A Review of ABC News Item 5/3/07 5:30 PM CDT

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

A Review of ABC News Item 5/3/07 5:30 PM CDT

Post by RAM »

Charles Gibson (nice chap) was told to say the following (and did) last evening, abstracted here:

"Global warming is causing an increase in youth allergies and asthma."

Basis: An interview with a pediatrician who said the number of such cases had increased significally since 1992. Reason increase has occured was global warming in cities caused by greater CO2 emissions there creating warmer conditions with subsequent increased growth of flowering trees and shrubs which also love the extra CO2, hence more allergens in the air.

Half truths, omissions, and outright errors in this report:

Cities were observed to be warmer over 100 years ago. They are warmer because they are bigger each year and are made of concrete, asphalt, steel, and bricks.

More asthma and allergy cases may more likely be attributed to the fact that there are far more children in our cities now than 15 years ago. There are certainlty far less trees in Nashville now than 30 years ago. Number of schools here have increased dramatically here over the past few decades. They are all currently overcrowded (with children, not teachers).

TV ads by pharmaceutical companies touting anti-allergy medicines in past ten years have saturated TV, hence more people go to the pediatrician these days asking for prescriptions for their kids. Hence "more kids with allergies".

Last, but not least: The only practical way to REMOVE CO2 from the atmosphere is to plant MORE trees and shrubs. If they are harmful as ABC News says, please don't tell the mayor of NYC who plans to plant a million trees there!

Orwellian DoubleSpeak-Tell the people anything enough times and they will eventually believe it.

Bad Bob (who believes Earth is not only warming now but has been doing so for the past 10,000 years).
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, that one's child's play, RAM...they feed us carp on the news every night...it's time for the Big Critique. I'll send you this movie I have all about global warming and you can critique the hell out of it. It is a bootlegged copy, so nary a dime will go to your all-time semi-Tennessian! Then, we can submit it to the orca library as the first edition of the anythingbutreels forum :D
Last edited by john elder on Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

send it here, too - I love science fiction.

I just don't like it when they call it news. I like it less when they call it science. I like it least when they call it policy.