Paypal not accepted

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Tony Malatesta

Paypal not accepted

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Why is it that so many sellers don't accept Paypal? As a business owner i to have to pay a fee to the major credit companies. This is a fact of life if i wish to do business. It is also fast and secure. For me to bid on a item that doesn't accept Paypal i have to go to the bank, line up for half an hour, and then pay a $6.00 service fee to get a bank draft, this is on top of the shipping costs. then of course i have to wait for the cheque to be delivered and then clear. Very inefficient ,time consuming and defeats the purpose of buying and paying from the comfort of my home. I also have a bone to pick with sellers who refuse to ship internationally( including
Alaska and Hawai?) We pay for the extra shipping don't we? Sellers?
P.S. Sorry for the rant and rave. :x
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Previous discussion

Post by Brian F. »

Tony,
Try this related thread where we had a similar discussion: http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... ght=paypal
Thanks for sticking up for AK and HI. For some reason, a lot of people still don't think we're part of the United States :shock: ! I hate to remind sellers that there are 50 stars on old glory. :oops: I'll admit USPS Priority to HI is a hair more because mail gets a first class seat on the 747s over here. :wink:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Tony: the reason I hate PayPal is the same reason that you point out you have to accept credit cards...we've been manipulated to the point that the credit card Co.s have wedged their way into out wallets so that we virtually can't extract them. That happened without us even realizing it til it was too late. PayPal is in real time and we can still keep them from taking a piece of our action. I admit that it is certainly simpler to just push the button and let them suck money off our credit cards...gee, look who else gets to make money! You may pay your bills off pre-interest, but lots of folks don't...so that "free" ride you got off PayPal will cost a lot of folks quite a bit, at 21% interest...and further encourage the insanity. Frankly, I only had to get a cashier's check or MO twice last year, since virtually all the sellers I deal with (myself included) are happy with a personal check, given a clean feedback record ( and sometimes NFLCC/ORCA affiliations). I just refuse to admit that Pay-whatever even exists and I'll take the lost sales. Hey, you want rant? I'll give you rant! :x
reelsmith.

Post by reelsmith. »

I have a friend that sold a Rolex watch on eBay. The buyer used PayPal. When the buyer got the watch he told PayPal it was fake and that he wanted his money back. PayPal took the money out of my friend's account and sent it back to the buyer... and the buyer got to keep the watch! My friend was out his authentic Rolex and $2250 !

PayPal can reach into your account and take money whenever they please.

I agree, PayPal is darned convienent, I use it myself, when buying. But, as a seller I do not accept it.

And guys... don't buy your Money Orders at the Bank. They are only a buck at the Post Office and at Western Union. Check around, every town has a few Western Unions, they are usually in convenience stores.

Dean.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Pay-Pal is an E-bay scam! They charge you for listing then they charge over and above the credit card interest rate to pay. When Pay-Pal was a private company and before E-bay bought it, they charged my account twice for an $89.10 purchase. It took me three months to get my money back and they only paid the seller once. Both Myself and the seller contacted them numorus time and finally got some satifaction. When I ask them to reinburst me for interest on my money they kept for three months, I never got a reply. As for Hawaii, I won't consider it a state till they build a bridge! (Just kiddin', Brian!)
Another pet peeve, personal checks. My bank credits my account with a check I deposit before I get to the front door. Sure they charge me $36.00 if it bounces but I can cause you a lot more trouble for writing me a bad check that the $36.00. I would bet a dollar that 95% of those that won't except a personal check pay some of their bills that way. Can't you see them now if the phone company only excepted a Money Order or some other way of secured payment? No offence to Tony because I understand where he is coming from but it tickled me to read that it is much easier to do things from the confort of your own home. Isn't that called a couch patato? Heck I would like to do everything from the comforts of my home too but they won't come fill my truck up with gas, deliver my food stock and my doctor don't make house calls. Get out and get some fresh air! Fight the traffic, cuss out other drivers, run over some pedestrains and maybe a few bicycles. It does a body good!
My thoughts and I am sticking to them.
"H"
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

pay pal

Post by cws/carl schultz »

i also use pay pal but i went to the trouble of getting it linked to my checking account and even though its all electronic still takes a few days to clear[when i first started using this feature check was instantanious] and i will admit that taking pay pal has influenced my buying i can pay with in minutes of the auction ending and no later credit bill if i dont have the cash in the bank i dont bid also with a moneyorder and a stamp save a 1.50 or so which after 3-400 puchases is a chunk of money i have no sympathy for some of the sellers with the inflated shipping and handling maybe i should but i dont sell on ebay i only sell on this site and at shows and sometimes i may sit on stuff for 6mos or more but this is a hobby those who wish to make a living on ebay better realize that its not a captive market there actually are people that i deal with at shows that dont have a computer plus shows are FUN will be at a show next month in ohio that len and i will have tables at come see us for room trading on feb 18 at the RAMADA INN ----MONTPELLER OHIO----13508 co.rd.15---1-800-851-8300----show feb 19---contact larry oyer for show info and table availability---also any particular reel you may be intrested in between len and i we have parts reels to kentuckys----indianas to spinning and and lot inbetween also rods glass,bamboo,metal /casting,fly etc--for michigan people montpeller is close enough to the border that it shows up on the mich state map[ AND IM HOPING TO SEE YOU UNCLE MILTY LOL] so ok thats letting off steam and a commercial hope to see some of you there-----carl schultz
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

