Bronson and Coxe reel print blocks

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Bronson and Coxe reel print blocks

Post by Jim Madden »

I was at an antique mall today where I saw a dozen+ of the B/C print blocks. They were $30 each at 40% off. I can get the booth number and the number of the mall if anyone wants to make their best deal for all of them. I'm sure the owner would do so. Would be glad to help. Jim
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Jim:

Where is antique mall? If somewhere close to Angola or Auburn, I may check out those print blocks. Plan on being in Bronson on Monday, Aug 15 to visit with Butch Borgert. Need to get a few Bronson/Coxe reel parts repaired. He also has a large number of schematics, and may get copies of a few specials.

Then on Wed, I plan to go to Shipshewana to see how this multi auction is operated. Been there once before, and was astounded watching and listening to 7 different auctioneers operate at the same time in the same barn! Wasn't good for fishing stuff, but all those bull horns at the same time create an unforgetable atmosphere. May even find a reel in the Flea Market outside.

Thanks in advance. Dale.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Blocks

Post by Jim Madden »

Dale, check your email. Jim
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Shipshewana

Post by Jim Madden »

Dale, Niles isn't far from Bronson at all. Take Route 12 from Bronson - It's a beautiful drive. (80/90 may be faster). It's probably worth the stop. Take 80/90 back to Shipshewana to complete the circle. As you know, Shipy is in the heart of Amish country. You'll hear Pennsylvania Dutch as much as English there, but I've hit some decent reels at those auctions in the past. It is a step into the past. Sounds like a good trip. If you have time, give me a call. I'm only 15 minutes from that antique mall. Jim
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Jim, Thanks for email & directions. If I get to Niles, I'll surely give you a call. Thanks again. Dale.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Dale:

After you are done talking to Butch come in and see me at City Hall. I've got about fifty Bronson or Coxe reels in the office would love to show them off.

Dave
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Dale:

Print out Jim's note on the printers blocks and show Butch. He has some and may beat the deal.

Dave
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Dave,
Great idea! Thanks for the invite. May I bring my new camera? Expect to be in Angola Sun evening, and in Bronson Monday Aug 15. Want to see your special Bronson reels. I am in process of selecting the Top Ten Bronsons (Baitcasters only). Bet you have some candidates.
Dale.
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

Anyone know how to take print blocks and get decent prints from them? I must have a couple of hundred fishing and hunting related print blocks. When I have tried to print them using the ink for normal ink stamps, I often get very uneven printing, and sometimes it runs so bad you can't tell what you have printed.

I would like to take some of my print blocks, print them, then frame the block and prints in the frame.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I think the trick is having a real printing press to go with the block. That way you use the thinnest wetting layer of ink and get good contact on the paper.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

As an ex-letter press operator, printing with the printing
blocks are not an easy task. First, pressure! You can not
put enough pressure on the block by hand to get a good
image. The image must make an impression into the
paper and not just lay the ink on top. The ink it's self
is very thick opposed to the ink that you use in you
printer, stamps pads, ink pens, etc. There is also
Arabic Gum added to the ink to make it even heavier
and make it stick to the paper.
Secondly, time. I still have the use of an old Miller
two color letter press which I, from time to time,
help the owner print menu’s on heavy parchment
paper. Just setting up the press and packing the
cylinders for a proper print job takes hours and
then we only run a limited amount of copies. Doing
this by hand is almost impossible. Sometimes each
letter or a very small area must be built up with
packing so the same amount of pressure is applied
to the image through out. My suggestion on getting
a good image of your blocks is to photograph them
and then print a reverse image for display .
Hope this helps.
“H”
Here are a couple examples:
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Dale:

Bring your camera! I'm not sure I have anything truly exceptional but you are welcome to take picture of any reel I have. Looking forward to it!

Dave O'Rourke