Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: "The consistency is that there's no consistency." - Michael Keaton

Post by john elder »

Thanks much, Steve...I needed this. He’s Dave Barry with a fly rod. I gotta go find his book.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
jhuskey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jhuskey »

Great humor in his writing. Banning recreational fishing, what the heck???
Missouri removed all license requirements temporarily, resident and non-resident. Kudos
Be Safe and Well,
John
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I once asked a successful fisherman what his best tip was, and he replied that he just went where most fisherman didn't go. He said if you were willing to walk a mile, you can find undisturbed fishing.

I thought the Commonwealth's recommendations were reasonable: Kentucky Fish and Wildlife encourages anglers to be aware of COVID-19 related actions taken by the Governor, including restrictions on non-essential travel, and follow the latest guidelines issued by public health experts.

Other recommendations on the Ky fish and game website make some sense, depending on the length of your rod (hey, some rods are less than 6 ft):

Bank anglers: Stay at least one fishing pole’s length from those around you. Take advantage of the outdoor space and practice social distancing. Find areas to fish away from places that others may naturally want to congregate, such as fishing piers.
Boat anglers: One family per boat. Do not share a boat with someone outside of your family or with whom you have not been in quarantine. Always allow enough room on the boat to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet.
At boat ramps, practice proper social distancing and avoid mass gatherings or crowded areas while on the ramps. Please take extra time to space out while waiting to load boats into the water. Stay off the ramp if others are loading or unloading to avoid crowding. Wait until the courtesy dock is clear of others. Avoid touching areas such as hand rails on the courtesy dock unless absolutely necessary.

Guess we all need a sense of humor, but I would not be happy with a governor that banned fishing. But I can understand the slippery slope of banning basketball hoops (removed in KY at most parks) and then allowing fishing. Its all too strange and subjective.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

California is striving for fairness in their controlling measures and it can get a bit crazy.

..can’t swim in pools, so...
..can’t swim in Ocean, so...
..can’t surf in ocean, so..
..can’t wade in ocean, so...
...can’t walk/run on beach ..you might stick your toe in, so
...can’t park along beach since a party might break out if two or more cars got close

...yesterday, they handed out 39 tickets in Cardiff to people who stopped and parked to watch the ocean or some violation of the above...that’s at $1000 apop.

All the fishing lakes are shut down as well as the golf courses. Interesting that while all this is going down, people are walking, running and biking on all the sidewalks as the cops are giving out tickets...obtaining equality in Draconian measures is indeed a slippery slope.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

john elder wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:39 pm obtaining equality in Draconian measures is indeed a slippery slope.
That, my friend, is quite an understatement. Most would call it tyranny and a lot of people are getting pretty sick of it. :evil: In some places one can go buy liquor on Sunday but not go to an outside church service with their family & sit in their own car? :loco:

There's this thing called common sense and our governments & medical personnel (federal, state & local) have been counselling us on safety measures since mid/late January. There's this one part of my mind that tells me that with all that advice anyone lacking enough common sense to keep a safe distance & follow proper hygiene by washing their hands until the skin starts cracking or almost falling off probably deserves what they get.

Nothing irritates me more than a bunch of bureaucrats that think they know more than me about keeping myself safe. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

As of 4:15 pm last Friday here in Michigan I can row my boat out from shore and fish, but I cannot put a 3hp motor on the back of it and go to the same spot and fish. Also if I do row out and fish it can only be with a family member. I also cannot hire the kid across the street to mow my lawn but I can mow it myself. I can go to a big box store and buy food and medicine but cannot turn around a pick up a can of paint to work on my own home. I cannot go to my lakeside cabin which I own. Hard to imagine how this is supposed to defeat the virus that is afoot.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bill Sonnett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:40 pm As of 4:15 pm last Friday here in Michigan I can row my boat out from shore and fish, but I cannot put a 3hp motor on the back of it and go to the same spot and fish. Also if I do row out and fish it can only be with a family member. I also cannot hire the kid across the street to mow my lawn but I can mow it myself. I can go to a big box store and buy food and medicine but cannot turn around a pick up a can of paint to work on my own home. I cannot go to my lakeside cabin which I own. Hard to imagine how this is supposed to defeat the virus that is afoot.
Sounds like a few of your fellow residents have had just about enough of it.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Great read, here in the UK its a similar story but we are a little more crowded (in parts) and it looks like it will be another 3 weeks.

We will be self isolating for another 7 weeks as we were advised to do it for 12 weeks due to age and underlying health.

We were going on a one month tour of Europe by train but thats down the pan now. Maybe a few days in the wilds of Scotland with a fly rod when its over. however I do expect there will be a second wave and possibly a third until a vaccine is available.