After many years of selling and buying on eBay, we started using PayPal about a year ago. However, we opened a new checking account to be used only for PalPal transactions. PalPal can reach into this bank account, but we only keep enough money in it to buy what we want on eBay. When we sell stuff and the account grows, we just write a check to ourself and remove most of the money. The use of PalPal has increased my on line sales of my fishing and hunting books, and my Reel Booklets by a great deal. No problems so far.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

PP

Post by Jim Madden »

John and Harvey, well said! I agree completely. You guys have rendered me speechless which is no easy task. A man's personal check is as close as I can get to a handshake over the deal, and there ain't a reel out there that would make me sign up for PP - not even the ones below. (Well, I was almost speechless.) Jim
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I sometimes use Paypal when buying reels, but never when selling. The reason for this is that I don't sell very many reels on e-bay and it is just not worth it. However, if I know I am selling to an ORCA member I will accept a personal check and mail the reel the same day, no waiting.
fish2458

Ebay

Post by fish2458 »

The sellers that don"t ship international, Canada, lose out on many buyers and cut out that top bid for what? The customs sticker is simple and the extra postal cost are covered by the buyer. The USPS rates are cheaper than Canada post and are reflected in my final bid. Feedback is slow from this end as it takes as long as three weeks from mailing to recieve the parcel. All customs charges are the buyers responsiblity. What am I missing?
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Canadian, et al shipping.... to Paypal or not to Paypal...

Post by el Lawrence »

I don't understand those that won't ship to other countries... I have opened my own sales up to Japan (I use to think the customs forms and exchange rate would be more complex than to Canada or the UK who I would ship to but I was wrong)... my recent Japanese buyer was very nice, paid fast and had already reserched all the shipping options for me. What a guy... then he asked how to join ORCA! I hope he found the link here and did...

I have never had a problem shipping to Canada and frequently ship there. I have even accepted shipment for a friend who wanted to bid an ebay "won't ship to Canada" item and forwarded the same across the border for my fellow ORCA memeber... had a friend in the UK do the same for me once... always more than one way to skin a cat...

As for Paypal... one less errand in the day for me is great... I can pay fast or be paid fast and both the buyer and seller are happy, items are mailed faster and I don't mind the fees... I run my cash through an account similar to Reel Geezer... a paypal dedicated that just funnels the cash elsewhere. Anyone getting into the account can't clean me out...

I have however had a sizeable MO of mine take forever to arrive at a impatient seller and had a MO arrive nearly a month later to me for a sale... both were a pain in the lower back for me and the other party... cancelling MOs, getting and sending replacements...

Now I am fine with taking any form of payment (except livestock without approval first) from ORCA folks I know, or sending reels before it arrives... Geez I suspect enough FREE reels are passed between our members to sink a battle ship... And I have seen plenty of "Oh we have to buy this because so-and-so needs it for his collection or is looking for it..." going on too... most ORCA folk have big hearts. :P
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Free Reels

Post by Teal »

El,

You are certainly right about the number of free reels floating between ORCA members, although I suspect half of them come from Harvey. Case in point--won the Sunset Line & Twine Co. Featherwate reel from the Katrina Auction that Harvey donated. When I got the reel I emailed Harvey about information and background, a few days later a package arrives with a Castey reel (same reel as the Featherwate), all of the research he had accumulated on the companies involved with it, and a CD full of pictures of not just the Sunset-type reels but an awesome collection of Shakespeare reels as well. Amazing.

Of course it may have been a ploy on Harvey's part to deny 90 freshman students their essays on Plato's Symposium, which were most definitely NOT graded last night as I spent most of the evening looking at pictures of fishing reels. My wife thinks I have gone insane. A direct quote: "Its not enough for you to have fishing reels lying all over the house, now you have to stare at pictures of fishing reels all night?"

Harvey, what a guy!

Cheers,

Dr. Todd E.A. Larson

P.S. Tony, I mailed out the reels Air Mail so they should arrive soon.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Nine months after I posted originally in this thread, I pose the question as to why anyone doesn't use paypal? I have concluded hundreds of sales and purchases since joining PayPal and have had no problems, only increased sales and easier purchases. Overseas sales and purchases are a breeze. Most of my eBay auctions are now concluded within 72 hours rather than one to two weeks. The Cardinal 7 spinning reel I sold Sunday is already on its way to Italy, having been paid for on Monday and shipped Tuesday.

