Will pay well for a wood box like this, pic

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Will pay well for a wood box like this, pic

Post by John Savu »

Looking for all Redifor Rod+Reel Co. items, especially boxes and catalogs. Thanks, John
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Will pay well for a wood box like this, pic

Post by Mike N »

That’s a great box, John. I hope you flush out a few more. I live 65 miles from Warren and have never seen one,

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

John: I stumbled upon this a few days ago and thought I would share it. Redifor Rod and Reel Company. (1905). Catalogue of new things. Warren, Ohio. It's the coolest fishing tackle catalog I have seen in a while.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul M wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:25 am John: I stumbled upon this a few days ago and thought I would share it. Redifor Rod and Reel Company. (1905). Catalogue of new things. Warren, Ohio. It's the coolest fishing tackle catalog I have seen in a while.
Paul, that is a really cool catalog. And from Harvard no less. Tackle collecting is becoming quite the highbrow hobby.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Thanks Paul !! Harvard no less !! I have searched and searched to find a reference like that, but I never stumbled on that one. I do have that catalog and a 1913. They share the same cover, but the 1913 is in loose leaf format to add new pages and info, as they became available. There was only one reel in the 1905 catalog, the Redifor Reel. In the 1913 catalog at least seven different reels were pictured. In the 1913 catalog, George Upton states that they "Put Out" , previously, a Model A, B, and C reel, but I have not seen those reels ever referred to by their letter designations, in catalogs or advertising. They were always called THE REDIFOR REEL, but I have not seen all the catalogs or advertising. John
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I stumbled upon this a few days ago
Astounding catalog, Paul, chock full of rediscovered info:
1. The Redifor name had already been enshrined in song, at least in Trinidad (pg. 3). John, what would you be willing to pay for an Edison cylinder recording of that song? BTW, those are the only Trinidadian lyrics that ever included "tocsin."
2. The "Redifor" rod was available by May, 1904.
3. Casting from a reel was such a nightmare that no sane anglers would consider it before 1904 (pg. 20).
4. Some people, apparently paedophiles, fished with antique reels by 1905 (pg. 22).
Quiz:
1. The Redifor rod resembles what, when it is removed from the case? (ORCA members already know the answer.)
2. Points for anyone who can ID the deficient reel described at the top of page 23.
3. More points for IDing the "eastern manufacturer" mentioned in the next paragraph (pg. 23).
4. Extra credit for naming every constant-mesh reel clutch patented before Upton's.
5. Which two of Upton's patent claims are not strongly worded (pg. 23)?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The D & F models were advertised on this page in the 1909 edition of The angler's guide: a manual for campers and anglers. 5th annual ed. New York: Field and Stream Pub. Co... Randall, W. I couldn't find lower "model letters" in digital holdings of HathiTrust.

In the 1905 catalog, there was mention of plans for patents for foreign countries including Canada but I can't find any record of a Redifor patent in Canada. It was marketing spin which may explain why you have not seen records of the in-between models claimed to have been released.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

I believe that the Model A, Model B, and Model C Redifors , were just called THE REDIFOR REEL, until the Model D was named. Again, I have never seen a reference to the A, B, and C Redifors, until after the D was named. If you have proof from advertising or a catalog, please correct me. John
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Paul, thanks for sharing the Redifor Catalog. Most of us had not seen it before and appreciate it's significance.

Hey Steve, looks like the Redifor umbrella you mention in your July 2020 Reel News didn't make it into the catalog.

The Redifor reel shown in the catalog looks like the model described in the Coggeshall collection in the July 2020 Reel News.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey John, here's a teaser.

John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

YES, that is a TEASER!! Very nice !! John
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Hey Steve, looks like the Redifor umbrella you mention in your July 2020 Reel News didn't make it into the catalog.
Hey Ron:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."