Since we're talking about boxes lately....

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Since we're talking about boxes lately....

Post by Jim Madden »

...I thought I'd make a shameless plea. The plastic SB treasure chest display box is from 1951. It did not accompany the cheap 300 or 400, but I believe the #666 reel would have had one. Does anyone have the #666 or any chest box not shown in the pic. There might be a #55 but I doubt it. I'd like to at least know about them if I couldn't buy them outright. The L stand for aluminum spool. And, Travis, welcome back. It'll be great to swap stories with you. Good luck on the Douglas. Jim
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

pic here

Post by Jim Madden »

I hope!
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Plastic boxes??

Post by SWIM JIG »

:shock: :? :lol: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :doh: Jim, those plastic boxes remind me of coffins, must hqave been when South Bend stoped making Quality? when reel backlashed you had a coffin to bury it in? On a serious sode I recall on my (ship) airplane I flew in the mid 50s there was a reel and other hooks, line and a reel with line on it , brown NYLON line the extra line was green on a hand reel. 2 packs of matches, and some sealed meat item all in a aluminum can that had a key that opened it like a coffee can , that reel was a SOUTH BEND and so marked as same. How I wished I had a kit unopened now! The reel looked more like the aluminum Bronson and was a anodized finished! because I had opened it and the Major found out, I got the luxury job of Pulling Targets for the next 30 days, you can wage your best South bend I or no one else in the squadren ever opened anything again when told not too! Col. m. Lorens aka SWIM JIG
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

coffins

Post by Jim Madden »

Milt, I never thought about those looking like coffins, but you're right; the quality took a big dip right after that. The only SB reel that was a natural anodized color in that time frame was the #650. It was last made in 1942, but reels sometimes do get packed away for a long time. It would have been a good one for your collection, but I know you sure had another job to do at that time. Jim
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

If we are going to debate the looks of those boxes between "Treasure Chest" like and the "Coffin" look, I vote for the latter. After all, they did contain a Shakespeare "Trade" reel.
Either way, Great collection Jim,
"H"