Virus

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Virus

Post by Wayne B. »

How is everyone affected by the virus pandemic?

I live in Virginia Beach. Crazy here. Restaurants not closed yet but many are closing voluntarily. No TP (stupid) and no bottled water. Shopping at the groceries is a free-for-all. Bread, Ramen, soup, Spam and Vienna sausage shelves are empty. Can't by a chicken breast. But WalMart had many rotisserie chickens available. It is stupid here!

Just want to know what's happening elsewhere.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Virus

Post by KIWI »

Yes Wayne, same here in Cambridge, MD. All our bars and restaurants are closed. No TP or paper towels. Hardly any food items, But the liquor and beer stores are fine. Doug
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hunkering-in-place in San Diego....same idiots hoarding TP here, but so far not suffering, unless you count the constant stream on the TV. Won golf match 3 and 2 yesterday...figured a density of 2-4 people per 100 square yards ought to do it.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Here in Florida, same problems as everywhere. People hoarding tp??? Lots of soap available though. In my home, scotch is running low but the cigars are holding out O.K. I will have to make a trip to the liquor store. Aside from that, starting to get eerily quiet? A little weird. Hope everyone is stocked up on the necessities! Stay healthy!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Things are nuts here in Fairfield County, CT ...which borders Westchester County, NY ...both of which are virus hotspots.

I heeded the warnings and stocked up a few days after I got back from the FATC show in Daytona. I've got enough stuff in the house to be okay for a month. But, canvasing stores for the few things I forgot I've seen shelves empty of hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, toilet paper, bottled water, soap, meat, ground turkey, chicken breasts/cutlets and bread.

But, bigger problems loom. The hospital that serves the immediate area has 371 beds and if 30% of the population (an often estimated number) gets the virus, we will be several hundred thousand beds short. Oh, and the state has 95 ventilators.

Many ORCANs are in the risk pool. We are mostly over 60, with many over 70.

I wish you all the best. Please take all the precautions you can to help yourself and others.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

?
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It's gotten weird here in eastern NE the last couple of days with many people freaking out. TP & paper towel shelves empty out as fast as they get restocked. :loco: Geez, they're even stealing TP from the I-80 rest stops so the state is contemplating closing some of them. :shock: I hate shopping, so when I do, I buy on sale and in bulk. We have plenty of storage area. I bought a lot of TP last summer/fall during a couple of big sales. Haven't bought any for six months and still have a couple hundred rolls in the closet under the basement stairs, and plenty of paper towels, too. We're good for a month to six weeks food wise except for perishables like milk, eggs & fresh veggies. Good on those for the next two weeks, though. We only have 23 known virus cases in the state so far and all of them are in the Omaha general vicinity and all but one came from from two hosts, one family that visited the UK & one businessman from DC. The state has limited gatherings to 10 people and closed all bars & restaurants except for carry out only.

I worry about my parents, though. They're 90 and still live on their own at home. Between me and my sister we make sure they have what they need so they don't have to leave except for Dr. appointments, and one of us takes them then.

I'll be glad when this pain in the rear Wuhan Chinese Coronavirus fiasco levels off and starts to weaken. :roll:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Tommy, probably shouldn't have advertised how much toilet paper and paper towels you have stashed. Word gets out quick! Ha! Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, 8 million people have been "ordered" to shelter-in-place. Everything is pretty much closed down, except grocery stores, pharmacies and the barest of essential services. My wife even had her dental appointment canceled, as all dentists have thrown in the towel for now. All bars are closed, so Martial Law might not be far away. Everything is surreal. One of the most congested areas in the world for traffic now looks like it did 60 years ago. I won't even mention how much we've lost in the Stock Market this last three weeks. Can't bear to look anymore. Because testing is so far behind in this country, nobody has any idea how many are infected. Stay safe guys. Be smart.
Mark
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

On the news several nights ago there was a doctor that stated 8 years ago he and his colleagues had invented a possible vaccine for this virus. However, they were denied funding for clinical trials. Therefore, they are now able to perform the required testing. By the way Mark, 8 years ago!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

This virus arose via mutation that allowed a species jump to humans. It did not exist 8 years ago. they were talking about SARS or MERS, both relatives, but there is no evidence a vaccine would cross-protect. It will be great if it does, but will have to be tested.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey John,

You available to go to Washington to help us out of this dilemma? We need all the help we can get.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Actually John, your partially correct. Coronavirus has been around a while, however the Covid-19 strain of Corona is new. True, they don’t know if the vaccine would actually have worked on this particular strain, but then again, it might have?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

