Post by Bud Chaddock »

P2060029.JPG

P2060026.JPG
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Lets try this

Post by Paul M »

Bud:
You seem to be having problems uploading pictures. They MUST be smaller than 2 MB.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Paul, John Bechtold is having the same problem and I was trying to help him. He claims to have downsized them and still no luck...any other thoughts?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

No idea. I’ll notify the webmanager:
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Uploading a picture as Deepfins791 permissions using the administrator tool to impersonate them.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

It is likely that there is an issue with the format of any jpeg image that you attempt to upload and it just spins. I was reviewing reported issues on the phpbb support site, and there have been reported issues with certain image processing applications, which create jpg images not compatible with the new phpbb3 software. There have been patches that have been applied, and most issues have been solved. If you encounter such an image, it usually can be fixed by editing the image and saving it. If you have a particular image you cannot post, send it to me using the Contact via email link on the sidebar on the right.
Matt Wickham
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Matt, I encountered that problem a week or so ago. Had a pic in .png format. Had to shrink it and convert it to .jpg, using IrfanView. Tried to upload in Reel Talk and failed. Reopened it in IrfanView, refiled it, and tried again. It uploaded ok. Mysterious.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

According to the phpbb support, it is an issue with some jpg processing that places the image size at the end of the jpg file instead of the more conventional first 200 bytes. But apparently, there are many variations of jpeg, and not all of them are processed correctly. I examined some Cannon camera images that did not work today.

We previously used a library known as ImageMagix, but there were security issues that phpbb decided that were not allowable with the new software. There have been many patches issued since the release of phpbb v 3.2 that improved the uploading of images, but apparently we still have some issues. Stay tuned, we will get them fixed. In the meantime, please send me images that do not work that are under 2 MB. And if you have a reliable image editor that always produces good uploads, please use that.
Matt Wickham
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Info - I use "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" to resize photos that are too large and they work fine on Reel Talk.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Note that Preview, which is on all apple computers at least, has an edit bar where you can crop and size as well as adjust brightness/contrast.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

My shortcut in dealing with large images files is to take a screen grab of whatever I want to post. The screen grabs are always small enough to post and the resolution is adequate for RT. On my Mac desktop my screen grab utility is always in the background and activated by 2 key strokes. On iPhone it is also a 2 button capture and unwanted edges are easy to crop with the built in photo tools. Screen capture on a Windows PC is equally easy if you know the keyboard shortcuts. This saves the time and trouble of opening picture manipulation software.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Testing the upload of problem image file. This image was previously not uploading correctly, but seems to be fine now. It was 1.9 MB, but the image size was encoded in such a way as to be problematic. It now works after previously failing.

Matt Wickham