2015 Convention - IGFA Museum - Ft. Lauderdale Florida

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

2015 Convention - IGFA Museum - Ft. Lauderdale Florida

Post by reeltackle »

`
2015 ORCA CONVENTION AT THE IGFA - FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

OK - Here are the dates and the preliminary schedule for the 2015 ORCA convention at the International Game Fish Association Hall of Fame & Museum.

2015 Convention Registration Form

SHOW HOST - Ed Pritchard - 561-818-1081 - also - Butch Carey - 305-745-1873

DATES - The show will be held Wednesday June 17, 2015 through Saturday June 20, 2015.

LOCATION - IGFA Hall of Fame & Museum - 300 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, Florida

http://www.igfa.org/Museum/Visit-the-Museum.aspx

Admission to the IGFA Museum will be FREE to all ORCA members for the duration of the show. The IGFA is a 60,000 square foot museum dedicated to fishing and fishing history. The museum also has the most comprehensive fishing library in the world. If you are doing any research on a project you might keep the library in mind and spend an extra day.

HOST HOTEL - Marriott Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/f ... uise-port/

Address - 400 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, Florida

Phone For Reservations - 1-954-342-8333 or toll free - 1-800-321-2211
Ask for Old Reel Collectors Room Block - To get the special room rate your reservations must be made by Monday May 25.

Room Rate - $116.00 + taxes a night for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Complimentary shuttle to and from the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport to the Marriott Courtyard.

The Marriott is 5 minutes from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport
The Marriott is just an ugly reel toss from the IGFA Museum

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE -

WEDNESDAY - Early check-in and registration, cocktails and the shootin' of the bull ... etc.

THURSDAY - MORNING - Casting Contests, Ugly Reel Toss
AFTERNOON - Fishing contest aboard a drift fishing boat out of Ft. Lauderdale. Time - 1pm until 5pm or 6 pm - Cost About $40.00. Bring Your Own Antique Tackle (BYOAT) - This will be a Blast!!!
For those that don't care to fish, you can spend the day getting lost in the IGFA Museum, do research in the IGFA library. And don't forget, just across the parking lot from the museum is a full blown Bass Pro shop.

FRIDAY - MORNING - Breakfast With the Board - Presentations, Official IGFA Museum Tour.
AFTERNOON - Set-up at the IGFA Hall of Fame & Museum

SATURDAY - Show From 8:30 Until 2:00 or longer - Both ORCA and the IGFA will both be advertising for folks to bring in their old tackle for appraisals and auction. The last show we held at the IGFA saw lots of great tackle come in off the street for auction so plan to stay a while and see what shows up.

BONUS SHOW FOR THE HARDCORE ANTIQUE TACKLE FAN

The Florida Antique Tackle Collectors (FATC) will be holding a club show in St. Augustine Florida the weekend prior to our ORCA show in Ft. Lauderdale. Come on down for the FATC show starting Friday June 12 and ending Sunday morning June 14, then, take your time and tour on down the coast Monday and Tuesday and end up at the ORCA show on Wednesday in Ft. Lauderdale. Two great tackle shows for the price of one!! FATC shows get busy on Friday and fizzle out a bit by Saturday night. Sunday is for breakdown and shootin' the bull. This show will have approximately 60 to 80 tables (unlike the Daytona International Show in February/March that has about 400 tables). Here is a link to the FATC web site for more information on the St. Augustine show.

http://www.fatc.net/Shows.htm

BONUS BONUS

There is a full blown Bass Pro Shop just an ugly reel toss across the parking lot from the IGFA Museum.

SEE THIS THREAD FOR MORE INFORMATION

- THANK YOU AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL THERE -
If you have any questions please feel free to give Butch or myself a call.
Best regards,
Ed Pritchard
Last edited by reeltackle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Re: ORCA CONVENTION 2015 - IGFA MUSEUM - FT. LAUDERDALE FLOR

Post by Willis Logan »

Thank You! Ed. & Butch.....getting the information to us this early helps in making plans. Fun Hobby!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: ORCA Convention 2015 - IGFA Museum - Ft. Lauderdale Flor

