'd still be using it to carry my meds.
Yeah, Steve, but I heard this is what you carried:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Midway Tommy D wrote: I now use mine as a carrying case for my 13" portable flatscreen TV. That hard shell makes for great protection on trips. :wink:
I'm imagining you with that 13" tv on an airplane while everyone else is watching movies on their phones and tablets. :P
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jason wrote:
Midway Tommy D wrote: I now use mine as a carrying case for my 13" portable flatscreen TV. That hard shell makes for great protection on trips. :wink:
I'm imagining you with that 13" tv on an airplane while everyone else is watching movies on their phones and tablets. :P
Don't, I don't have a cell phone and I quit flying over 20 years ago. Had one terrifying SW hellish excursion to Vegas and back in the late '80s :twisted: , and during my next flight in '95 I found out my eustachian tubes don't like drastic air pressure changes. :roll: Had an excruciating headache for about 10 days and haven't flown since! :wink: I take the TV on my remote fishing trips just in case it's raining too hard to go out on the lake. :cry:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027