Month for future Nationals

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
orourke
Super Board Poster

Month for future Nationals

Post by orourke »

I wonder if it was brought up at the business meeting the time of year we tend to hold our nationals?

June is just a horrible month for me to get away as my fiscal year ends in June and I have to close out the current year and get a budget passed for the coming years. I have been able to get to the Michigan Nationals for Friday and Saturday but would dearly love to make one outside my home state. Unfortunately that won't be possible if we keep having them in June.

I know others have said it is tuff to get away when the kids are still in school.

Did this topic come up in conversations? and if so what was the consensus?

Dave "O"
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

OK folks. 47 looks at this post and no one can tell me if the date for future Nationals was discussed? Hey if it was discussed and its going to stay the first part of June so be it. I just want to know.

Anybody out there ... ?

Dave "O"

Post by Guest »

I run in to the same problem. I would like to bring the Wife along but She is also caught up in the fiscal year end delima. June is generally jam packed for us with weddings and graduation parties. Not much time left for fishing or anything else for that matter.

Don
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

I run in to the same problem. I would like to bring the Wife along but She is also caught up in the fiscal year end delima. June is generally jam packed for us with weddings and graduation parties. Not much time left for fishing or anything else for that matter.

Don
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Hi All:

Don emailed me and said the date for Nationals is set by a number of variables. Who is hosting the show, Hotel/room availability, other events happening in the host city and so on...

He did say the 2009 National was to be in the sunshine state of Florida and that is may be earlier, like March or April. I'd probably have to take my second grader out of school for a week to make it a family trip, but I don't think that would bother her at all.

That is the scoop. We'll wait for official announcements.

Dave "O"
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

2000 and 2001 were in Sept. but by then, school starts.

Other than May/June, what month would be good for those that have not been able to make it? I hear there's a lot of cold, white stuff over there on your island that keep the fish from biting for months. So that writes off half the year?

A lot of people say ORCA should have one here where I am but the other half says the skyhigh expenses would thin out the crowd even more. I got a suggestion :idea: : have a convention here, take your pick of any month and then, to cut down on cost... just send the reels! I promise to send photos :lol:
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

We can discuss options....

Post by Richard Lodge »

I agree with you, Brian, June has always been a tough month for me. If you remind me I'll be sure to bring this up at the ORCA board meeting in Florida. I think availability of hotel rooms and show space at a reasonable price is a big driver for when the convention is held. The biggest hurdle is finding a sponsor, of course, and I think the sponsor probably has a big say in when the show will be held each year. If you want to host the 2010 convention in Hawaii I'll be there any month you say! :lol: I hear there aren't really any bad months to be on the islands.
What would be the best month for you to attend an ORCA National?
Anybody else want to weigh in, too?
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

January in Hawaii sounds good to me.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

True Richard, there aren't any bad months, just "not as good" :D Normally, there is no real bad month for me to attend a National as far as seasons go but as it turns out, I do have a graduation to attend next year - late May - so that window is out. Actually, the best time for me is when I find some extra funds lying around :lol:

I thought the club guidelines for hosting a show indicated what months were preferred?