Al's Energy Gobbling Pad

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Al's Energy Gobbling Pad

Post by RAM »

Nashville Tennessean: Monday, Feb. 26, 2006 (REALLY)

Al's Belle Meade pad has 10,000 sq. ft. (including his guest house)
Mine has 2,000 sq. ft. (including my office)
Al's average monthly electric bill there: $1,200
My average monthly electric bill: $120
Al also has an average monthly natural gas bill of $1,000
I use NO natural gas
Note that Al's house is five times larger than mine but that he uses ten times the electric energy (excluding heat, which is from natural gas. That puts it at twenty or so times my total energy usage)

The Tennessean did not include these statictics for my house-only Al's for some reason. Never even contacted me.

Notes: In Al's favor he admits he needs to do more. He buys a few hundred dollars worth of "Green Power" monthly. This is wind etc. produced TVA power that goes into the general system. I assume you get credit for helping them pay for it (it costs a hefty premium meaning it is economically unfeasible, but it gives hand wringers something to hold onto).
He also has apparently applied for rights to add some solar panels. Belle Meade is so uppity they frown on such tacky thingies on roofs. But after all, this is a god-like person here, not your average Belle Meade millionaire.

The Academy Award people stated in giving the award that Al had been in the forefront of this movenet for thirty years. Really? I want proof of that.

Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:shock:
Last edited by john elder on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Al Gore wrote:tobacco smoking is a significant contributor to global warming
and smoking dope in law school (Vanderbilt Divinity School ?) is one of the leading causes of stupid politicians.

there is a school in this country, with Mr. Gore as its headmaster, that believes that if you say something often enough, it becomes the truth - and if all else fails, make a movie.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Ron Mc-The VU divinity students burn incense I think. Don't know what they use, however.

PS-VU has now beat the Kentucky Wildcats four consecutive games! How 'bout them Commodores?

Any misspelled words here?

Anyone want to nominate me for a Nobel Prize? How about "Cynic of the Year"? If I win I promise to make a substantial contribution to ORCA.
SilasTerry
Frequent Board Poster

Post by SilasTerry »

I am a Life Member of Trout Unlimited and I donate to their activities regularly. Does this mean that I can go ahead and throw my empty plastic water bottle into the river instead of shoving it down my waders and bringing it home? After all, since I donate to the cause, my littering is balanced out, right?

These "limousine liberals" really crack me up sometimes...

Dan
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's how my fishing trips usually end

Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Hey Ron - When I used to fish from the bank I would take along a plastic bag too. Sometimes I spent mkore time picking up after others than fishing. Especially if the fish were not biting. Others who see you may wonder about you but it feels good.
Don
SilasTerry
Frequent Board Poster

Post by SilasTerry »

The funny part comes when curiosity gets the better of the person watching you pick up trash. They automatically assume that you have figured out some way to make money, otherwise, why would you bother, right? I spent an afternoon once dragging trash from the bottom of a pond that I was scuba diving in. I would fill my "bug bag" with cans and bottles, bring them out to the shore where there was a trash barrel, and then go back for more. Each time, I would look back and find that the bystanders were going through the garbage looking for returnables (worth a nickle in CT) and in most cases, dropping their "rejects" on the ground OUTSIDE of the G'*D.A.M. reel*ed trash barrel, which I then had to pick up and put back. One of these guys even had the nerve to approach me between dives and ask me if I wouldn't mind letting him pick out the returnables before I dumped the bag, because it was inconvenient to have to dig them out of the deep trash barrel.

It is good thing I didn't have a saltwater spear gun or bang stick with me at the time.

Dan I
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I can't walk past litter in my rivers - makes me guilty.
The best advantage I can think of for carrying a trash bag, though, is when you have to tresspass on the bank to get around a chute or pool and make headway to the next run. More than once I've met a landowner, he'd ask me what I was doing, I would explain to him and show him the litter I picked up. Every time - so far - the landowner has thanked me and invited me back at my discretion.

I've mentioned before that I head up a flyfishing small group in my church. We go to Sat. Nite church and fish every other Sunday morning. That load above was picked up by four of us in a half-hour at the end of our outing. And yes, we were picking it up right in front of the people that had put it there.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Ron, I want you to know that viewing the great photos of your fishing spots is very enjoyable. You fish some beautiful spots and it's obvious you love your rivers. Keep them coming.

