Not to change the subject, but...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

12lb brown trout aren't bad but up here running along our campass you can catch the occasional 20lb salmon or laker in the spring not bad for a between class adventure. :D
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Since this thread has now branched out into collegiate fishing competitions, I must confess to catching 8 pound walleye and 3 pound smallmouth while attending my alma mater - St. Lawrence University of Canton, NY. I also was a party in the "landing" of a 40+ pound musky, which brought me a visit from the NY state fisheries department. Those expoits took place over 50 years ago, but were the highlights of my college career and I remember them well.

Incidentally, most of my collegiate smallmouth were caught on a fly rod using an Ocean City fly reel. I used a casting rod I made with a Pflueger Akron for the other fish. Below is my favorite photo of myself studying in my room during college.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

They sure don't make dorm rooms like they used to. Did you guys carry weapons to class? It probably would have created a lot of grade inflation.

Yo Brian! Guess you can move this thread back to Reel Talk now.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Neat

Post by Teal »

Phil,

That is one great photo.

Did you ever think to write up your fishing/hunting experiences ala Bob Miller's Willow Creek? You surely have enough yarns to spin, and assuredly some great photos.

--Dr. Todd
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I guess I can't let this thread die. In case you don't read USA Today (and I don't unless a hotel leaves it at my door) the main front page story was BOISE STATE - FIGHTING FOR THE LITTLE GUY. This was not the sports section, it was the front page above the fold.

One already noticeable(?) benefit of BSU's selection was pointed out by coach Peterson on TV last night. He is now turning down recruits that he had been previously wooing. High School kids from all over the country are wanting to come to BSU and (sorry Bad Bob) play football.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

If you'll let me tie some threads together:

Leon Hart majored in mechanical engineering at Notre Dame. Wonder what all those kids will major in at BSU. The Florida schools offer a pretty wide variety of majors, e.g., exercise science, golf and sports turf management, et al., that attract a lot of today's college athletes. BSU better be ready.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

That's no big deal Phil-Kids from all over the country even want to play at Vandy and we haven't had a winning season in a quarter of a century. Alas, the great majority can't meet the entrance requirements or play football either. Bad Bob
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Vandy

Post by Teal »

Bad Bob,

Isn't Vandy's Athletic Department technically run by the Intramural Sports people? I thought I read that somewhere. No kidding.

--Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Todd-Vandy's athletics dept. is indeed different. All athletes are now merely part of the general student body-not segregated by dorms etc. No athletic director. They (the enemy, meaning SEC football powers) said it was the kiss of death for the program. Well, since then we beat both Georgia and Tennessee in football at their place, and just a couple of nights ago Georgia Tech (nationally ranked) in B-ball. Gives a whole new meaning to the expression "Student Athlete" (85% of the football team graduate at VU) Cheers for underdogs like VU in most games and Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl! Bad Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

A mini-editorial from the Philadelphia Inquirer, 12/23:
Bowled away

Here's an argument for a playoff system to determine the championship of Division I playoff football, a la March Madness in basketball.

Here are the names of some of the bowl games littering the ESPN program guide these days: the PapaJohns.com Bowl; the Champs Sports Bowl; the Meineke Car Care Bowl; the august Chick-fil-A Bowl; the venerable MCP Computers Bowl.

Gee, whatever happened to the Poulan Weedeater Bowl?

And, oh, the riveting matchups in some of these proliferating bowl games: Rice vs. Troy (not to be confused with that classic Homeric matchup, Athens vs. Troy); South Florida vs. East Carolina, and Cincinnati vs. Western Michigan.

Why, some of those teams even won more than six games in the 12-game regular season.

