Lane's Automatic Thumber

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Lane's Automatic Thumber

Post by leland99 »

I recently acquired this neat after market anti back lash device called a Lane's Automatic Thumber, by Ed Lane & Co of Wyoming, NY. This thing takes ABL to a whole new level!! I would love to find one either new or lightly used in the original box and any background info on this device. I am also interested in any other after market ABL's in original boxes. Already have the Kant, Tepker, Margis ABL's. Thanks, Bryce

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Lane's Automatic Thumber

Post by John Savu »

Bryce, As complicated as your Lane's Automatic Thumber is, that is how simple the Heddon Auto Thumber is. It was to be soldered to your rod handle. That will be a very interesting collection you are putting together. John
Heddonpal
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Heddonpal »

Think i have a Lanes Thumber in the box.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

John, thanks for the pic of the cool Heddon ABL.

All, I was sorting through some pictures on my PC this morning and spotted a photo of a Lane's box behind some reels. They were my reels!! I rush to my cabinet and find nestled amongst my various ABL's a Lane's Box with all new parts and instructions. Todays tip: Keep your written inventories up to date! HA! To make up for my oversight, I will share some photos of the ABL's I currently have. Still seeking ones I do not have. Bryce

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

I am also sharing a reel attachment, after market, that was attached to a Beetzel reel. Some of you may have seen this reel in the auction at the ORCA Tulsa National. General thoughts at the time were this may be some type of ABL. Anybody recognize this thing? Bryce

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bryce, see page 30 of my book.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Steve wrote:Bryce, see page 30 of my book.
Steve, thank you for the reference. Liddell's brush patented in 1919.
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat