Men Fish & Tackle - Ralph Bandini - Joe Coxe

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Men Fish & Tackle - Ralph Bandini - Joe Coxe

Post by reeltackle »

FOR SALE -

A fine copy of Ralph Bandini's book about Joe Coxe and the Coxe big game reel.

MEN FISH and TACKLE

Published in 1936 by the Bronson Reel Co. after they bough the company from Joe Coxe.

This book is the story of Joe Coxe told by Joe Coxe to Tuna Club member Ralph Bandini. A book loaded with great photos and great history not only of Coxe reels, but also the Tuna Club in Avalon California and big game fishing as a sport. In this book Coxe claims he invented the star drag, a story that has created controversy among fishing tackle historians. Coxe was not just a maker of high quality reels, he was also a fine angler who caught world record fish as a member and president of the Tuna Club. Coxe was kicked out of the Tuna Club and his records were erased from their books. A great read and some wonderful old photos of big game fishing with Coxe reels.

A must have book for any big game reel collector or anyone interested in the history of big game fishing.

PRICE ............ $250.00

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Men Fish & Tackle - Ralph Bandini - Joe Coxe

Post by john elder »

Someone should steal this book quick! A must-have for BG collectors and this is a great price! Trust me!!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

“Coxe was kicked out of the Tuna Club and his records were erased from their books.”

Wait, what? Don’t leave us hanging, Ed. What was his offense?

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Misappropriated funds.......
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

`
On November 29, 1915 the Tuna Club's clubhouse on Catalina Island burned down along with many other buildings on Catalina Island. Coxe was the president of the Tuna Club at the time and took on the responsibility of having the new clubhouse built. Construction started in early 1916 and was finished in early June just as the 1916 season was kicking off.

From what I understand the funds that were spent to build the new clubhouse and the funds that were given to build the clubhouse did not quite balance out and Coxe was believed to be responsible for the missing money. Coxe was asked to leave the club and his fishing records were expunged from the Tuna Club's record books.

There does not seem to be a written record of this occurrence but it has been passed down orally and I believe that I first heard the story from Mike Farrior twenty-five or thirty years ago. Perhaps it is documented in some of the old Tuna Club records, if you want to find out more about this story I would recommend contacting Mike.

Coxe was an interesting character to say the least. His reels were second to none in their day and unlike many reel makers he was an avid angler who knew his way around a rod and reel.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.