In Ontario Canada we are seeing some of the same issues. Costco here implemented social distancing measures so we had to line up and wait our turn to get in today. Lots of product on the shelves as usual but no TP, no hand sanitizer, no nitrile gloves, no isopropyl alcohol of any kind. Isopropyl alcohol has been scarce over the past few days although a local distillery just switched some production over from vodka to make hand sanitizer that they plan to hand out for free starting tomorrow morning. You can get the 50% and 60% stuff at the Dollar Store but the 70% & 99% versions fly off the shelf as soon as they get stock. PPE is a big deal for health care workers. They are not getting the quantity of N95 masks needed. Rumours are that doctors are re-using after sanitizing with bleach. (My wife was an RN during the SARS epidemic and medical supply shortages is and remains a big deal here). At least with our medical system we don't get hit with major medical bills after the fact. Gas for cars is really cheap and my retirement savings are eroding just as fast as yours. A person I know ordered 2 cartons of TP last week from a major business supply retailer. The two cartons arrived today via the west coast... with half of one carton missing. More joggers than usual on our neighbourhood streets over the past 2 days. Lots of economic stimulus announcements today but the payout mechanism here won't be cheques in the mail. It will be a mix of applying for extended government benefits and taking advantage of income tax deferrals etc. The news cycle is overwhelming.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Here in WV we were oblivious to the rest of the world but finally had our first statewide diagnosis yesterday (the last of the 50 states) so the governor shut down all our bars and restaurants. I don’t drink alcohol during Lent and my wife is a great chef at home so that really doesn’t affect us. But I feel badly for all the waiters and waitresses and bartenders with a family to feed. To be told you can’t earn a a living through no fault of your own has to be devastating.

I’m still going to my office every day but most things are by conference call these days. I personally think the most important things to stock up on are multivitamins to keep your immune system strong and plenty of Clorox wipes for your hands, including a pack in your car.

My wife and I have three grown children we worry about, especially my daughter who is a veterinarian for a large chain that is still open. I also have 6 older siblings, including 5 sisters and our group texts keep us updated. I worry about my 84 year old mother in law and my last two surviving aunts.

I refuse to accept this as the new normal. The countries where these viruses seem to keep originating need to be forced to step up their sanitary and health care conditions now that the world seems to be borderless. Who would have ever believed that something from 7,000 miles away could change our daily lives so quickly?

I especially follow and love college wrestling and college baseball and was bummed out that the NCAA cancelled March Madness, the NCAA wrestling tournament and the College World Series. I feel sick for the seniors that worked so hard to be champions but who will never get the chance.

I do feel blessed we got the FATC Daytona show in under the wire and I got to see so many old friends.

May God bless and protect us all.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Some Facts about the Scourge Today

?
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

Here's some food for thought. When you were babies your momma wiped your butts with a cloth.
At least that was what happened 75 years ago when I first looked upon this world. So if it comes to the point where I have to wipe with a cloth so be it. Soap and water will clean out what you left there, and you can start all over again. What really bothers me is all these people buying up ammunition for their weapons. With
all the paranoia going around, I wonder how long it's going to be before we start hearing about gun fights
to protect someone's toilet paper horde.

Tom DuRose
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here’s the crowd at my neighborhood supermarket this morning. Little did I know that the delivery truck arrives on Thursday morning. When the store opened at 8 AM, the store manager was at the door and told everyone to make a line in the back of the store. When I went in, I saw no one went to the meat, bread, vegetables areas, but you guessed it - toilet paper. I was amazed at the long line of people with shopping carts waiting to get tp. It really reinforces on me the power of the media to affect the way people think. By the way, I already had tp and was good. :D
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Post by nomdeplume57 »

s!!!!! :roll:
Last edited by nomdeplume57 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Sanitizer formula

Post by arley »

For what it's worth:
A nurse gave me this formula for hand sanitizer-
1 part Aloe gel
2 parts alcohol - I used isopropyl .
10 or so drops of an essential oil- eucalyptus, etc. for smell.
Bottle it and shake the --- out of it to mix.
I compared it with some Purell and noticed no difference. Feel, smell etc.
I let my cat sniff my hands. he hissed and I have not seen him since.
if this doesn't work Dr. Elder told me to do it.Ha!( the American way- blame somebody, anybody).
Stay safe.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Costco posted Monday/ they had neither aloe gel nor alcohol. The secret is out Deke.

Bad Bob

PS: Advice is if symptoms appear call your primary care physician. Yeah. Try that.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Enterprising survivalists will extract their own Aloe Vera gel. We picked up a leaf yesterday. (It’s one of the things in the produce aisle of our supermarket that we normally ignore). Instructions to bleed off the yellow sap and then open the leaf and scrape the gel can be found on YouTube. Mix with alcohol and fragrance as discussed above.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

?
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Angling Auctions have postponed their spring auction and the Romsey tackle fair has followed suit

Mullocks auction is going ahead most of it is online.

Schools close today, my grandson started his new school yesterday and its looking like they will close for months.

Toilet rolls pasta baked beans are in short supply, I have managed to hoard two cases of Le Soulla 2009, two bottles of Gin and two bottles of Noilly Prat. I use it for cooking and Martini's.

Never in a month of Sundays was an old phrase that I now know the meaning off, as we have been advised to stay in and self isolate for 12 weeks.

I have a supply of books that I have started reading, the 3 volume Blacker story, The Doomsday Book of English Fish Taxidermy, The Flyfishers and a few more. I also intend to open some of the fruit boxes full of reels to try and start putting them in some sort of chronological order.

One comment I heard was that in 9 months we will have a glut of babies, autobiography's and the novels that in inside everyone of us. Me I just hope to finish my third book on the Nottingham reel makers, fishermen, writers and characters.

Stay safe everyone.