Hoping to ID a Fly Rod

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Hoping to ID a Fly Rod

Post by jr.evansii »

I'm hoping that someone recognizes and can help identify this rod.

Looking at the "Whole" picture, you can see that the upper section is about 5" shorter than the lower. The rod measures 81 3/4" assembled and the last guide is only 3 1/2'" from the tip top, so something has been broken off of the end. You can barely make out the marks where 2 guides are missing from the upper section. One just above the 32" - 33" mark and the other above the 47" - 48" mark on the tape.

The reel seat looks very similar to the Horrocks-Ibbotson Plastic Screw Locking style.

The guides have seen better days, but the winding's still show the red and black bands clearly.

The tip top looks to me like it may be a replacement. It is loose and needs repaired.

The ferrules are still solid and fit tightly.

The area that appears to have had a label measures 2 1/8" by 7/16" and was definitely rectangular. (Handle is to the left) I wish that I could have gotten a good picture under the UV light, it really shows up well that way.

I didn't see any evidence of a winding check next to the handle or that one had been there.

I'm a little confused by the length. At 81 3/4", with the tip section only about 5" shorter than the lower, would this have been a 7' or 7 1/2' rod? At 7', the last guide would have been about 8 1/2" from the tip. With the next guide about 12" from that and the next about 15", that may be about right. At 7 1/2', the existing guide would have been about 14 1/2" from the tip, which seems too far, but also too close for it to be missing a guide.

Thank you for the help!
J.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Hoping to ID a Fly Rod

Post by wrong99 »

Your rod looks like a Horrocks-Ibbotson No.1407-1/2 "Rainbow" model. Only built in the 7-1/2 ft. length. It's possible the female ferrule on the butt could have been reset at some point, which would account for the unusual length if both sections were the same length as the butt section is now.
Mark
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Mark,

Thanks for the info. So, you think that it lost 1-2" off the butt and about 6-7" off of the tip? I'm guessing that it probably won't cast worth a darn. I don't know whether I'll leave it as is, or throw some cheap guides on it and hang it on the wall. I don't think that anyone (except me) is likely to pull out a tape to check the length!

As I was looking on my own, I had found something very similar on fleabay. It was an H-I "Lucky Strike" 1308 1/2. I didn't know whether there was a corresponding 7 1/2 footer. It's hard enough learning about the reels that I have (and my collection isn't very big) and I haven't even started studying the rods.

Thanks again,
J.
jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Mark,

I screwed up! Total length is 7' 1 3/4", or 85 3/4", NOT 81 3/4". So, adding 4-5" on the tip would bring it to 90" or 7 1/2' total. I guess all of the loss is on the tip. Oops!

J.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

That makes sense.