Off topic: surgical tubing for lure hooks

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Off topic: surgical tubing for lure hooks

Post by Mike N »

I want to put surgical tubing cut to length on my lure treble hooks to prevent the hooks from sticking me and/or scratching the wood lure bodies.

Question - when I order the surgical tubing in bulk on Amazon do I want the inside diameter to be 1/8” or 1/4” or ...? Any closet lure collectors on this site? Thanks.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Off topic: surgical tubing for lure hooks

Post by John Savu »

Mike, The best advice I can give you is donot use any kind of tubing on your lures. Hook rust and paint reaction to the tubing can ruin a good lure. If you feel some type of protection is needed, buy the cheap version of Q-Tips with the hollow shaft. Cut them off to length on the swab end and slide them onto the bend of the hook. The swab end will protect the lure and other lures from the hook points. NO TUBING ! John
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, John!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Been using Clear tubing as well as window screen black ,gray retainer cord for over thirty years and NEVER had problems . Maybe a Regional meteorological discrepancy.
Maybe need to use some 3M Wet Type Spray Silicone on the hooks before covering them with tubing
That stuff has nearly the same propensities as Holy Water as far as preservation is concerned.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Harry. Good idea. A little 3M spray never hurts. My dad, who would have turned 100 this month, was a WD-40 guy on everything but sandwiches.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Mike N wrote:Thanks, Harry. Good idea. A little 3M spray never hurts. My dad, who would have turned 100 this month, was a WD-40 guy on everything but sandwiches.

Mike N
The inventor of WD 40 who Recently passed on to that Big Ol Rust Bucket in the Sky once stated you could ingest it as it had nothing harmful in it ??????

I have been using the 3M WET TYPE Silicone in my business since 1969 and it has NEVER Failed to protect my rubber parts,Vinyl,plastic, upholstery, reels , motors, ignition parts.
If you want something to Crack use Armor Haul on it .
Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Cuttyhunker »

There is a corrosive phenomenon called closed crevice corrosion. If the tubing is so tight on the hook, even stainless, that it cannot breathe (on a molecular level) and the crevice becomes deoxygenated there will be rot. I've used little tubes made from cut up corrugated cardboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crevice_corrosion
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Suffice it say all things will eventually give way to decay of some aspect however prolonging this inevitability is and always will be an ongoing attempt no matter how futile .
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Best solution-Collect only reels.

Bad Bob