As to credit cards filling your wallet (John Elder post) we got a Cabela's credit card about a year ago, and have switched to using it for all our credit business. You earn points applicable to Cabela's purchases as you charge. When traveling to Texas this May, and the NFLCC National in July we earned enough points that when I ordered a new fishing rod from Cabela's yesterday - it was free, with some points still left over. In today's society you need a credit card - if you like shopping at Cabela's you might look into their card.

I think I'll go look at Cabela's web site and find a reel to match my new rod... :lol:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

And just yesterday, I saw a report on the news where a large percentage of HIGH SCHOOL kids had their own credit cards...and only an average of $1000 in credit card debt in the first year.

that prepares them for college, where the average freshman, armed with his new credit card, only runs up $3k of debt in the first year...gee, at 21% interest or so, Cabellas could probably make up for handing out quite a few of those rods :D

So, yes...if you are not like over half the populace and have some degree of fiscal responsibility...and I'm sure you fall into that category, Phil...then go get the bennies from that card! In fact, I need to either get that one or something that gives me miles, since I rack up an average of $600-800 per month on gas and other crap (all paid monthly with no interest) on my MC and the only benefit i get is a chance to use those Bonus $ to buy Carnie junk that is worth less than the postage they want to send it to you!

PayPal? Yes, they have won.
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Everyone is right, but since you can't even rent a car these days without a credit card as identification you are forced to get one and use it. Cash is still king and always will be but the increasingly use of electronics to do just about everything ensures the constant use of plastic in everyday commerce. Ces't la vie! :bricks: Canadian
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Phil, is it still standard that Paypal will not give a "confirmed" address to non-US members. I was initially concerned about that when I sold something to an Australian customer a while back. But then again, :oops: my address is not confirmed either because I don't use my billing address and I've never run into a problem.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Phil's idea of a Cabela's card is a very good one. I have had one since 1996 and have earned a lot of dollars from the points. Mine is a low interest card but I pay it off every month. I charge everything to it just to get the points. It is like money in the bank plus, it is easier to keep track of my expences using just one card. I usually don't use the points for myself but instead save them and buy X-Mas presents for the kids with them. Last year, I sent them cloths, bedding, shoes and a lot of nic-nacs to the tune of $600.00+ and it never cost me a dime. I used to use a BP gas card and earned money for the purchases on it. When you earned $25.00 in awards, they would send me a card for free gas. They changed to offering me, like John said, Carnie junk where the shipping is more then the junk is worth. I cut up the card and sent it back with my final payment. Cabela's is the best deal.
"H"
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Hi Brian! I'll answer your question. It is still standard practice by Paypal to not confirm non US addresses unless you've completed dozens and dozens of transactions. Strange since they have to confirm everything to register your credit card Stranger still that Ebay the parent company of Paypal was founded and is still owned by a Canadian. In any case,as you said, no problems regardless. Canadian
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Post by el Lawrence »

Geez we are racking up those frequent emoticons points for spelling the word C a n a d i a n today arn't we? :wink:
You know Lauren Green from Bonanza was Canadian too... :lol: lol lol
:D

Brian, here is what I do when I feel any uneasy about the address being non verified or the buyer not wanting insurance on a more expensive item... etc. etc. I spring for the few cents for delivery confirmation from the post office. Haven't had any trouble yet using PayPal, or shipping to unconfirmed, or out of the US (even to Alaska or HI :lol: ).

And I think a Cabelas card sounds great... though I use Amex for quite a lot too and have had little trouble having it accepted by most establishments.

John, The PARENTS (as in parental supervision-not) of these kids should have their heads examined. Not knowing your kids' business is just foolish...
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It's probably more Monkey see, Monkey do, El...I imagine mom and dad have balances of their own to deal with...but of course I'm sure that we totally buck the stats and absolutely NO ONE that reads this board is carrying any 14%+ money...right!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Being a poor (dollar-wise) dog trainer, licensed guide, fishing tackle manufacturer and trapshooting cashier, I never owned, or wanted, a credit card. In the 1980s, when we started traveling to tackle and gun shows, we learned that you need a credit card to secure motel reservations . I only used it for that purpose for many years, dealing only with cash. When Cabela's came up with their points program we secured a card and now, like Harvey, we charge everything on that card and pay it off every month. One statement with all expenses on it and a new rod or reel every six months or so. Not too bad a deal.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Is there an annual fee for the Cabellas card? I've looked into others that give miles and there is generally been a fee or one soon to come. Obviously, ponying up 25 a year is still a deal if you are harvesting 600!
Rubber Reel Lady
Frequent Board Poster

Cabela's VISA

Post by Rubber Reel Lady »

There is no annual charge for the Cabela's card. I refuse to pay anyone to use their card. There are plenty of cards available from reputable companies that do not charge for their card. I used to get those lame offers of address books, calendars, nose hair clippers etc. from a previous card. All "Free" for just $5.95 postage. Most of them available from any good "$1.00 Store". :wink:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Let's get back to the subject! In my Jan. posting above I had recently started using Pay Pal on an experimental basis. Then They accessed my checking account without asking me or contacting me before hand. Since then I have not used their services nor Will I ever use them again. So much for trust!
Don Champion