Casting Weights

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Casting Weights

Post by Brian F. »

OK, so I've been throwing around my Pflueger Akron on a couple of steel rods to try my hand at the antique tackle casting contest this year. I have decided I should try using the tournament style weights. Considering I've never cast a baitcast reel in my life, it hasn't been bad, maybe one or two backlashes per session and surprisingly, they haven't been catastrophic!

Anyone have those Pflueger casting weights? They were red and white in 5/8 and 3/8 oz sizes (for the non-level wind / level wind and spinning contests). Looking for a couple of each to use. Any help appreciated.

I'm just hoping to get good enough so as not to kill any of the judges.
Last edited by Brian F. on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

casting weight

Post by cws/carl schultz »

brian the level wind &non level wind both use the same weight 5/8oz the 3/8oz is for the spinning reels i have a bunch that i use that are all beat up the nice ones i have saved if you want one will send it to you[glue a little grass skirt on it and you will be all set LOL] carl schultz
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks Carl, I could use a beater just to throw around! Sent you an email.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

casting weights

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D 8) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :type: BRIAN, Carl is a super guy, met him several years ago, however I have a thought, Why dont you contact William A Peters, at () he was and still is one champion caster and so is his daughter, ask Bill what is the best legal weight to use for this as for areodynamics, weather conditions atmospheric conditions ie moist dry ,windy etc, You are comming a long ways and from a heavy SALT WATER air mixture which is much different than FRESH WATER areas. Bill can truly help, and I am certain Carl will agree ! You need to give Bill your rod lenght, amount of eyes, type of eyes ie. metal, glass etc. Your reel modle, type of line or ask Bill for a type. Your reel needs to be 1, Cleaned and re-oiled with a light coating of eithe ZEBCO HOT sauce, or marvel oil, dont over lube it! You will need to polish the eyes in the rod to a smoth finish, if posible use jewlers rouge, the reed kind use cotton swabs or a red jewlers cloth, when it seems good do it over again, If any oxidation is in those guides it will do strange things to your (cast) As for the weights, some have dimples, some are smoth, some have a corse design in them ,again Bill Or CARL are real pros at this, One of your strongest competitors most likly will be DAN Basore, he is a field testor for Shiamano and goes all over the world fishing, he dont like to lose, a nice guy, however gets a lot of casting in! Ok Brian thats the best help I can offer , bring that championship bact to the ISLAND with you, make em work this year Your Ohio Conection Col. Milton Lorens aka SWIM JIG PS if you need a new pawl and level wind worm and line guide advise I will send you a set. No Charge!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks Milt, but I have to learn to walk before thinking about running! I just hope to get the weight into the casting venue, then I'll take up the fine tuning tips.
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

extra points

Post by cws/carl schultz »

hey brian if you can deck a judge its extra points[LOL]
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

I know it's not dodgeball but....

Post by Brian F. »

I was a volunteer judge last year so I'm sure everyone would like me to return the favor in not clocking anyone with my 5/8!