Lures for Antique Tackle Contest

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Lures for Antique Tackle Contest

Post by Brian F. »

So I had some of these Bass Orenos, a Babe Oreno and a Pflueger Wizard lying around and planned to bring them to fish with in Houston. Please let me know, anyone, if I'm better off leaving them home and alone (for whatever reason: too big, etc.) before I change some hooks, clean off some rust, etc.

You all know I'm a rookie so I'm looking for weedless spinners to use (and very likely lose!) so not looking for anything that should be in a display case. I'd like to add some Hawaiian Wigglers (of course) and am interested in more Babe Orenos.

And to make this legit: Looking for more of these too.

Last edited by Brian F. on Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

Brian,
I would say that blue and white has some value on it. It might pay for your room for a night if listed on Joes.
Also, on those reels, I don't think they make them anymore! Ha ha Ha !
And on the two lower baits, if you show up with them, they are plastic, aren't they?,the directors will fitch a pit.
"H"
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, Brian...send me the blue and white one and I'll send you all the Hawaiian wigglers you can eat!
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

lures to lose??

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) 8) :shock: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :type: Brian, you find me a reel or so, some odd ball I have lures I bought new over 60 years ago, ie. flat fish, HI. Dancers, other wooden and metal lures, have some PAW PAWs pflugers, Shakesperes, and so forth, I am not a lure colector I only use them, Yes the board ruled out (palstics) however metal I belive is still allowed as is wood. I will not be going to the nationals as its too early in the year for us, Ryan is still in school, and FROOGY JIG does like the Nationals, its his last year so he should graduate in JUNE Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG in a very cold OHIO!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Lures

Post by Brian F. »

Milt,
Thanks for the help. "Lures to lose"? Well, that won't be my objective but knowing what it's like to start from scratch, it'll be likely so I don't need anything brand new. I'll see what I have.
Tom E.
Frequent Board Poster

Lures for Texas

Post by Tom E. »

Brian, You're on the right track. Lake is clear with some green stuff i.e. moss. We've scheduled contest to start around daybreak, with the hope that we'll get a good topwater bite. So the Lucky 13's are on target for that part. Poppers are good too. Small spinners should be good. No beetle spins Milt - too new! I'd have a wooden jitterbug available to just for fun and to hear the chug chug. Don't forget a black mouse. Have at least one weedless bait. No worms Milt - too new.

Less than 3 months. Get those reservations made.

Tom
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

YIEKS??

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :shock: 8) :roll: :!: :?: :idea: Tom, I wouldnt have a betlle spin in the box, as for worms? Frank krill of vermilion ohio made one in 1923 however I dont belive I would toss that one! I belive I know the rules! as i have fished two nationals and was not Crucified for wrong lures, Ok nuf on that , Brian is it posible that green stuff only shows at night? Uranium GLOW!? Dont wory If I send you lures like wooden Mice, red a white south bends etc, May send you some that will raise the lake leavel a foot or 2 , Flat fish allowed wood only? Got a bunch of old pfluger soinners pre 1920 era, and some pld dusty glass eyed pal o mines, several hundred Paw paw cork frog popers, in 3 different sizes, is the TIn LIZ allowed? brian let me look orund at mikes show in April, And not to bust the ballon , plastic or I shoud sat acitate lures were made pre 1924! You cannot use them in Ohio as they are considerd a bad chemecal to put in OHIO waters How about a 1916 PIGERINO have 3 brand new in the boxes! anyway If I donts gots it mike wohlever does gots it! Also got some TENN. fishing sticks, light fuse and drop! and some TENN depth lures, let into water go to the depth you want a jerk hard , reel in save the pin and dip up the fish! darn I wish I could fish in this glorified TEXAS TANK! however a school graduation takes a first seat with us this year! Brian the secret in Texas is those bass like TENN bass like snakes or large bugs so find a nice black colored (DING BAT1936 era with glass eyes or if metal eyes remove them and replace with reflective glass beads, get those at pat Catans craft stores, NOW GO FISH P.S. PORK RINE still allowed , if not Carl will be LOST Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG in 44 degree OHIO or
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

On my way

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks Milt, I'll have to take inventory of what I have so I'll let you know specifically if I need something in particular. Got some help from John E. and a nice lady (NFLCC member) who relocated here from Boston (sorry, Richard, I asked but guess she didn't read your paper :oops: ) She was selling all her lures on ebay and I got the tail end of her stuff. :wink: Which was ok with me since they were going to be fished with.

Thanks Tom, I'm putting together a little tackle box along the lines of what you mention with some spinners too. Trying to scale down a little in size of lure. The bigger lures above will stay in the box unless there are some real "islands" roaming around in the lake! Oh by the way, the blue headed one will not be used to fish with as it's found a new home at the Elder's :) .
Tom E.
Frequent Board Poster

More on that Glorified Texas Tank

Post by Tom E. »

Milt sorry to hear you are going to miss the fun. The glorified Texas Tank was a good one. Here's a quiz for you Yankees. What's the difference between a pond and a tank?

The trick on this lake is to mask the lure so the bass can't be sure what it is. Thus, smaller is often better. Green is a good color (isn't it everywhere?) and white (bone) topwaters. Flashy good, but again with muted colors.

It's 71 degrees here in Houston. Spring has sprung.

See you in May; by the way the Hawaii kid, Brian F. is going to give us a demonstration on how to cast those big head Hawaiian reels.

Texas Tom
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

YANKEE???

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :) :o 8) :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: Look here you young wippersnaper I was born so far south that anything above the SOUT POLE is yankee to me, A tank is TEXAS nice way of sayin its actual a place for cows and horses to wash their feet!ha ho! a pond as we call them IN TENN is a clean water holding area that we keep 8 to 17 pound bass in to we can then go to a big place or LAKE and use the 8to 17 lb bass for bait to catch nice STRIPERS! 45to 71 lbs! Also those Texas tanks hold a lot or different types of snakes all harmful to the human mind! ha ah ha , No I cant make it as RYAN the frogy jig is suposed to graduate this year! Also I will miss wrestling those CROCAGATORS, a aligator head at one end and a croacagater head at the other end! You folks can send some pics! I do hope to make a 2006 national I already have the inside scoop on that was told at todays REEL SHOW, now thats another story! Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG in 27 degree temp and NO SNOW !
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

The Arsenal

Post by Brian F. »

Well Tom, by now, I think I have maybe too much to try, including a couple of froggy colored things. I may be changing lures every other cast. Now, that's maybe getting a little ahead of myself because, I'm assuming the lure actually hits the water!

It's been oh, almost 15 years since I tried casting those heavy metal spool things but I took it for a test drive last weekend. Everything seemed to go well (but that doesn't mean very far) :oops: . I guess it's like riding a bike, once you learn you don't really forget. With a 9 oz. sinker yanking out 80 lb test, I'm amazed I didn't throw my back out :) . I plan to borrow one of Lou's 12 foot shark rods (or maybe he uses it for catfish) but I think it's got a softer action than I'm used to. In a pinch, all you'll need to find me is some 1" dia. galvanized pipe and I'll tape some guides on and hose clamp the reel to it. :wink: