Pflueger Medalist 1396-1496 ca. 1937 SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Pflueger Medalist 1396-1496 ca. 1937 SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Post by Ray Hencken »

From what I have been able to learn, in 1937 the Pflueger Medalists had a dual click for the first time and the 1396 model was dropped from production. Prior to 1937 they had a single click. I believe that this Medalist started out as a 1396 with a single click pawl, was to be converted to a 1496 with a double click and was stamped for a Diamolite Line Guard but the guard was never installed. The evidence for my conclusion is that the #3 in 1396 is overstamped with a #4, the bottom rivet securing the second click pawl is different and located slightly closer to the reel shaft, and there are holes for the line guard and stamping but no line guard is present with no evidence that one was ever installed.
The reel has the "Satin Gun Metal" finish found on the earliest Medalists and shows little wear to the frame. It is stamped "Patent Pending". Mechanically it is excellent and probably could be used RHW or LHW due to the fact that there is no line guard. One end of the reel foot has been shortened by 1/4". Pictures show the condition of this rare? atypical reel. $110 shipped. Sold pending payment