NCAA, we rest our case.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Steve-May I further suggest that any school playing in the BCS championship game must have defeated the following teams during the season: Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, and Florida. In case it is one of those five that becomes eligible by beating the other four, then that team must have also defeated Boise State. No! Hold on! Only requirement is that they merely have PLAYED all those teams, otherwise there would be only one eligible team. This challenge includes Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame and any other football team in the world! Bad Bob

PS-I also suggest that each football player on athletic scholarship in any conference be required annually to write a different grammatically correct sentence containing a minimum of five committee-selected words. These words shall include a minimum of one verb and one noun. Boise State and Vandy athletes will be given a minimum of seven words. That should even the playing field! "Leave the C out of BCS and you have BS"
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

when I attended Vandy in the late 70s, athletic events were, um, interesting, at least.
There was cheering for anybody that did well, and moans for tough hits.
Didn't seem much like we were choosing sides, and certainly didn't expect to win.

We did beat UT on Thanksgiving Day, '75, though.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

In the 12/30 Wall Street Journal, Russell Adams has a column entitled "The Not-Another-Bowl Bowl," in which he writes about the
...[bowl] organizers, who strongly consider a team's ability to get their fans to travel when they hand out invitations in December.
So there you have it. If BSU can convince their fans to take off their water skis or stop fishing for a couple of days and load up in busses, they'll have a shot at the BCS next year.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Interesting development here I hadn't noticed until yesterday Steve. There is actually a bowl game (MCS Bowl) in Boise tonight! Nevada and some other would-be power. Oh yea, It's Miami! Is that ironic or what? Fans leaving Miami in late December to sit in the stands in Idaho!)
Since all Boisians have gone to the Fiesta bowl, who is left to open the gates to the stadium? Also, who is left to shovel all the snow off the field and the stands and sell beer? Phil, here is a great opportunity for you to do your civil duty and see to it that the Boise Bowl is a success! You will be famous!
Next year it is my understanding that game may be played in Barrow, Alaska. They are counting on global warming to melt ice from the field. Special lighting is unnecessary. Provided by the Northern Lights. Name of bowl? "The Midnight Sun Bowl". Plenty of attractions to lure fans-like seal hunting and whaling. And who said the bowl fiasco had finally run its course? Even Nashville has a bowl. Bad Bob
PS Georgia beat Va. Tech in the Chic-Fil-A Bowl!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

If BSU can convince their fans to take off their water skis or stop fishing for a couple of days and load up in busses, they'll have a shot at the BCS next year.
Steve: BSU sold out every ticket provided them, and could have sold more. There are over 15,000 BSU fans in Arizona now. One guy came all the way from Japan. I just hope they play up to their capabilities, and don't get blinded by that fabulous stadium.

Bob: The game is the MPC (that's Micron PC's) bowl, which was formerly the Humanitarian Bowl. It has been in existence for many years before you started ribbing Boiseans. Some of the teams that have played here in the past include: Boston College, Iowa State, Louisville, Fresno State, and of course, Boise State. You can do a Google search to find out who else. Incidentally, both teams went to a Church Fellowship dinner last night. Pretty good when you can get Miami to go to a Church dinner, eh?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Phil- I assume all this means there really is air service to Boise. I have heard of Iowa State and Louisville, but where is Boston? Close to Boise? If 15, 000 Boiseans went to the Fiesta Bowl who in h--- did unlock the gate? I didn't know Boise had a population of 15,000. Amazing what you can learn on the ORCA web site. By the way, watched the first few minutes on ESPN a bit ago. Temp. is 20 degrees. Wow, with that kind of great weather, no wonder they get such good teams to come there in December!
Back to Google again huh Phil. Tried something. Googled my wife's name, including maiden name, put in Nashville, our street name (unusual street name too), even the street NUMBER and still got over a thousand hits, none of which were wife. Great source for info! If you really need answers to something don't Google. Just call Craig Barber or Steve Vernon.
All seriousness aside, good luck to the Broncos! Bad Bob

PS- Sorry about fouling up the bowl name. I did get Chic-Fil-A right didn't I? Or is there a k in there? Anyhow, Georgia did win (third straight win over a ranked team. Maybe someday BSU will do that in a bad year!)
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

RAM; Keep up the good work. Actually, there is no air service to Boise or anywhere else in Idaho. There also are no paved streets in Nampa, we have a generator out here to power this computer, and the Coleman lantern really doesn't give off enough light. The wood stove is keeping me warm today (that's the truth). It is only 32 degrees (not 20) along the lakeshore now, with light snow. I note no snow on the ESPN picture to cover that great blue turf. Tell everyone that the fishing and hunting stink, too. Maybe that will keep out some of the 100,000 people who moved to this valley in the past 5 years. The land rapers and chambers of commerce won't appreciate it, but I could really use your help.

