2008 ORCA National Photos

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

2008 ORCA National Photos

Post by Brian F. »

:D Here are some photos by Reel News Editor, Richard Lodge:

Thank you Richard!
Last edited by Brian F. on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reelland44
Frequent Board Poster

ORCA Reel Display Contest Winners

Post by reelland44 »

I thought I attach and explanation of the display winners to Richard's pictures since I didn't take any myself.

Third place was Nate Dunham of Canyon City, Co., my co-host, with his cronological dsiplay on the development and changes in the Pflueger Akron reel. A very nice hands on pick them up display. Nice job Mate.

Second went to Phil White with his "bling" reel display of the prettier, fancier,more colorful & newer reels with batteries & magnets, computer memory chips, LCD screens, and maybe satelite location, blue tooth communication, wireless phone and HD TV for all I know. Neat stuff and costly too sometimes. Thank you Phil.

First place went to Jim Schottenham, the "Prez", with his wonderful New York Black Bass fishing display. Jim really did a fabulous job with his very educational display and I hope you all will maybe get an opportunity to see his display at another ORCA national. Way to go "Prez"!

Thanks to to all the rest of those that took the time to bring displays.
A special recognition was given to new ORCA member Jeff Hatton from Paonia, Colo., with a one of a kind display of wood and bamboo rods tracing the very earliest American made and their makers through more modern 50-60s rods and makers. Jeff's passion and wonderful presentation was simply infectious.

Wyoming member Don Woodhouse had a very neat and probabally one of a kind collection too of just his best 20-25 automatic reels with all very tough ones to get. I especially drooled over his very hard to find second Meisselbach automatic, the new and improved auto fly, one I have never even had the chance to add to my Meisselbach fly reel collection.

John Kastner of Denver had a very beautiful fishing art display, original paintings, watercolors, creels & rods. Way cool.

John and Debbie Ganung had some of their tough, tough reels on display all the way from NY (but John would not let me put him in the display contest). Vom Hofes as big as your head to tiny bi- metal and hard rubber midge fly reels, my favorite.

Gary Carbaugh from Windsor, Colo., (fortunately his house was not one of the many destroyed by the recent tornado that went entirely through the middle of his town), displayed his wonderful collection of Cozzone hard rubber fly reels, mostly boxed. Gary also brought a second dispaly of Colorado made reels, some extremely scarce like his mint boxed never used Hansen reel, very few made.

New Colorado ORCAn member Mark Hughes brought the coolest lure dispaly from his Mur-maid collection to share with us and Mark & Grant Trickle, yes traded MANY lures at our show. Welcome Mark and Grant to ORCA.

Henry Caldwell had his ever growing Kopf NY reel collection with every one he finds seeming to be very or slightly different than the last find.
Thanks Henry for finding a way to get them her to share from Bolton Landing, on the reel "Lake George".

Seems like I am missing someone so please let me know and I will add them. Richard Lodge took pictures of all the diplays so hopefully will get them here from Richard when he and/or others have time..

Oh, one I missed was me. I had all my Meisselbach fly reels on dispaly too as I literally threw together a last minute dispaly. Bill Land.