Leonard Mills Style reel UNMARKED (that I can find)...

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Leonard Mills Style reel UNMARKED (that I can find)...

Post by el Lawrence »

Ok I am considering selling what I think is a Leonard Mills reel (raised pillar, HR side fly reel) to fund my travel to NATIONALS that has no markings that I can find. I have NOT opened the reel up as I do not want to foul the screws or anything. I'm not particularly familiar with this type reel where is the best place for me to sell it and what should it bring?

Yeah laugh it up... Pflueger I know, Irish 1800 I know but these... I'm not even sure I know how to work one of these (I can't figure out what the button and adjustment knob marked "heavy" and "light" are about)...

SO HELP ME! If it will fetch a good price I plan to sell this one...

L. Lawrence...
reels4me

Leonard-Mills ?

Post by reels4me »

L= Light drag---H=Heavy, could you show me pics. both sides and bottom?--I might finance your trip--Jack, I hope your not hiring a private
plane.
reelsmith.

Post by reelsmith. »

I am assuming it is 3 1/2" in diameter?

Aluminum frame and spool?

Nickel silver foot, handle and pillars?

Counterbalanced handle with black hard rubber knob?

Has a small hole in the foot?

Nope, never seen it.

:-)

It sounds like a Leonard-Mills Model 51AD to me.

I've seen this reel referred to as the Mills "Heavy Trout - Light Salmon Reel" and also as the "Dry Fly Salmon Reel".

When you press the button the sliding cap that sits on top of the knurled disc adjusts the drag from "heavy" to "light".

Dean.

Working on that ebay listing now....

Post by Guest »

Jack- three holes in the foot, bakelite area of side plate is 2 3/4 in diameter, inside pillar is 1 1/8.

I plan to drive to Nationals so no plane (but a two seater sports car would be great... or even a snappy Mini Cooper that would be good on gas... :lol: )

Dean- Thanks for the tutorial on how that drag works, I really didn't want to monkey with it too much trying to find out and end up messing it up.

Thanks Andy for the additional information we talked about on the phone... I am working on that ebay listing now...

I think it is a nice reel and would like to see this one go to a good home and someone that is into Leonard Mills stuff. For me... well, it isn't a Pflueger or Irish made reel so I reel-y haven't bonded with it...
reelsmith.

Post by reelsmith. »

Three holes makes it the early one.

Nice find.

Dean.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

El, I live nearby, I'd love to see the reel.
Ron Mc
reels4me

Leon.-Mills

Post by reels4me »

Lor.--I have one that is about 2 1/2" Diam. single hole in foot (JVH) I bid
on it (E-Bay) about 2 yrs. ago and paid just into the 4 figure amount, so
by auction you COULD fly to Hobby, see you there !--Jack
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Post by el Lawrence »

OK it is up but I see I didn't get the back plate photo on there (anyone know how to add that? Otherwise I will email the photo to anyone that wants) the listing number is: #7147682323 - Leonard Mills style fly reel... bid high and bid often... :wink:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

what a beauty

putting in a photo? Keep the maximum width below 600 pixels, and verify that the file size is less than 64kb (right click on properties). If it's not, open it with a program like PhotoImpact and save it at a lower bit size (75% quality, 60% quality?). Then go through [removed] and copy the link that gives you.
paste that link in your post, highlight it (left click) and hit Img

You may also be able to simply copy the photo link that you put in your ebay listing, paste it on the thread, highlight it and hit Img
Good luck
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

A try at photo posting...

Post by el Lawrence »

Ok here is my try at posting a photo...
Bear in mind I am working with a Mac and Mac software here not IBM/Microsoft...

Ok see if that works...
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

A little editing

Post by Brian F. »

eL,

You needed to have the [img]and[/img] around the image url so I just added it for you. Just highlight the url that you type in and hit the little Img button on the post screen above the typing area. That should put in the right "code" to make your photo appear. (I just learned this yesterday :oops: )

Beeyootiful reel!
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Eureka! (not the reel)

Post by el Lawrence »

Thanks for the assist there Brian... that wasn't too bad.
Now if some of ya'll will just get to bidding on it
I'll be a happy camper. ('jump')
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

L.L where you been?

Post by cws/carl schultz »

havent seen your post in a long time need some estrogen to tone down this bunch of whacked out testosterone reel junkies
Phantom Fisher
Advanced Board Poster

Hey, Carl ...

Post by Phantom Fisher »

... trust me, estrogen is not the solution.
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

and another returns

Post by cws/carl schultz »

laurie and another returns havent seen your post in awhile either between you and LL maybe you can beat some sence into this bunch and estrogen or lack of or what ever and i get out of the way when my wife goes by and we have 3 cats 2 males 1 female 1st male twice the size of female 2nd male twice his size then all of a sudden a black streak[biggest male]an orange streak[2nd biggest male] being chased by this litte grey streak[guess who] funneiest thing you ever seen and i know my place in the pecking order [right behind len] and now one from the rubber reel lady and all are accounted for course phil will have to get her off pogo and also since someone may say this is a reel board will start a new thread with what i wish would show up at the nationals[reel wise]
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Wow! Lorraine, I see your fly reel is taking off, and the heaviest hitters often don't bid until closing. Or, as they say here in the piney woods, the big coons don't show 'til midnight!

When all's said and done you might get to come to W. Columbia via private jet. Good luck!

Robyn
reels4me,member

MINI-COOPER

Post by reels4me,member »

I hope you pick a color I`ll look good in. Congrats.--Jack I think it
might hit 1,500.