HEY, SHAKE FOLKS..LITTLE HELP!

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
john elder
Star Board Poster

HEY, SHAKE FOLKS..LITTLE HELP!

Post by john elder »

well, I probably should have sent this in for the ugly reel toss, but just had to try and save this old Favorite. As you can see, it's never gonna make 9/9, but it shined up pretty well. But as you can also see, the foot has met some awful fate and the nut holding on the crank is off some old bike or something. Can anyone take pity on this poor lost puppy (and my wallet) and come up with the foot and/or nut? i note also that this crank handle is wood! It's the only one I've got that is...was this standard on this low-end shake or has it been changed out?

before

After (just in case you couldn't tell )

orourke
Super Board Poster

favorite reel

Post by orourke »

John:

Why would you want to fix this reel up? I am not a Shakespeare collector but I don't think this reel restored would be worth much.

It is more interesting as it is. Modified handle and foot. You could start another collection class named "look what they did to keep fishing with this reel"

If you really want a "favorite" let me know and I'll trade you for a Bronson or a Coxe.

Dave
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dave: This looks like a cherry Meek # 3 compared to some I've pulled back from the grave! I have 4 Favorites in nice condition...not looking to make money, just to keep the crustys in the game...many that read this board should be able to appreciate the value of that :D Thanks for the offer, tho. So, you figure the whole handle has been replaced?
what's the likely source of the wood handle?
orourke
Super Board Poster

favorite handle

Post by orourke »

John:

I've been in the club a few years but really only collect Bronson's. I really know almost nothing about how or why reels work. I just like that the Bronson's were made here in my home town. I only get out fishing once or twice a year. So my opinion doesn't hold much water.

Your wood handle doesn't look like the handle on my favorite. Mine is not a counter balanced handle. I believe I saw a nut on the back of the handle holding the knob on your favorite. I haven't seen that kind of attachment in any machined reels I've come across. That is why I think it is not standard equipment.

As far as the design of the handle where it might have originated I do not know.

Dave