Here's a photo of the Snake River in a popular area for fishermen and jet boaters. They catch sturgeon, smallmouth bass, and big channel cats in this area. It is in the USFWS Birds of Prey section of the Snake, and consequently there are no longer any ground squirrels, jack rabbits, or mice in the area. I fish about 20 miles downstream from here because everyone else fishes here. As you can see, it appears a little more arid than most people imagine.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

No nominations for a Nobel Prize for me as Cynic of the Year? Okay, then how about one for Literature? Either Willow Creek or the Supreme book should qualify me. Think of what it would mean for Tennessee to have two nominees in the same year! Or how about one for RonMc or Dan as Garbage Collector of the Year?
Bad Bob-Also a TU member, but not enough years left to make a life membership economically feasible. Haven't been trout fishing in over three years but attend all TU meetings. That's where I do my best fishing. I figure what is good for Brookies is good for me.

Love your brother
Fish often
Defend the right to disagree
Trust your own judgement, but not everyone else's
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

bob...you boyz best duck back there in TN...from the looks of the weather forecast this AM, thar be nasty things heading your way!

..and you told us never to trust anyone that says trust me...wouldn't that include telling yourself to trust yourself? (I think I just crawled up my own...)
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Council has advised that I offer the following disclaimer:

I have never deliberately tried, explicitly or implicily, to convince anyone, whether a member or not, to accept anything I have put forth herein as wise, trustworthy, or as being based on sound research, especially items excerpted from newspapers (widely known for errata of all types). All opinions, statements, and inferences made by myself are subject to denial if quoted, paraphrased, or otherwise attributed to me.

On the otherhand, I am personally convinced I am right about virtually everything I have written to date. Bad Bob
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Correction: That is "Counsel" not "Council". Glad I caught that before Steve or the Deacon got me. Bad (speller) Bob
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

PS Two other misspelled words. Anyone catch them? Are there others?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, there's the "implicily" thing...but then, you're from TN and allowances have to be made...and i don't think you'll find "otherhand" as one word above the MDL...but otherwise, there is just nothing to criticize.

And it absolutely can't be denied that you are right in EVERYTHING you say...whether you're correct or not will be determined in the future.

aahh, almost forgot... :D :D usa usa yay-banana
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

but it gives hand wringers something to hold onto
It's not the spelling, Bob. You have that almost under control. But isn't each hand of a hand wringer already holding on to the other hand, by definition?
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Good afternoon Bob, John, and all:

I have promised to give up being rotten for lent, and sarcastic is included in there too. Now having said this, I'll still have to go to confession, as this whole discussion is leaving me with an evil smile on my furry mug.

Now carry on, and enjoy your debate my friends.

Jim
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Congrats to John for pointing out the misspelled words. As to my spelling being "almost under control" Steve, at least I can take credit for finding my own errors. A bit late, but remember who you are dealing with here. As to grammatical correctness, that should have read ""with whom you are dealing".
Bad Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Todd...Steve...give us a ruling on that "...inferences by myself..." comment...I would think "...inferences by me..." would be better usage...then, i am, indeed, dumber than a 5th grader.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Bush's Crawford, TX home is arguably far more environmentally-friendly than the Nashville home of Al Gore.

Marlo Lewis, Jr., a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) said, "It's interesting that Bush seems to actually practice conservation, while Gore seems to want to buy his way out of his obligations." Lewis was referring to the purchase of offsets for carbon emissions attributed to the high power use in Gore's 20-room mansion.

An April 2001 article in USA Today described the president's 4,000-square-foot single-story limestone house in Crawford as an "eco-friendly haven."

"Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into purifying tanks underground - one tank for water from showers and bathroom sinks, which is so-called 'gray water,' and one tank for 'black water' from the kitchen sink and toilets," it said. "The purified water is funneled to the cistern with the rainwater."

In addition, "the Bushes installed a geothermal heating and cooling system, which uses about 25 percent of the electricity that traditional heating and air-conditioning systems consume."
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

There are now something approaching 500 trees on my one acre lot here (really). Half my lot is dedicated as a natural hardwood mini-forest. Although most of these are sapplings, at least 25 or so trees are truly large oaks (up to two feet in diameter), along with some nice hickorys and a few other species. One burr oak I estimate is close to 150 years old. Along with adjacent neighbors little woodlots, there may be as many as 1,000 of these rascals on just five or so acres. I am guessing (without any capability of direct measureable evidence) that during the leaf-bearing season these trees consume more carbon dioxide than I produce by driving around town or cooling the house. And they make oxygen too. Ain't they neat? Less grass to cut, but a b----- to deal with when leaf rakin' time comes along! Still, good forced exercise without driving to the gym.
Consider:
No government program needed to pay me a subsidy for doing or not doing something.
Bought the house 41 years ago because of the woods.
Never had heard of global warming then.
Trees have grown like crazy in those 41 years.
All leaves either mulched or composted (for 41 years), never burn them.
I am still the most politicallyconservative guy on the block (and I don't even know them all)
Bad (too small to hug the burr oak but I would like to) Bob