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Just tried to book a room and was told not on books yet at Marriott?? Jon
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I plan to be there and I will have lots of reels for sale or room trading. Mostly non-level wind freshwater multipliers.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Fantastic set and setup, Ed/Butch! I look forward to hitting that coast and seeing the IGFA headquarters and things FL!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Jonathan and all concerned,
I have been in touch with the Marriott several times to see what the problem was with reservations. They checked all avenues and there seems to be no problems as the hotel and main reservations line know about our group. They went over the list of folks that have already made reservations and it appears that you (Jonathan) were able to make reservations as your name was on the list of those that have rooms reserved. If anyone else experiences a problem please let me know .... also please be kind enough to let me know if you get the problem handled on your own so I am following up on a problem that has already been solved.
Thank you and looking forward to seeing everyone in June,
Ed
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I just called again, about an hour or so ago and made mine just fine. When I called the first time, a week ago last Fri. I first dialed the non toll free #. It appeared she transferred me to the toll free person and when I told her what it was for, she said I have no record of it. I told her I'd wait awhile and call back, which I did. No problem this time. Was it just recently you talked with them? Like I say, I just talked to her prior to your making this post. Thanks. ( That now gives me several months to see what kind of excuses I can come up with for not driving 1200 miles.) If I'm alive and well by then, as well as my son,
and my wife, (who will not be travelling with us) We will be there.) I won't be signing up for the ocean fishing trip. I still haven't recovered from being sea sick on Lake Erie years ago. Looking forward to it.
Thanks to you and Butch for your work in planning it all. Jon
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

always thinking of my stomach but across the highway from the IGFA is a decent seafood restaurant. however, against all advice, I always get it fried.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

I'll break down and ask the n00b questions :) I live a couple hours away from Ft Lauderdale. If I make it, I will only be able to attend Saturday to look at shiny things, tell about the 40 lb big mouths we have in the lake out back, and shake a ton of hands. That said do I fill out the form in the reel news? What boxes do I check and how much do I send? I'll probably bring dad and the kiddo, possibly mom.... Thanks, just trying to figure all this out :)
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Larry

If you just attend on Saturday and do not take in any of the events and seminars, you would not need to pay the registration fee. If you are selling something on Saturday and utilize a table, you would have to pay the registration fee and the table fee.

Roger Schulz
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

Ok, thank you Roger. Just want to make time to swing by and shake a few hands and meet the nice people I chat to on here, kind of like putting a face to a handle. I didn't join ORCA in time to plan the time off, but it is taken anyways this year heading north to visit family and a wedding. Just grab a saturday off....
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Can somebody tell me what kind of gear i should bring if i plan to go on the fishing trip?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

This is what Ed Pritchard had already posted about equipment.
- The fishing contest will be held aboard the drift fishing party boat the "Helen S". For those of you who attended the 2009 convention you will remember the fun we all had catching great fish out on the reef. You will want to bring a 1/0 or 2/0 size reel with some sort of drag or a leather thumb drag or, if you reel does not have a drag, make sure to have a glove with good padding on the thumbs. You will also want a rod to match. You can rig your own terminal tackle or they will do it for you on the boat. The bait is free, BYOB.
If I was going on the boat, and I'm not, my most important piece of equipment would have to be a "Barf Bag"
and I probably could not find an antique one!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Hey Folks, it's getting close to the 1-month countdown till the National Convention in June so hurry up and get your registration and reservations in! Ed and Butch will be putting on another great event for ORCA and the venue, the IGFA museum, is fishing and reel history heaven. It will be wall-to-wall antique reels, and many (as Ed likes to put it) as "big as your head". If you're thinking that your interests in antique freshwater baitcasters might be out of place, think again! You'd be surprised at what's going to show up to fill those holes in your collections. You might also want to consider coming a week earlier for the FATC show happening in the same area as the shows they put on are well known for always having a wide selection of quality reels on hand. Don't wait for the last minute to send in your registration to Roger Schulz and to book your hotel room. I know you will not be disappointed to get together with other ORCAns and talk/trade/buy/sell antique reels, so hope you all can make it!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Also, please consider donating an item or two for the annual Silent Auction to be held at the National Convention. We welcome donations of reels or other fishing collectibles that you think other ORCA members would be interested in. The proceeds raised through this auction provide a significant amount of funds to help keep your club in the black and up and running. People have always been very generous every year and there are always very nice items to keep bidding heated so we look forward to your help again!

Some Silent Auction items from the 2015 National: