WTB gear transfer plates for Mitchell Cap 303 and Mitchell 304

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

WTB gear transfer plates for Mitchell Cap 303 and Mitchell 304

Post by Paul M »

A friend has a couple of old spinning reels that he would like to use but what I would describe as the "gear transfer plates" are worn out. The reels are a Mitchell Cap 303 and Mitchell 304. These are the older models with the round bodies. The parts I am looking for are the sub-assemblies that the handle arm screws into. The diagram below shows the area of the subassemblies I am seeking for each of these reels but the parts are different for each. Parts reels with these subassemblies in working order would be OK. It seems that the aluminum nipples on each of these plates has worn to the point where they have lost contact, no matter how I line them up.

Pick up in Tulsa would be ideal for me.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Dick Janak
Advanced Board Poster

Re: WTB gear transfer plates for Mitchell Cap 303 and Mitchell 304

Post by Dick Janak »

I have the part you are looking for.It is called the crosswind cam..It is the same for the 304 and 305..The 303 reel you mention is a big left handed salt water reel. You can email me at rjanak@hvc.rr.com... Thanks,,,Dick
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Dick, thanks you for your prompt offer. I will forward your contact info. The Mitchell Cap 303 that I inspected is a small reel that looks very similar to the Mitchell 304 with the small round body. It is not the larger SW model. The cam plate in Mitchell Cap 303 has a different function and is not as complex. They are definitely not the same.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Paul,

There is no Cap, or Mitchell or Garcia Mitchell Cap, 303, just the Cap, Mitchell Cap, etc., 304, 305, 314 & 315. Most Mitchell Caps (no Garcia etching) with a number originally had a yellow Garcia sticker on them that has long since seen its better days & worn off. Some had planamatic gearing but the later 304 & 305s didn't.

The Caps, Mitchell Caps & Garcia Mitchell Caps can be a confusing tangled web to some, but there never was any form of a Cap 303.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I’ll bet it’s the old Mitchell engraving script that's the culprit here. Many times the engraving of a 5 looks like a 3. There’s also the dashes on some of the mid 50’s models that make the 3-0-1 look like a 304. You see it in sellers listings all the time.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!