wanted Colgrove reel

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Bonnie Chase

wanted Colgrove reel

Post by Bonnie Chase »

I looking for a Colgrove reel for Steelhead fishing. I used one in the 70's and am soon to retire and want to fish again.
Can anyone help me find one?
Thanks,
Bonnie
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

which style are you looking for

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) 8) :!: :?: :idea: They make several different ones of these, as for steel head we have them on lake erie, and I dont want one of those silver torpedos on the end of any of my Colgroves And I have some decent sized ones. You can email me at( ) I like to trade reels , Col. milton lorens the OHIO conection aka SWIM JIG
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I might mention that the Colgrove Reel is on the cover of the upcoming issue of The Reel News, accompanied by an article about Bob Colgrove, his reel, and his world record steelhead. The issue will be mailed Monday.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

that well could be!!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :o :shock: :roll: :wink: :!: :idea: Phil, even a blind squirel will find a few nuts to eat! The guys around these parts find these (silver torpedos a wee bit of a chalange even for excelent tackle! I have seen these things break water 100 yrds back 2 to 3 times before they start to bend the rods! There are two fish I have yet to catch on a (regular FLY ROD,ie a Silver Torpedo and a MUSKY! I word this as freshwater fish, I have caught a 18 lb stripe that I fought for over 2 hrs to get it to the net! and it only weighed 18 lbs, however I dont use large Fly rods, You have seen what I use at the contest! As i said i can trade a colgrove for a reel more suited to my use! LOOKING forward to the issue, and Our new columnest will be in the may issue! Your OHIO conection with the ice about gone! Col. milton lorens aka SWIM JIG
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Milt: Colgrove's Steelhead weighed 19 pounds, 15 ounces. It was a world record for 4 pound test line. He caught many large steelhead on light line back in the 1950s. As I mention in the article, the Colgrove reel still has a cult type following in the Northwest.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

reel on its way!!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:D :o 8) :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: Well as She is going fishing on the 7th of March, the COLGROVEwas shipped out this date Priority mail sooooo it most likly be there in time for the BIG DAY! Still think these are a bit light for silver torpedos ie Steel head fish, HMMM we will see as I asked her to send me a pic with the fish and reel! Now I am not a non beliver however when the pic gets here I will enjoy showing the Charter Guys tha a woeman caught hers om in my thoughts a toy reel! These guys wll never get over it! Ok people lets hope for her to catch a record fish! Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG in a snowed over OHIO and dogone COLDDDD! brr!
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

wow now I know whats wrong!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :o :shock: :? 8) :oops: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: Ok PHIL, heck that thing wasent designed to be used as a FLY REEL! hmmm and I wonder if that lady will not only think i am nuts she will know it, hey had you done that artical 10 years ago well insted of fly line I would have loaded it with 30 lb POWER PRO LINE ! lets hope she dont use that foward taper floating line I left on it! And mine was a BLAVK ONE, maybee I could have painted it my favorite color (BLUE?) ok I dont own it anymore ! Your frozen OHIO acumulator of reels COL. Milton LORENS aka SWIM JIG
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's one that showed up on ebay this weekend
broken ... 7140349594
note that this reel has been painted.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

nice item?

Post by SWIM JIG »

:) :o :? :wink: :!: :?: :idea: Ron, acording to our ORCA mag and the artical they came in, BLUE and Black , I alwys thought they were FLY REELS, so I loaded mine with 5wt dbl taper floating line, it worked quite well for years, now I sold it and then the article came out, they are a spinnig reel! I am alwys doing dumb things however if I get another one it will be used as aFLY REEL! No line tangles when fishing! ha ha . Your Ohio conection Col. M. Lorens aka SWIM JIG