Anyone interested in Penn 49A’s?

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
Africa_Trekker
Big ORCA Fan

Anyone interested in Penn 49A’s?

Post by Africa_Trekker »

Long story short, I live in Namibia where many of the South African Penn 49A’s ended up. I would be willing to source and ship these to anyone as interested. But first I want to try and understand the demand? What are you guys willing to pay? Most of these reels would be in good condition but definitely used-good condition.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Anyone interested in Penn 49A’s?

Post by kyreels »

Thanks for taking the time to register and post, it is interesting to see world traffic.

The Penn 49 being a relatively recent model is generally available in very good condition in local countries including the US at very reasonable (low) prices. Most collectors here would look for that reel in excellent condition in the box. ORCA does not offer appraisals, but you can get a good idea of value by searching the online auction sites.

Now that you have posted, any ORCA member can contact you directly via the Contact link on the right hand side of your message.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If I remember correctly, The 49A came with a wider spool, larger volume version not often seen Stateside, so might be one that local Penn collectors would be looking for. Whether they would want one with lots of pitting and heavy use is less likely, but mIght not have to be NIB. Shipping from your part of the world would also factor heavily.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Africa_Trekker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Africa_Trekker »

Hi Kyreels and John,

Thanks for the responses. John you are correct, I am referring to the Penn 49A which is a wider spool than the Penn 49 that's available Stateside. Here I have a Senator 2/0, a regular Penn 49 as you would be familiar with, and two Penn 49A's. Again, I read on a post or two that the 49A's are desireable for American collectors. If that is the case I am willing to source and ship. We have DHL in Namibia so shipping would be pricey ($50-80) but dependable.

If there is no "reel" interest then its all the same to me. Just thought there might be some guys that are keen on finding one of these 49A's.

Sincerely,
Josh

https://images.orcaonline.org/u/24220/2 ... 282%29.jpg
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Your offer is generous, however here in the US the desirability and value is driven by the scarcity of the 49A.
If it becomes easily available, that desirability, scarcity, and potential value may dissolve. In other words it could drive the market down.
Just my two cents
-Chris R.
Peter
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Peter »

Hi Africa trekker
I am interested in penn 49A but it has to say 49A and not just 49 wide spool.
Is there way i can contact you via e mail or phone.
Please advise
Thank you
Peter
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Peter,

You can email any poster by clicking the Contact icon on the right-hand panel. When you click the Contact, you can either send an email or a personal message using this board.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Peter
Big ORCA Fan

Hi mate i need to contact you if possible please text me i will respond thank you peter

Post by Peter »

Africa_Trekker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:58 am Long story short, I live in Namibia where many of the South African Penn 49A’s ended up. I would be willing to source and ship these to anyone as interested. But first I want to try and understand the demand? What are you guys willing to pay? Most of these reels would be in good condition but definitely used-good condition.