Learn to use those quote marks when Googling, Bob. I don't know your wife's name, but your information (address, phone number, and a map to your house) is sure readily available, along with reports on all those papers you wrote. It's all on page one with a good search.

I guess I'm really weird - I like Google. It has found me information that took years while doing my Meisselbach research. I also like eBay. It has found stuff for my collections that previously took years - even when we were attending 30+ shows each year and finding tackle everywhere you looked.

Edit: My apologies to Miami for remembering the pre-Coker days. I learned during the game that they had the highest graduation rate of any football team in the country last year.

It was a pretty good game, with 25,000 attendees. This occurred when it was learned that all the wolves that you easterners wanted to have in Idaho were circling outside Boise, so everyone ran to the stadium to escape.

Further info for Steve: it was noted that in Tempe as of last night BSU fans outnumbered OK fans 30:1.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Truce Phil-I never did pollute Idaho. Closest I got was West Yellowstone MT, proving my adage that the less someone knows about something the more likely they are to have an opinion. All in sport!
Did Google Boise population: 92,014 males, 93,723 females, median age 33. Too many people live in Idaho. Do sincerely wish to come there someday and fish, but seems that I may not be welcome. Two friends just got back from steelhead fishing there. Would have talked them out of it if I could have. However, they didn't bring any fish out with them (one caught a 12" smallmouth. Most expensive SM ever caught by him) . They did not litter, and they did recycle over $3,000.00 back into the economy, a lot of which stayed in Idaho. One was a preacher. Surely he meant well. Lucky the wolves didn't get them. Should have used you as a SM guide!

Happy New Year and tight lines! (The temp at gametime there was 20 degrees. Got colder as the game went on. Know there must have been snow there somewhere. The weather at the Music City Bowl here can be brutal on occasion, including snow. Record low here for this date is below zero).

PS- Email me about the use of Google quotation marks. To the contrary of my inane posts, I do frequently use Google for technical sources, but get bogged down in trivia of no value to me. Have tried all sorts of short cuts but none seem to work. Tried just yesterday to find details of Pre- Pleistocene salmonid evolution but mostly what I got was abstracts of esoteric papers dealing with DNA of trout. We cyber dummies need all the help we can get. Never had the luxury of any tutoring. Bad Bob
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Tried just yesterday to find details of Pre- Pleistocene salmonid evolution but mostly what I got was abstracts of esoteric papers dealing with DNA of trout.
Huh?
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Sure hope this lasts - 7-0 BSU.

yay-banana yay-banana yay-banana yay-banana yay-banana

Wow! 14-0. This can't keep up. Gonna hang up my connection now, so I'll either gloat or cry tomorrow.
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Boysee Stats

Post by Jack Bright »

Yeah 14-zip and I just saw Meechigan get their buttocks whipped----
again by USC, will we ever turn the corner ?
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

UNBELIEVABLE

Post by Jack Bright »

YIKES! Less than a min. 20 to go and an interception. I feel for ya Phil
and all the rest of the Idahons in the Pogo Bowel.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jack: How's that for a last 1:20?

I guess most of you know who Boise State is now - If you easterners stayed up late enough to see that finish in Overtime.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Boise State proved it belonged in the BCS and started another lively college football debate.
They should be up there playing for a national championship -- 12-0, finish the season 13-0
And it could be argued that Boise State was in the wrong BCS game.
Right on! It would be unanimous, except for the a___s who organize the bowls.

P.S. How did this turn out?
Moments after Johnson ended the game, he asked his girlfriend, Broncos cheerleader Chrissy Popadics, to marry him.
Rubber Reel Lady
Frequent Board Poster

Ian Johnson's Proposal

Post by Rubber Reel Lady »

His girl friend, Chrissy, is now officially his fiancee. How could a cheerleader turn down the guy that just made the winning play?