Ambassador 5000C De Luxe 4 Bolt For Sale

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Ambassador 5000C De Luxe 4 Bolt For Sale

Post by mrdwrohde »

I have an unused Ambassadeur 5000C De Luxe 4 bolt for sale.
I do not have the box or the manual. I have tried to post good
pictures to show condition and what you will receive. It has belonged
to my Dad since new.
He is asking $1300 for it. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Last edited by mrdwrohde on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Ambassador 5000C De Luxe 4 Bolt For Sale

Post by big hoss »

Could you post photographs of the sides and a clear picture of the number under the reel's foot please? Thanks.
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mrdwrohde »

Sorry, I thought I had those in there.
I will add those this evening.
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mrdwrohde »

I added the two views to the post.
The initials are my Dad. I believe they were done by the factory.
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

Thanks for doing this for me. I have sought some serious opinions on the reel as the serial number seems to be quite high for this model.
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mrdwrohde »

These old reels are a new thing for me. I am trying to sel my Dads small collection for him.
I sold a couple of Penn 410's for him on this site and got hosed on the first one. I have been trying to
get a feel for the value better on this one surching ebay and talking to folks online.

Below is one of the replys:
Because they are so rare, it's difficult to determine value. I have only recorded 12 units that sold on Ebay. Of those 12 units, the most recent auction I recorded is December 2018 and it sold for $1,999.99. It was missing the booklet, otherwise, the teak wood box was complete.
I added up the rest of them and the average value came to $1,833.00 ea. The lowest value was $1,402 and the highest was $3,000 paid by a buyer in Japan. Some of the units had complete accessories, others did not have all the accessories but all the reels were either near mint to mint condition.
I know these wide value ranges don't help much but without more data, it's the best I can give you. The fact that they don't come to market often makes it difficult to nail down a fair price. Another thing that is risky, with values in mind, is the lack of collector knowledge. Some collectors know about the rare 4-screw version but most do not.
Regards, Fred

That being said, what is your thoughts on this reel?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

IMHO the informational source you posted is one of the most knowledgeable and honest people out there regarding the classic ABU Ambassadeur reels.

As always, it boils down to interest and what a buyer is willing to pay on any given day, if the seller is willing to part with it for that amount.

This reel looks to be in extremely nice condition, but, the engraved initials could very easily hurt the value.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

I agree with Midway Tommy - those initials are a strong negative and, therefore, I think your valuation is about right. Plus or minus a couple of hundred. If the exchange rate was a little more favourable for me I would happily pay this for the reel. Our dollar is about 0.60 US so that makes it jut too expensive for me. Pity.
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mrdwrohde »

Thanks for your input guys. Any info is appreciated. Again leaning on others input, I am told the lettering style suggests it was engraved at the factory. So they say although it is a minus it is not as bad as it would be if someone else did it.
I am hoping the rarity of it might outweigh it.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

mrdwrohde wrote:These old reels are a new thing for me. I am trying to sel my Dads small collection for him.
I sold a couple of Penn 410's for him on this site and got hosed on the first one. I have been trying to
get a feel for the value better on this one surching ebay and talking to folks online.

Below is one of the replys:
Because they are so rare, it's difficult to determine value. I have only recorded 12 units that sold on Ebay. Of those 12 units, the most recent auction I recorded is December 2018 and it sold for $1,999.99. It was missing the booklet, otherwise, the teak wood box was complete.
I added up the rest of them and the average value came to $1,833.00 ea. The lowest value was $1,402 and the highest was $3,000 paid by a buyer in Japan. Some of the units had complete accessories, others did not have all the accessories but all the reels were either near mint to mint condition.
I know these wide value ranges don't help much but without more data, it's the best I can give you. The fact that they don't come to market often makes it difficult to nail down a fair price. Another thing that is risky, with values in mind, is the lack of collector knowledge. Some collectors know about the rare 4-screw version but most do not.
Regards, Fred

That being said, what is your thoughts on this reel?
I agree with Big Hoss and Midway Tommy about the condition and the Engraving and to keep from getting Hosed here again as you posted you should put it on E- Bay and put a buy it now price and deal with those Hosers..........
IF it were me and my Fathers Reel I would buy it from him and keep it !
Regards and have a Happy Thanksgiving.......
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

I think you touched a nerve with your “I got hosed here” statement. eBay might be a better choice for an outlet. You have a fine reel there and I would hate for you to repeat your previous experience here on this site. Good luck with your sale.
Regards,
Randy McConnell
Reeltyme
mrdwrohde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mrdwrohde »

Whoah, my apology guys. I worded that wrong. I got hosed by me not doing my research. By no means was it any fault of this site. Everybody I have delt with here has been great. Yes the reel I sold was worth more, but I set the price. Later found out it was worth near double. That's on me.
That's why I like this site for the articles and input from others.
Again my apologies!
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

mrdwrohde wrote:Whoah, my apology guys. I worded that wrong. I got hosed by me not doing my research. By no means was it any fault of this site. Everybody I have delt with here has been great. Yes the reel I sold was worth more, but I set the price. Later found out it was worth near double. That's on me.
That's why I like this site for the articles and input from others.
Again my apologies!
Typing out responses here never seems to come out right and no offense taken however your BEST SHOT is to put this Rare Reel on E-bay if you want to get your Father a good arena to sell it but again I would KEEP it ............
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

Someone obviously has contact with Fred Ribb - for some unknown reason he has blocked me. We have always got on well so I wonder what is happening. I sent this email to Fred as requested by Simon Shimomura but had returned and notification that I was blocked. Could someone pass it on for me please?
Hi Fred - what do you actually make of the 5000CDL on ORCA. I think that, given the scruffy initial engraving US$1200 is a fair price and there are no Ebay charges to be paid. Simon asked that I mention the serial number as one shown in his "The Mystique of Ambassadeur......" mentions the number 10238 and the reel on ORCA carries the number 10237. Simon thought that the number 10238 was the lowest 3 screw known in his email reply to me however, I do not think this is true. I trust this finds you in good health Fred. Sadly, Simon has been having serious health problems but he tells me he is recovering which is fantastic news.

Kind regards

Alastair Hosking in New Zealand.