Most overpriced/underpriced fishing collectibles?

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Most overpriced/underpriced fishing collectibles?

Post by Mike N »

I collect about 10 vintage fishing categories and follow auctions closely. The following is just my opinion. I would really like to hear what others think about the state of these markets:

1.Vintage metal spoons with maker’s mark and antique swivels.... most underpriced items in today’s market.

2. Ideal wooden floats......most overpriced, likely driven by interior decorators as much as collectors.

3. Kentucky reels... a favorite of mine with their handmade craftsmanship, but I don’t see prices ever rebounding to 1990s highs, except for the rarest examples.

4. Tournament casting reels and related items like casting line...overpriced, but a growing market.

5. Quality fly fishing tackle... underpriced. Fly fishing is the growth demographic in fishing, and attracts high income and conservation-minded fishermen and women. The question is whether these individuals will become “collectors.” Bogdan reels come to mind on the high end and side mount fly reels are regaining the popularity they had with top collectors 20 years ago. Pflueger medalists and Hardy fly reels continue to perform well in on line auctions.

6. Spinning reels...underpriced, especially the good ones with fitted leather cases or NIB.

7. Big game saltwater tackle... the best of the best keep rising in price. Another good demographic. Who doesn’t get nostalgic about Ernest Hemingway or Zane Grey?

8. Antique (100+ years old) bamboo fly rods... probably underpriced, but nearly impossible to display, which holds prices down. That being said, the beauty of the craftsmanship of those old varnished bamboo rods with their colorful thread wraps and artfully crafted ferrules and line guides, makes collecting them quite addictive.

9. Antique flies and fish decoys...the lack of provenance and the reality of outright fakes keeps prices in check. Who knows?

10. Vest pocket collectibles, fly fishing tobacco tins, etc....underpriced. Tougher and tougher to find the quality items. Reel oiler prices falling, but reel oil bottle prices keep climbing.

11. Vintage fishing books... being sold by the pound, though early pre-1920 fishing magazines with good artwork covers are doing well. I expect old catalog prices to fall as everything becomes digitally available (and I say this despite recently paying a King’s ransom for two pre-1900 Orvis catalogs.)

12. Creels and fish plaques/carvings...if you can identify the maker with provenance, prices are steady and slightly rising. Otherwise, not so much.

ADDED:

13. After this thread was linked to Joe’s site, someone mentioned vintage wooden landing nets. I agree quality wooden nets are very underrated and very cool, too.

14. New York ball handle reels....very reasonably priced. Where else can you get a civil war era, quality piece of marked hand craftsmanship for $275?

15. Vintage ephemera- defined as “meant to be disposable“—- printed advertising materials, signed letters, manufacturers envelopes (also known as “covers”)- I’ll venture that this is one area where it is still possible to find something for a dollar that is worth 100x that amount. But it takes a lot of looking.

16, Vintage state fishing license pin backs...this is an area my son and I have focused on the last several years. Not all states issued them. The king of this segment is of course the Pennsylvania state button from the 1920s thru 1950s with the non-resident and tourist versions very hot. The key is condition. Fishing (and hunting) license badges from the South, i.e., NC, SC, TN, GA etc are very hot but very overpriced right now because they seldom come to market for some reason. They regularly sell for $100 or more even for resident licenses. However, common sense dictates there has to be tens of thousands if not more in old tackle boxes throughout the South ready to flood a thin collector’s market one day when word gets out. Sportsman hunt & fish club badges issued to their members from the 1930s to 1950s are still very reasonably priced when you can find them.

17. Bait buckets, minnow traps and tackle box prices are very soft compared to ten years ago, so you could say the good examples are underpriced.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Most overpriced/underpriced fishing collectibles?

Post by kyreels »

1.Vintage metal spoons with maker’s mark and antique swivels.... most underpriced items in today’s market.
Have to agree, I have several in the 1-5 $ range, NOC
2. Ideal wooden floats......most overpriced, likely driven by interior decorators as much as collectors.
Agree, I have around 10 and have been outbid the last couple years
3. Kentucky reels...
I think the prices are stable and steadily rising, agree they are down overall this decade from the past. But the rare stuff is just as high. I need a Ky Saltwater reel badly.
Tournament casting reels and related items like casting line...overpriced,
Not sure I can fully agree there, but I would say all tournament casting items seem to command a premium over the unmodified items, even when the modification makes them worse. Some tournament items are actually falling a lot from the past 10 years, not many serious medal or weight collectors anymore. Line spools do seem to be rising and have always been somewhat scarce. I also think the tournament spinning reels with the long spools are high, I don't seem to be able to buy one for under $1000. I have made serious offers. Its the ABU collectors propping that up.
Vintage fishing books.
Have to agree there has never been a better time to buy books. I have added a lot lately, although I did miss one recently due to stupidly underbidding and I may never see it again. Make sure you take this opportunity and bid right for the rare stuff.
Vintage state fishing license
They don't make them anymore, so I may have all I need or want. I can't find much in my state interests.
Bait buckets, minnow traps and tackle box
Next to books, this may be the biggest drop. I attribute it to the understanding what is really rare based on the internet. I have been able to bid or buy on anything in that category I ever wanted. There are still a few rare items going at low prices.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bamboocollector11 »

I'll add wooden rods as an area of collecting that is underpriced. Historic rods, marked and sometimes even dated can be had for a pittance.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

bamboocollector11 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 pm I'll add wooden rods as an area of collecting that is underpriced. Historic rods, marked and sometimes even dated can be had for a pittance.
I totally agree. I don't understand why there hasn't been an interest in these.
Mark
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Agree about the OP and the additions. I would add:

Undervalued - Correct, original reel boxes, especially pre WWII

Much harder to find the correct box than the reel. I am always on the lookout for pre-war Penn reels. Over the years I've found hundreds in the field, but I can count the number of early boxes found on one hand. Paper reel boxes were often thrown away upon purchase, or they have deteriorated over the years, sometimes from storing wet reels in them, and thrown away. Values may be held back by reproduction labels.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I think the main reason wood rods have low marketplace awareness is due to lack of general knowledge. I recently acquired this book recommended by Mike Norgay https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewto ... ng#p106005 highly recommended for wood rods.
Matt Wickham
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Jeff's book is a brief overview, with some nice wood rods in it. The old original catalogs are still the best references for what was produced, though. Needless to say, some of those catalogs can be a tough find. However, catalogs from Thomas Chubb and Vom Hofe for example, both prolific makers of wooden rods, can be found online. Catalogs from Montague, who produced wood rods right up until WWII, can be found from time to time.
Mark
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I agree the classic rods are still very affordable. I recently picked up this vintage lancewood “valise” seven joint, 9-piece Chubb in excellent condition on eBay for $142. The 1895 Chubb catalog ad for the rod is posted below.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

That's a BEAUTY!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

wrong99 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm That's a BEAUTY!
Thanks, Mark...but as I noted above, these antique rods are “nearly impossible to display (but still) quite addictive.“

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Yes, they are even tougher to display than they are to photograph. Especially if they have the bag & tube or the formed wood holder.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I love that display, will be building something similar in the future.
Matt Wickham
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:40 am I love that display, will be building something similar in the future.
Matt, the rod rack shown was made of red cedar (except the pegs) for me by Arthur Edwards of Georgia, artnkar@planters.net. I just sent him a rough sketch of what I wanted.

Art sets up every year at FATC Daytona. The rod rack totally disassembles without any tools to take to shows. Art built and shipped it to me for about $175. Here are a few more views:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990